21 responses

Jason Lovell Sep 08 '13 at 11:33 AM
Top Response
I had a similar situation and I am not happy about this at all. The intention I had by integrating my outlook to Linked in WAS NOT to send out invites to all of my contacts. I was expecting this to work with "Selected Contacts". You are correct where I did not read all of the information so finding this out was the hard way after many hundreds of invites were sent out to many individuals and especially some people where I would have preferred not to send them an invite. I have lost a tremendous amount of trust and confidence in Linked in due to this.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Charles Caro Sep 04 '13 at 02:59 AM
    Top Response
    At some point in the recent past you opened your email address book to LinkedIn for the purpose of sending out invitations and you clicked to proceed with the operation before you fully read and understood what was about to happen.

In opening your email address book to LinkedIn without fully reading the instructions you explicitly allowed LinkedIn to send an invitation to *every* email address stored in your email address book. Many email clients default to automatically saving the email address from every message received, which is all too frequently unknown by the user.

LinkedIn not only sent an invitation to each of the email addresses in your email address book but also LinkedIn will send out two (2) invitation reminders to each email address in your email address book.

If you have any doubt regarding whether or not the invitations came from your account take a look at your "pending" invitations. Click on the "Inbox" link at the top of your LinkedIn homepage. Then click the "Invitations" tab and finally the "Sent" link appearing to the left side of the screen. You will see a list of all of the invitations sent through your account. If you don't see an "Accepted" associated with the message, it is a "pending" invitation, which you can open and use the "withdraw" feature. The only way an invitation gets into the "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder is when the member authorizes the invitation to be sent, and that can happen only when the member provides their email password to LinkedIn. LinkedIn has absolutely no way of accessing a member's email address book unless the member gives LinkedIn access. The whole "open your email address book" feature is seriously flawed in its design and implementation, but ultimately once the invitations go out it is the member's problem.

The *only* way you can stop the invitation reminders from going out is by going to your LinkedIn "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder where you must open each pending invitation and click on the "Withdraw" option. This must be done for each pending invitation on a one-by-one basis.

While it is true LinkedIn Customer Service can do the "withdraw" procedure with fewer keystrokes than a member it is important to remember it now takes LinkedIn Customer Service staffers up to 7-10 days to get to and process any service ticket, and all service tickets are handled on a strict FIFO basis regardless of where the service ticket originates. In the meantime LinkedIn will continue to send out the reminder invitations, and the recipients will have additional opportunity to respond to the invitation(s) by clicking on the "Report Spam" or "I Don't Know" options, which will ultimately lead to your account being restricted.
      Jason Lovell Sep 08 '13 at 11:53 AM
      I have been trying to use your "Withdraw" option, but I am having difficulty. The options I see are Achive or Delete. Please provide additional informaiton on this.
      Jason Lovell Sep 08 '13 at 11:59 AM
      OK, I have figured it out how to Withdraw. Very time consuming. I am not happy at all with Linked in right now and I have lost a lot of trust and confidence with everything about Linked in.
      Michael Filak Sep 12 '13 at 01:19 PM
      Top Response
      Yes but I never opened my address book to LinkedIn and invites are going out to people that aren't in my address book.
        Tony Telfer Sep 19 '13 at 10:10 PM
        Top Response
        I had a similar experience to Jason, I was simply linking my phone to my laptop's LinkedIn contacts (or so I thought). During the sign-in process, there was no alternative to sync in this way. Instead, the "Sync" process sent invitations to 900 people, most of whom I don't know and I can only assume may have been contacted via email with work-related answers to their questions. I was half way through Charles Caro's "Withdraw" process of these hundreds of people, and LinkedIn has locked me out, probably thinking I was spamming it. "Furious" is the most polite word I can think of (although others come to mind !). LinkedIn seriously needs to fix this sign-in syncing problem !!
          Amy Speer Sep 22 '13 at 09:16 PM
          Top Response
          Me too Michael, Imagine my angst as every student who ever emailed me has received an invitation to join my network. And the invites are not visible in my sent invitations folder. Not happy.
            Andrew Feinberg Nov 18 '13 at 01:56 PM
            Top Response
            I have had a similar experience. LinkedIn has even sent an invitation to my wireless printer since that has an email address.
              Brian Boschen, C.P.M. Apr 14 at 05:30 PM
              Did your printer accept?
              Eric Scott Wilson Feb 06 at 06:55 PM
              Top Response
              I am prepared to delete my LinkedIn account because of this very issue. Big mess.
                Tami Hund Mar 26 at 05:26 PM
                Top Response
                I have lost a considerable amount of respect for Linkedin based on this single issue. What they're doing is childish.
                  Steve Kluskens Apr 10 at 01:14 PM
                  Top Response
                  This is a continuing problem. Invitations were sent from my account to email people I don't know, to email addresses I have never sent to, and even to two email addresses of mine. I don't use my LinkedIn account except as a placeholder against identity theft. I only log in less than annually to turn off new contact settings when they're added. Complete loss of credibility for LinkedIn.
                    Richard Lloyd Oct 03 '13 at 03:25 AM
                    Top Response
                    I too had the same problem as everyone else here. It's unbelievable that they would even consider setting up this type of system, who in there right mind thought that sending an invite to every single contact in your email history would be a good idea! The vast majority of emails in my history are work related with customers that I have minor dealings with and don't know on a personal basis. I agree with Jason and have lost a lot of confidence and trust with linkedin because of this. Not to mention the embarrassment of have people ask me all the time about why I'm "pestering" them to join Linkedin because not only does it send the invite it then harasses people with reminders about the invitation! I'm tempted to close my account down over this disgraceful programming!
                      10|0 characters needed