6 responses

Sean Holden Moderator Jun 18 '13 at 04:50 PM
Top Response
Hi James! Thanks for visiting the forums. Skill endorsements from your connections are basically a way for your connections to confirm that you hold skills in specific areas. For more information on how these work, check out this article from our help center: http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31888
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Jo Toon Jul 02 '13 at 12:51 AM
    Top Response
    I agree - this is very badly implemented - I am currently being endorsed (multiple times - I think I have about 10 endorsements from him) by an ex-colleague for skills and experience that I didn't have when I worked with him.

Therefore it makes a mockery of the whole thing, and means that I view with complete cynicism endorsements on anybody's profile.
      Matthew Epstein Aug 01 '13 at 10:19 PM
      Top Response
      I have been receiving endorsements for "new skills". Usually the person endorsing doesn't know for a fact that I have this "new skill". The "new skill" is always something that I have not listed as one of my skills. Is Linked In prompting my connections to endorse me for skills I have not listed? That is the only way I see this happening. If so, please do not prompt my connections to endorse me for skills I have not listed. It dilutes the endorsements, especially if the "new skill" is a listed skill under a slightly different name.
        Charles Caro Jun 18 '13 at 04:09 PM
        Top Response
        In fact, the *only* people able to give you an "Endorsement" is one of your 1st level connections, and LinkedIn stipulates a member must "know" their 1st level connections.

The "Endorsements" feature is very poorly designed and implemented on LinkedIn, and it falls into the category of things where the adage "When you break an egg you make an omelet". Giving "Endorsements" does help your 1st level connections because the "skills" are weighted in a keyword search.

Cass Reed Aug 09 '13 at 11:36 PM
          Top Response
          I am getting endorsements (obviously suggested to others by LinkedIn) for 'skills' that I don't know what they mean. I know people are simply wanting to be kind and helpful by accepting the suggestion that gets asked of them over and over, but sometimes a definition would be nice. What the heck does 'residential homes' mean?? Buy them? Build them? Sell them? Design them? If it means fix them up then my endorsements are valid but otherwise it's rather vague and mysterious.
          I must agree with others on this conversation, this feature is very poorly implemented.
            Paul Pellegrini Oct 25 '13 at 09:12 PM
            Top Response
            Endorsements is a joke. More times than not, the people endorsing have no idea what my skills are. To call it a nuisance is the best description. Kill it or fix it (preferably kill it). People I know show endorsements that I know are incorrect representation of their skills. Can I remove endorsements that are nonsense?
              10|0 characters needed