37 responses

Oldest
Simon Hamer Feb 03 '13 at 02:42 PM
Top Response
This may be the issue
Here's the link from the Help Centre
http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40
Clearing Unsent Invitations
How do I get Outlook to stop re-sending invitations repeatedly?

If your Outlook system is trying to send invitations repeatedly, it's possible that your "Unsent Invitations" folder needs to be cleared.

To clear your Unsent Invitations folder in Outlook:

Open your Outlook application.
Click the "+" symbol next to your Outbox folder.
Click the Unsent Invitations folder.
Clear any contents in that folder.
=======================
If this is not the issue, let us know through here.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Karim Trad Feb 03 '13 at 11:11 PM
    Thank you Simon, but I do not have outlook on my computer. I use a mac without such software.
    And Brij - I am working on a pic for my profile. But your directions did not help (or I did something wrong). Can you be more specific with your step by step instructions? Thanks
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Brijendra Chaudhary Feb 03 '13 at 07:37 PM
    Top Response
    Withdraw Connection | Inbox > Sent > Open Message ( Withdraw ) |
    Once upon a time you imported your address book
      Brijendra Chaudhary Feb 03 '13 at 07:37 PM
      Please add a profile pic.
      Charles Caro Feb 04 '13 at 06:01 AM
      Top Response
      While a member might make a mistake in "clicking" too eagerly when prompted to open their email address book for the purpose of sending out invitations such "inadvertently" sent out invitations never go out without the member "clicking" to approve the "send" operation.

All too many LinkedIn members wind up spending hours using the "withdraw" feature on a one-by-one basis to undo an inadvertent "click".

Perhaps LinkedIn should add a step showing the member a list of exactly who will be receiving invitations prior to the "click" to proceed with the "send" operation. It seems only fair to the member, especially for the new member. I have always thought the procedure for sending out such invitations worked exactly the opposite of how most people would think it would work.
        Angela Conte Feb 27 '13 at 07:49 PM
        So your saying Charles that those of us who are not even opening our email address book and rarely if ever sending out invites are actually sending out invites with a click of a button because we're going too fast and inadvertently hitting buttons all day, and inviting people we know have died, people we don't like, and people we don't know or are even in our industry? This is nonsense your putting out. Maybe you are doing this, but what you've said here is not relevant to me and I imagine many others on this thread or are suffering in silence, or have just defect from linkedin all together.
        Dinesh RAMKRISHNA Feb 04 '13 at 06:09 AM
        Top Response
        Greetings Karim:

Assume you have by mistake provided your mail id and password for Importing the contacts and in process allowed LI to sent invitations..now all this starts if we dont read those messages while import.

What options you have now:

1. Withdrawn the outstanding invitations.
        2. Remove connections ( which you think are unintentional )

Note: In future make sure not to give your mail ID and password.

How to Withdrawn Outstanding invitations:

Quick Reference Link
        https://help.linkedin.com/app/ask/path/wapi

In many cases, you can withdraw an invitation if the recipient hasn't taken any action.

(1) Click “INBOX” ( the top of your home page )
        (2) Click “SENT” on the left.
        (3) Click “ SENT INVITATIONS” tab under the top navigational bar.

Find an invitation without "Accepted" by the name.
        (4) Click the subject line of the invitation.
        (5) Click “WITHDRAW”.

If the Withdraw button isn't there, the invitation can't be withdrawn. (It may have already expired.)

HOW: To remove connection:

(1) Click CONTACTS ( at the top of your home page)
        (2) Click the REMOVE CONNECTIONS ( link in the upper right of the Connections page)
        (3) Check the BOXES next to the people you want to remove.
        (4) Click REMOVE Connections.

Hope this HELP'S

Regards,
        -Dinesh
          Virginia Benedict Feb 26 '13 at 12:24 PM
          Yes, why do we not keep blaming the user when in fact all of these security, privacy, and functionality issues are the result of poorly implemented code and other anti-social implementation policies.

Linkedin is maintaining two versions of my profile, for example; as a result, when I visit my profile Linkedin locks up and crashes. However, they insist that the problem stems from my local machine.

I have recreated and documented the problem repeatedly. They claim to have deleted the spoofed profile but that spoofed profile still exists.

Otherwise, your instructions are very nicely depicted and easy to follow Dinesh.
          Nancy Schramm Feb 26 '13 at 04:14 PM
          Seiously, Dinesh?! Do you think we have the time for this!? No, it doesn't help AT ALL!
          Julieta Stack Feb 06 '13 at 05:54 PM
          Top Response
          I find it incredibly irritating that Linked In sends invitations to people that I did not ask to join me. What is going on? I asked one person to join me today and it sent out invites to a bunch of other people. I don't want to spend time withdrawing. Is anyone else having this problem?
            Charles Caro Feb 27 '13 at 04:29 PM
            The problem is the feature works the exact opposite of what is expected, and LinkedIn fails to show a list of who is about to receive an invitation before the deed is done.
            Eva Diaz-Santana Feb 07 '13 at 10:47 PM
            Top Response
            This is happening to me as well, On February 1st LinkedIn sent several invitations to people I didn't know. This behavior is very annoying and it doesn't make any sense that I have to withdraw invitations not sent by myself. Besides, some people already accepted the invitation. What should I do now? Remove connections? That's rude...first I send invitations and after I remove them?
              Janet Gatehouse Feb 12 '13 at 02:45 PM
              This is happening to me as well. I didn't supply any email address or password. Bottom line--does anyone know how to make this stop or how to contact LinkedIn? I'm amazed that people who don't know me are accepting these invitations. Thanks.
              Angela Conte Feb 09 '13 at 12:49 AM
              Top Response
              I haven't connected any of my email accounts with linkedin or sent out any invites but I just got a notice from a guy who visited my profile recently that he accepted my invite. Don't know the guy nor did I send him and invite. There is definitely something going on with linkedin. Maybe a viral bug?
                Angela Conte Feb 27 '13 at 08:01 PM
                It must be intentional or linkedin would have fixed this problem by now.
                Michele Demark Feb 09 '13 at 05:19 AM
                Top Response
                There is definitely something wrong. I noticed these uninvited acceptances a week ago, so I checked my outstanding invites and deleted 4 or 5 that hadn't already accepted. Now more are popping up every day. These are not people in any other email system and they weren't in the sent folder a few days ago.
                  Charles Caro Feb 27 '13 at 04:30 PM
                  The problem is the feature works the exact opposite of what is expected, and LinkedIn fails to show a list of who is about to receive an invitation before the deed is done.
                  Scott Fergusson Feb 11 '13 at 04:11 PM
                  Top Response
                  LinkedIn is proactively sending invitations "from" me to people with 2nd degree connections. I have never imported my address book, and even if I did, these people aren't in it!

How is it not a violation of the TOS for LinkedIn to impersonate me by suggesting to someone I've never met that I want them to connect with me?
                    Virginia Benedict Feb 26 '13 at 12:25 PM
                    That is a privacy issue, if you asked me...
                    Jim Overdahl Feb 26 '13 at 04:59 PM
                    It does seem to me to be a form of identity theft. It is embarrassing and clearly inconsistent with the aims of a professional network. I have opened a customer service ticket but have not received a response. I can only hope that LinkedIn staff monitor this forum and can see the problem is it causing. I am eager for an explanation.
                    Charles Caro Feb 27 '13 at 04:31 PM
                    When you view your LinkedIn "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder you will see you did, in fact, authorized sending out the invitations. The problem is the feature works the exact opposite of what is expected, and LinkedIn fails to show a list of who is about to receive an invitation before the deed is done.
                    Scott Vigil Feb 11 '13 at 08:31 PM
                    Top Response
                    I was contacted by a person I never met and upon searching how linkin got that information I found that my email had been hacked and sent out a 'job professionals' SPAM email wich inturn added him to my contacts history wich in turn linkedin obtained and is further spamming him in my name. I suspect foul play.

ADDITIONALLY I am currently involved in a court case and linkedin is putting me in very real danger of court no-contact violation!

I know How to remove CONNECTIONS, but I have yet to find a way to remove the 610 imported CONTACTS list which apparently is separate and distinct.

I tried calling but no good, and the answers page linkedin has taken down. Somebody please help!
                      Angela Conte Feb 11 '13 at 09:49 PM

Scott, Given your small networking list, you may want to try canceling your linkedin account and rejoining with new email address that hasn't been hacked. Just an idea. Not even sure it would work. Good luck
                      Dennis Brantley Feb 25 '13 at 07:26 PM
                      If you go to 'Connections', there is a tab for 'Imported Contacts'.

This question is closed