212 responses

Jeff Bomm Jun 21 '13 at 03:37 PM
Top Response
I agree wholeheartedly. If you are anonymous, you should not be allowed to view other profiles. I would not let you in my house, if I did not know who you were, or would I let you in to my place of employment. Linked In should remove this option, or allow others to block those users.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Elizabeth Limardo-Shaver Jul 03 '13 at 05:46 PM
    Specially wrong with a premium account...
    Michael Pelini Jul 11 '13 at 01:00 AM
    Yes, as a paying member I want this option!
    Melissa Dewsnap-Gons Aug 12 '13 at 11:40 PM
    I totally agree. It is uncomfortable to see all these "ANONYMOUS" people who have been viewing you. If they are staying anonymous, they must have something to hide. This needs to be changed.
    Adil Malik [Official] Sep 24 '13 at 06:21 PM
    If we a Premium subscriber, they should not be allowed to view our information ''Anonymously''. Pathetic !!
    Joe Vivion Dec 10 '13 at 10:26 PM
    Go in and change everything on all your profile options to basically say "I won't put anything personal on here unless LinkedIn changes this BS rule."
    See More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Judy Phillips Jun 19 '13 at 09:53 PM
    Top Response
    I don't quite understand why someone can look at your profile and remain anonymous. I don't get it. So, let me get this straight. People can check you out anonymously and you are not allowed to know who it is. Wow!
      Margaret A Ost Jun 19 '13 at 10:02 PM
      Recruiters are a business segment for them here, which is no doubt one reason.
      Elizabeth Limardo-Shaver Jul 03 '13 at 05:49 PM
      If someone has a premium account has the right to know who is checking their information... recruiters or not
      Robert Radlach Sep 02 '13 at 09:13 PM
      I totally agree Judy. I have viewers and would like to know who they are.
      Susan Coxe Sep 27 '13 at 03:55 PM
      I am in complete agreement - someone has been checking me out repeatedly for months and now I'm getting anonymous checks. Same person? I don't know. I find this very disturbing.
      George Cunningham Nov 04 '13 at 01:29 PM
      I think there is rationale behind this - some companies prefer to remain anonymous because they want to have the liberty to look at your profile without having to worry that you might go to them afterward inquiring about a job you might or might not be a good candidate for, or just offering your candidacy to work for the company in any capacity. It's always tricky (if not downright awkward) to tell someone (after they've seen their profile) that they don't think he/she is the right candidate for the job or a good fit for the company. That is, in the ideal case scenario that they get back to you, which they should, but don't have to. I think it's sort of like when you send your resume to a company, and you don't even know who is going to receive it, and you only hear from him/ her when he or she shows an interest in you.

Despite all this, I think this is something that LinkedIn could do differently - like *only* allowing recruiters to do this (and not just anybody). Let's not forget that LinkedIn is also designed for recruiters, and the website may need to cater to their preferences as well.
      See More
      Mark Anderson Jun 20 '13 at 11:00 PM
      Top Response
      Anonymous viewing is the same as spying or stalking. When paying for a premium membership this should not be allowed. Is this the NSA? Pay to play. If some one looks the viewed has the right to see the viewer.
        Marc Pacino Jun 26 '13 at 05:32 PM
        Jeff & Mark:

As a former Chief of Contracting for two Federal-Military agencies I have never, ever seen this type of practice on any public venue. This is actually "promoting" spying and allows your competition to literally know and steal from you. Can we anything about it, probably not since it would take a large volume of subscribers to protest.

Mark is "Spot On". If your a Premium subscriber, they should not be allowed to view your information Anonymously.

Short Story:

I have "caught" three Business Development Directors take my information, restructure it to "look"like their own ideas, and when I had contacted their CEO's and forwarded my Linkedin comments "Busted". Two of their BD directors were let go, and both firms retained me for a four month federal consulting assignment.

I believe in sharing and all anyone has to do is contact me as I provide free advice to anyone developing their Federal contracting "footprint", but ask, and don't be unprofessional about it. Best to all in 2013.

Marc Pacino
        Pilar Menéndez Apr 25 at 02:38 PM
        I have harassment issues with someone, It should be illegal to appear anonymous. Our freedom and safety are in play. Your company should not allow this one,one more day., We are adults and should be fair play not anonymous spy Perhaps could be a Government agency or so. Fahrenheit 451 all over!!!!
        Grace A Brauchle Jun 27 at 01:44 AM
        this is my concern, private pages being able to view my page anonymously. I know that there is someone stalking my page and I keep getting an anonymous viewer, but the only thing I can do about it is to delete my account. That's not right LinkedIn
        Robin D. Hutson, PHR Aug 05 at 07:57 PM
        It's true --- I have a few 'stalkers' who like to check my profile regularly... and it's quite distressing... I've wanted to cancel and close my account for this reason alone - and only... I feel harrassed...
        See More
        Marc Pacino Jun 23 '13 at 12:41 AM
        Top Response
        In federal contracting many individuals literally "spy" and steal from your information. Linkedin should discourage this by placing an option not to allow Anonymous review of your profile.
        Linkedin users should complain.
          Clarence J Patrick Jun 24 '13 at 09:26 PM
          I totally agree this sould not be allowed.
          Elizabeth Limardo-Shaver Jul 03 '13 at 05:45 PM
          I totally agree..
          Kate Mulligan Oct 09 '13 at 05:09 AM
          I am with you, it is creepy and unethical. What action can we take to prevent this, outside of closing our account?
          John Allen Apr 19 at 05:10 AM
          I wonder if the Anonymous Option for Lurkers could contravene legal processes, by facilitating lurking and spying. For example, where a member has a court order or restraint upon a third party. It's annoying for me, the Anonymous Option- but I empathize with the ladies that have commented- sexist I know, but they seem to have more reason to be concerned. It would be morally wrong to allow privacy for paid subscribers, but still allow the spying to take place on basic (free) account holders.
          Cynthia Colindres Jul 23 at 09:03 PM
          Thank you, Marc. Excellent point made. I agree totally. It's happened to me on more than one occasion and it creeps me out.
          See More
          Ashutosh ShriPrakash Pandey Jun 27 '13 at 07:44 PM
          Top Response
          Just because of this policy, I am planning to cancel my premium business subscription.
            Elizabeth Limardo-Shaver Jul 03 '13 at 05:50 PM
            Same here... Just a matter of days...
            Sheila Carr Sep 19 '13 at 06:27 PM
            So basically anyone that has a business premium account can do this?
            Marcus van Riet Apr 24 at 07:58 AM
            no premium doesn't change a thing,
            anyone noticed linkedIn getting greedier?
            if a feature is not tied down they find a way to charge extra for it.
            See More
            John White Jun 27 '13 at 05:40 PM
            Top Response
            I agree as well Marc. This should be a two way street. Someone could be looking at our information and stealing it. I plan to modify my information appropriately. Need to start a competitior site that doesn't allow this type of activity.

At the very most a anonymous should get is name and occupation.
              Elizabeth Limardo-Shaver Jul 03 '13 at 05:50 PM
              Create that site and will follow..
              Cynthia Colindres Jul 23 at 09:06 PM
              Let me know when you get it started, John. I will be on board. I have had to put information on my account that is no ones business and I don't like it. I am a very private person and I don't broadcast my life on any social sites.
              See More
              Sasha Watson BSc(Hons) Jun 28 '13 at 10:32 AM
              Top Response
              Me too it is creepy and Linkedin must stop this activity with immediate effect. You just don't know who is looking at your profile, is stealing your information or worse getting off on it. If I upgraded my membership I am pretty sure that it would worsen the views. Which is why it remains at the basic level until they do something about it.
                Elizabeth Limardo-Shaver Jul 03 '13 at 05:51 PM
                I have the premium account and people can check my information anonymously ... I don't understand it...
                Elizabeth Parra Jul 04 '13 at 01:04 AM
                Even on the basic level, I am getting numerous anonymous views. It is very unsettling. I may delete this profile if nothing is done about it and I definitely won't upgrade if I'm going to get even more of these mystery viewers.
                See More
                Vicki L Jones Jun 26 '13 at 04:58 PM
                Top Response
                This is absurd!! I just had a "I'll look at you, but you can't know who I am" view of my profile. The point of this site is to network, so I can not think of any legitimate reason why someone would legitimately need to remain anonymous if viewing a profile for any legitimate reason! Not Happy !!
                  Judy Phillips Jun 26 '13 at 07:23 PM
                  Exactly! I have two of them who checked me out. It makes me feel very uncomfortable and I'm paying for it, too.
                  Vicki L Jones Jun 28 '13 at 07:50 PM
                  Oh Lord...now I'm getting that strange message from "Hibaby Cynthia." This is getting as bad as CraigsList! Why is this happening? Did something change regarding access/validation on LI?
                  See More
                  Frank Cherup Jun 27 '13 at 09:48 PM
                  Top Response
                  I've had anonymous viewers of my account every other day this past week and a half. Up until that time, I do not ever remember this happening. It's starting to creep me out. I am shocked this is allowed to happen on LinkedIn.
                    Margaret A Ost Jun 27 '13 at 09:56 PM
                    I always have had them, if I even look at it.
                    See More
                    Meg Muller Jun 28 '13 at 05:31 PM
                    Top Response
                    not only am I receiving more anonymous views, I'm now getting more international views...it's creepy. I don't pay for the premium nor feel I should in order to protect my security
                      Francesca Sperrazzo Jul 31 '13 at 09:59 PM
                      Meg, I too am getting international views. I guess Linkedin doesn't mind voyeurism.

Uday Mhatre Feb 16 at 07:02 AM
                      At least the person who views your profile should be traceable.
                      See More
                      10|0 characters needed