59 responses

Marco van der Vlies Sep 25 '13 at 01:52 PM
Top Response
Note these may be stored under your Network/Contacts/Imported Contacts. At least in my case it showed a bunch of names/addresses from my email-account which I never did import. These kept coming up as "People you may know", even plain addresses... I deleted the bunch (you are not deleting your contacts) and the suggestions went away.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Carol Salmanson Sep 25 '13 at 03:31 PM
    Thank you so much, Marco!

There are several hundred names in there. LinkedIn is making it difficult to delete them (it keeps adding some back in after I delete them, and then gives me "request errors"), but I am thrilled to get these out of my LI account, however long it ends up taking me. I also hope that LI truly deletes them, but that might be too much to ask...

Thanks again!
    Carol
    Dan Rosner Dec 23 '13 at 07:10 PM
    Under Filter By, I don't see Imported Contacts. Which sort of reinforces the notion that I never Imported anybody, and yet somehow linked in found them. Even if I did somehow inadvertantly allow it to munge the list- I want to get rid of those folks. I don't want it to suggest people from my address book, however it got them.
    Murat Divringi Apr 01 at 09:45 PM
    I am uninstalling LinkedIn applications from my Android devices - as I strongly suspect they are scraping the android address book - which means that's how they are getting my Google contact book despite having no explicit authorization.

I do not have time to do network traces and a deep technical analysis of the matter but it stinks to high heaven and is definitely unauthorized in spirit - as linkedin knows also. They have zero trust of mine - and that actually will cost them as more and more people figure it out. This is not a FREE facebook account, I am already paying to have a Premium account - and don't need to get ripped off as a bonus.

Frustrated...
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Nicholas Louis Di Napoli, Sr. Sep 25 '13 at 04:29 PM
    Top Response
    I too am noticing the same. I never added certain people that now show up. Now there has been talk that somehow Facebook and LinkedIn are sharing information. All conjecture im sure but my question is this - how would linked in know about a new email address for a nephew who has nothing to do with linked in? How do they know "people you may know" if they are NOT on linked in? New contacts that I email through outlook that were NOT included in my approved email sync years ago are showing up. How is this happening
      Jimmy Guthrie Mar 03 at 03:28 PM
      Top Response
      LEE SHAWHAN'S METHOD WORKED FOR ME! Could not "Delete All" (that would be too easy), I had to click each tiny square box and delete 50 or so at a time. When I had 88 left, I was able to Select All and delete them.

Lee Shahwan MS, MBA
      This is what I discovered:

Go to NETWORK & click on "ADD CONNECTIONS". In the upper right hand side of the next page you should see a link in fine blue color that says "Manage Imported Contacts”. Click on it. Now Linkedin downloads all the imported contacts from your personal email accounts (addresses), outlook contacts and anything they stole from you without your permission along with people that you contacted thru Linkedin with their email address.

In other words any name with an associated email address from old address book or new is there. In my case there were 128 personal names that kept appearing to suggest connecting with. I even found on the list the people who have been dead for a long time & listed in my old address book. They were there....!

So now you can select all or go thru the list in alphabetical order and decide which ones stay & which ones should be deleted.

Look now at the bottom of that downloaded list & click on “DELETE SELECTED CONTACTS”. After you confirm you are sure to delete, the downloaded page is now empty of your personal contacts & the names shouldn't appear any more on suggested connections.
        Lee Shahwan MS, MBA Mar 03 at 04:21 PM
        Glad it worked for you Jimmy. I found yesterday few personal names to connect to but they were not in the imported list. I just "Xed" them out. Hope they will not come back.
        Jimmy Guthrie Mar 03 at 05:12 PM
        Yes, Lee, I still see some "People you may know" from the old imported list, but I am Xing them out and hoping they don't return.
        Brittney Elko Oct 10 '13 at 07:41 PM
        Top Response
        I never sent out any invitations using my imported contacts yet all of these people keep appearing in my "people you may know" list - I close them out and they reappear seconds later - I went to my Imported Contacts and deleted the entire list yet they keep showing up - I even tried removing that mail account and linking to a new one that has no contacts but I still keep seeing them in People you may know - and AGAIN - I never sent out requests to any of these people so that is not the issue
          George Coldren Oct 29 '13 at 04:59 PM
          Top Response
          Ok, I had this happen somehow that linkedin connected to my gmail contacts and started requesting to EVERYONE in my contacts list, including salespeople online, terrible ex girlfriend, people who are just still in my contacts that I never need, want to or otherwise will ever contact again... and then one day I get 50 new people and then every day since. Linkedin provides no direct fix to stop it...only to spend hours a day withdrawing as fast as their computers can find and add...and removing contacts which as Brittney Elko mentioned can only be done one at a time and takes ridiculous amounts of time...SO HERE'S HOW TO STOP IT. Create a new gmail or other email account...dont import contacts or anything, just leave it as an empty account, then set it to forward to your regular email account...then go into linkedin email settings, and add it as your new email address and upon confirmation links to verify, simply delete/remove your other email address from linkedin and it stops because there are no contacts for Linkedin to harvest in this new empty account. BOOM, take that LinkedIn ;)
            Carol Salmanson Nov 14 '13 at 10:12 PM
            Top Response
            Lee, that's the BEST answer! My problem seems to have solved itself and disappeared (or LinkedIn corrected it), but that's great information for everyone else who's been having the same issue.

Thanks!
              James Williams Dec 15 '13 at 10:43 PM
              Top Response
              I just got a great Christmas present from LinkedIn. I KNOW I have never given permission to mine my email address books and I frequently change my password but still LinkedIn keeps asking about "people you may know" that could ONLY have come from my confidential email address books. Today LinkedIn asked about a very, very close friend that I hadn't spoken to or seen for over two years BECAUSE SHE DIED OF A HEART ATTACK TWO YEARS AGO AT A VERY YOUNG AGE. There is no possible way that LinkedIn could have possibly gotten that name and email address without unauthorised access to my email address books. Thank you so much LinkedIn for desecrating my memories of such a dear and personal friend. I hope you have a Merry Christmas too.
                Les Hoffman Jan 24 at 09:04 PM
                Top Response
                This has been an ongoing problem for me. I did do as suggested and made sure all lists were removed. That seemed to fix it for a short time. However, I'm starting to see names/emails of people from my iPhone contacts that I haven't accessed for years. They are coming through just as I have them entered in my iPhone which in many cases gives it away 100% as the source.

I think this is a blatant disregard for our privacy and uses our data without permission.

LinkedIn needs to do something about it retain any sort of credibility as far as I'm concerned.
                  Craig Fiedler Feb 09 at 03:20 AM
                  Top Response
                  What a Crappy explanation for frauding LinkedIn users.
                  Not politically correct terms but best description to abusing lack of explanation, using disclaimers for excuses. The Value of Linked In seems to be diminishing.
                    Jeff Miller Feb 19 at 03:20 AM
                    Top Response
                    I just went back to my Imported contacts and they all came back again ... ARRGGG !!!
                      10|0 characters needed