6 responses

Charles Caro Feb 01 '13 at 03:47 PM
Top Response
If you see a message from someone in your LinkedIn "Inbox" you regard as spam, including something from someone you consider a stalker, you can click the "Report Spam" tab/link above the message to permanently stop that individual from sending you messages.

Other than that LinkedIn is an open and public social networking website for 200+ million individual professionals located literally around the globe. All privacy are, and have been, applied to anybody and everybody wanting to view a profile with no settings allowing a member to block an individual.

It is simply the nature of the Internet.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Rommel Nobay Feb 12 '13 at 10:26 PM
    Top Response
    We are past the need to explain why this is a critical security feature ... That LI hasn't done this and has come up with laughable explanations as to "why" is going to be a massive liability when someone gets hurt or worse by someone stalking them via LI ... the arrogance (or incompetence) is incredible! ... I will be transferring my profile as soon as there is a viable option ... being the 800 lb gorilla in the industry is based on you being able to *DELIVER* for your customers/content providers ... remember WordPerfect, Corel, MySpace, Geocities - yeah
      Adel de Meyer Feb 12 '13 at 11:05 PM
      Hi Rommel. Couldn't have said it better! There are thousands of us complaining about LI lack of 'tools' available to protect ourselves, our information, our connections and the list goes on. Why does all other social platforms take this issue very seriously but Linkedin is so arrogant that they feel they have the right to ignore this critical security feature?

Linkedin is a fantastic concept and I love the idea of it and what it offers, but If they don't start listening to their users which are the ones that is making them successful in the first place, I seriously doubt if I will be making use of their services in the future...

Thanks for you comment on this issue!
      Ken Hatley Feb 09 '13 at 01:20 AM
      Top Response
      So I think the market is wide open and ready for a new site that will promote these features that will allow who sees anything on what we are doing, because many people on here feel they do not like being spied on, I am one who does not. I have one person who follows me, has gotten several very close business relations, and linked to thme, trying to gain their client list by grabbing mine. I have had my relations a long time, and have a major long termn noteirety in the industry I am. I have recieved several calls from people with whom I am linked to, inquiring about this person. This is exactly how I found this section, trying to find a way to block someone from viewing any of my activities and business relations. I do not like it, and this is not even a good business practice to be exposed to just anyone.
        Adel de Meyer Feb 12 '13 at 11:07 PM
        Hi Ken. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I must say the business world out there is a hard and sometimes nasty one. I hope Linkedin will be able to provide you with better tools to protect your clients and activities soon, it is not nice to lose business due to others ignorance..

Thanks for sharing your experience on this issue!
        Kim Thompson Feb 12 '13 at 02:17 PM
        Top Response
        As a recruiter, I am in a very "emotional" business. Recently, I have received horrible emails from one LinkedIn member that could hurt my professional reputation. She has resorted to sending emails to members that are associated with my business. What can I do to stop her?
          Adel de Meyer Feb 12 '13 at 10:58 PM
          Good question Kim. Sorry to hear about your horrible experience, hope this can get sorted out soon for you!
          Jenae Kaska Moderator Feb 12 '13 at 11:03 PM
          Hi Kim. Please contact us directly with this information. http://help.linkedin.com/app/ask (I'd also suggest adjusting your Contacts list so it can only be visible to you if you haven't already.)
          Dinesh RAMKRISHNA Feb 01 '13 at 04:40 PM
          Top Response
          Greetings Adel:

LinkedIn as platform was/is meant for professionalism, and we see that at LinkedIn compare to other so called professional sites.But as I do agree their are features which gives people opportunity to be anonymous and stalk.. which is not in our control.. what we have is limit information to the outside network from profile settings which even include your photo.. so your profile information is open for your direct connection ( provided you connect only to people you know or interacted before at LI at groups, help forum ) with this your profile will be safe..

Regards,
          -Dinesh
            Giordan Pogioli Feb 06 '13 at 06:29 PM
            Dinesh,

Unfortunately I don't see anywhere that LI allows us to limit access to our profile info for people who search for us by name within the platform. Making our public profile totally private only deals with outside searches like Google, but what if we want our profile to not be accessible to people outside our network who happen to search for us by name?? It seems obvious that LI should have some setting to block profile viewing access for those who may know of us by name but are intentionally not within our network of connections... When will this be handled?
            Dinesh RAMKRISHNA Feb 07 '13 at 05:13 AM
            Greetings Giordan:

Once we join LI - we are part of the community and must be found if search because you cant hide selectively.. is it good idea if some one your old friend searches you at LI and are not found even if you are part of Linkedin.

Regards,
            -Dinesh
            Adel de Meyer Feb 09 '13 at 04:32 AM
            Greetings Dinesh,

First of all, since when does anybody that is classed as a 'professional' make them less likely to be a sexual predator, stalker, murderer, rapist or just plain weird?? Did you know that some of our world's well know criminals were ALL so called 'professionals'. I am sick of hearing Linkedin's excuse off: "We run a 'professional' platform... You are running a social media site, and yes it is your responsibility to give us (your users) the right tools to protect ourselves!! Linkedin needs to stop making excuses and start taking other's lives more seriously.

Here is just some statistics for you to ponder on a bit: (figures in the US alone and back in 2009, the figure is growing every year, so you can just imagine what it is at the moment) -
            More than one million women and 370,000 men are stalked annually in the United States. An astonishing one in twelve women and one in forty-five men will be stalked in their lifetimes. The average duration of stalking is nearly two years and even longer if the stalking involves intimate partners.

I say again like I said before, I will not make my profile private because then I might as well not have it on here, I am here to network, job hunt and find connections from my past that I worked with, If I hide my profile and remove my picture like you are suggesting, how am I suppose to use the features of Linkedin and be able to network and find connections?

Clearly there are a lot of your users unhappy with the fact that their linkedin profiles show up in Google search and the fact that they can't block unwanted contacts - what are you going to do about this Linkedin, or will you start acting only when it is too late again, when a precious life has been lost maybe?
            Ben Dolph Feb 12 '13 at 12:01 PM
            Hi Dinesh, how do you set your profile information to be only available to direct connections?
            Bernard Gore Feb 07 '13 at 09:56 PM
            Top Response
            LinkedIn does not include functionality to block individuals, because all they can really do is see you "public profile", no different to googling you.

If they are sending messages inappropriately then report this to cs@linkedin.com.

This question is closed