3 responses

Charles Caro Sep 23 '13 at 05:34 PM
Top Response
At some point in the recent past you either opened or "synced" your email address book to LinkedIn for the purpose of sending out invitations and you clicked to proceed with the operation before you fully read and understood what was about to happen.

In opening your email address book to LinkedIn without fully reading the instructions you explicitly allowed LinkedIn to send an invitation to *every* email address stored in your email address book. Many email clients default to automatically saving the email address from every message received, which is all too frequently unknown by the user.

LinkedIn not only sent an invitation to each of the email addresses in your email address book but also LinkedIn will send out two (2) invitation reminders to each email address in your email address book.

If you have any doubt regarding whether or not the invitations came from your account take a look at your "pending" invitations. Click on the "Inbox" link at the top of your LinkedIn homepage. Then click the "Invitations" tab and finally the "Sent" link appearing to the left side of the screen. You will see a list of all of the invitations sent through your account. If you don't see an "Accepted" associated with the message, it is a "pending" invitation, which you can open and use the "withdraw" feature. The only way an invitation gets into the "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder is when the member authorizes the invitation to be sent, and that can happen only when the member provides their email password to LinkedIn. LinkedIn has absolutely no way of accessing a member's email address book unless the member gives LinkedIn access. You may not recognize all of the names on the invitations because the "default" setting for most email clients is to "save" the email address for *all* inbound messages regardless of whether or not the user "replies" or moves the message to the "junk" folder. The whole "open your email address book" feature is seriously flawed in its design and implementation, but ultimately once the invitations go out it is the member's problem.

The *only* way you can stop the invitation reminders from going out is by going to your LinkedIn "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder where you must open each pending invitation and click on the "Withdraw" option. This must be done for each pending invitation on a one-by-one basis.

While it is true LinkedIn Customer Service can do the "withdraw" procedure with fewer keystrokes than a member it is important to remember it now takes LinkedIn Customer Service staffers up to 7-10 days to get to and process any service ticket, and all service tickets are handled on a strict FIFO basis regardless of where the service ticket originates. In the meantime LinkedIn will continue to send out the reminder invitations, and the recipients will have additional opportunity to respond to the invitation(s) by clicking on the "Report Spam" or "I Don't Know" options, which will ultimately lead to your account being restricted.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Afton Aurand Jan 16 at 05:01 AM
    Top Response
    The same thing is happening to me - however there are no "pending" invitations when I go there and none of these people are anyone I know, or email addresses that I've conversed with. Something else is up.
      Charles Caro Jan 17 at 01:40 AM
      @Afton - Did you go to the following:

https://www.linkedin.com/inbox/invitations/sent
      LinkedIn Member May 10 at 08:34 PM
      Top Response
      I did not do this, only because Linked in tries to get people to do this when they first open their account, and if you do it, people get angry, and your account will be restricted. Linked in will continue to try to get you to do it. I know better than to try it. I don't want to create bad feelings, nor do I want my account restricted. I think more likely is that someone else did it to me. During the last week of March, the entire month of April and the first week of May, I've been lucky to get 8 hours of sleep a week. This person sent me an invitation, I was too sleep deprived and clicked it and moved on, that's an easy fix.
        Charles Caro May 10 at 10:00 PM
        @LM - If you have any doubt regarding whether or not the invitations came from your account, go to the following:

https://www.linkedin.com/inbox/#sent

You will see a list of all of the invitations sent through your account. If you don't see an "Accepted" associated with the message, it is a "pending" invitation, which you can open and use the "withdraw" feature. The only way an invitation gets into the "Inbox/Sent" folder is when the member authorizes the invitation to be sent, and that can happen only when the member provides their email password to LinkedIn. LinkedIn has absolutely no way of accessing a member's email address book unless the member gives LinkedIn access. You may not recognize all of the names on the invitations because the "default" setting for most email clients is to "save" the email address for *all* inbound messages regardless of whether or not the user "replies" or moves the message to the "junk" folder. The whole "open your email address book" feature is seriously flawed in its design and implementation, but ultimately once the invitations go out it is the member's problem.

The *only* way you can stop the invitation reminders from going out is by going to your LinkedIn "Inbox/Sent" folder where you must open each pending invitation and click on the "Withdraw" option. This must be done for each pending invitation on a one-by-one basis.

LinkedIn Customer Service can do the "withdraw" procedure with fewer keystrokes than a member, but the member must send a message to LinkedIn Customer Service requesting the "withdraw" of all "pending" invitations.
        Charles Caro May 10 at 10:01 PM
        @LM - Bear in mind the "invitations" feature is severely flawed because LinkedIn opens a members email address book with *all* of the entries selected. The instructions for the member are to "select" those entries you want to receive an invitation, but far too many LinkedIn members think they must click an entry to select it to receive an invitation. In fact, when a member clicks an entry they are "unselecting" it. The net effect is every entry in the email address book except those the member wanted to receive an invitation actually get an invitation. For example, if a member has 500 entries in their email address book and they want to send an invitation to fifty (50) entries, they would have to "unselect" 450 entries to ensure only the fifty (50) receive an invitation.
        10|0 characters needed