11 responses

Lucy Roberts Jun 12 '13 at 09:28 AM
Top Response
Hi, I am in a similar situation and have a stalker that intentionally views my profile just to make his presence known as he is blocked from every other social media site and has been officially warned by the police not to contact me.
He has been viewing my profile incessantly since the police visit in May and now I have had enough, so I contacted the police and they have said this is not appropriate and will be taking it further.
Its about how you feel and if they are making you feel anxious then it is a form of harassment.
Everyone will have their view on this but I believe you stand up to bullies and if you don't want them to do it....we find a way to make them stop.
Linked in should definitely have a blocked button!
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Chris Glynn Jun 12 '13 at 01:37 PM
    Thank you, Lucy. I empathize and your answer was helpful.
    Christa May Aug 14 '13 at 07:30 PM
    I am experiencing the EXACT same thing. Please, please, please add a block function.
    Sam Bailey Jan 28 at 04:50 PM
    It's time for us to do something. Posting our complaints here in this sterile LinkedIn "containment area" has not even yielded a serious response from LI, let alone a solution.

If you have not already done so, please click on the links below and join us to lend the power of your voice and the weight of your argument to a very dynamic, purposeful campaign group on the main LI site. Join us if you want to meaningfully discuss and explore issues around the implementation of more control over how people can view your profile, in a more public place where what we say and do can make a difference.

Campaign Against Anonymous Browsing and an Opt Out or Blocking Function in LinkedIn:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=6577480

Online Petition For a Blocking Feature on LinkedIn (9100+ signatures):

https://www.change.org/petitions/linkedin-protect-your-users-from-stalkers-and-help-keep-victims-safe

Group Summary:

The CAAB is also a useful Information Resource Center on Anonymous Browsing with lots of data, information, clarifications, facts, figures and statistics to enable anyone interested to understand all aspects of the issue, the real cause behind it, why it happens, when it happens, who does it, why they do it and what we're doing to try and put a stop to it.

LinkedIn currently allows Anonymous Browsing. Members of the CAAB Group advocate for a ban on anonymous views or the ability to block or opt out of the attentions of Anonymous Browsers. We deserve the ability to prevent Anonymous Browsers from viewing our Profiles - unless they are willing to identify themselves.

Please click on the link and pay us a visit if you want to explore effective ways to achieve the implementation of more control over how people can view your profile.

Group Motto: "If you do nothing - nothing will change."

© Andy F (CAAB Founder Member)

Campaign Motto: "You see me, I see you. Simple."

© Kevin S (CAAB Member)
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Leslie Burleson Jul 18 '13 at 09:27 PM
    Top Response
    I have a LinkedIn stalker too... over a year now.
    I was the notifier
    of this individual's termination due to poor performance. Not a whole lot that can be done...wish Linkedin had
    the ability to block such as Facebook. It's a bit spooky.
      It's time for us to do something. Posting our complaints here in this sterile LinkedIn "containment area" has not even yielded a serious response from LI, let alone a solution.

If you have not already done so, please click on the links below and join us to lend the power of your voice and the weight of your argument to a very dynamic, purposeful campaign group on the main LI site. Join us if you want to meaningfully discuss and explore issues around the implementation of more control over how people can view your profile, in a more public place where what we say and do can make a difference.

Campaign Against Anonymous Browsing and an Opt Out or Blocking Function in LinkedIn:

https://www.change.org/petitions/linkedin-protect-your-users-from-stalkers-and-help-keep-victims-safe

Group Summary:

The CAAB is also a useful Information Resource Center on Anonymous Browsing with lots of data, information, clarifications, facts, figures and statistics to enable anyone interested to understand all aspects of the issue, the real cause behind it, why it happens, when it happens, who does it, why they do it and what we're doing to try and put a stop to it.

LinkedIn currently allows Anonymous Browsing. Members of the CAAB Group advocate for a ban on anonymous views or the ability to block or opt out of the attentions of Anonymous Browsers. We deserve the ability to prevent Anonymous Browsers from viewing our Profiles - unless they are willing to identify themselves.

Please click on the link and pay us a visit if you want to explore effective ways to achieve the implementation of more control over how people can view your profile.

© Kevin S (CAAB Member)
      Elisa Green Sep 17 '13 at 09:15 PM
      Top Response
      @chris - I don't recommend contacting the stalker/harasser. I think pressuring Linkedin to do something about this is better.

I am currently being stalked by an ex-coworker who I reported to HR several times for inappropriate behavior. I no longer even live in the same city - but he goes through cycles of obsessively checking my profile. I know its him because his full headline is visible. He's in my network, so there's no way to hide my profile and when I'm job hunting or networking that would actually be negative for me professionally. I dread opening Linkedin and seeing this "thinking about you" message in who's viewed my profile.

I appreciate the "who's viewed your profile" feature and its been very useful when job hunting. What I would appreciate even more is a block feature for members in my network who might be misusing this feature.

If Linkedin took this type of use case into consideration when building a new feature it would be helpful to me - and to many, many other Linkedin users. All the commenters on this feed included.

Unfortunately, Linkedin's response to these issues has been pretty tone deaf and dismissive. They don't seem to understand that "Disconnecting" is just not a viable option for many people. The unfortunate position of the stalked users is that base level professionalism these days includes a Linkedin profile. We are essentially victims of Linkedin's success as well.

Group Summary:

© Kevin S (CAAB Member)
        Charles Caro Jun 03 '13 at 07:38 PM
        Top Response
        Viewing a LinkedIn profile even on a persistent basis can hardly be viewed as "stalking". After all, LinkedIn is an open and public social networking website for 225+ million professionals located literally around the globe.

Viewing a profile is no different than keying in a name for a Google search.

If someone sends you a message through the LinkedIn "Inbox" messaging system and you see such message(s) in your LinkedIn "Inbox", you can click the "Report Spam" to stop the messages.
          Chris Glynn Jun 03 '13 at 08:32 PM
          A response spelling out why you disagree with my use of the word “stalking,” isn’t really an answer to my question, Charles.
          Elisa Green Sep 17 '13 at 09:06 PM
          Well Charles, if its not stalking then its certainly harassment. The detail you seem to be missing is that this in an intentional act where the person doing it understands that the victim can see that they are doing it. In the workplace its called 'creating a hostile environment'.
          Charles Caro Sep 18 '13 at 07:25 PM
          @Elisa - Viewing a profile whether as "Anonymous" or not can *never* be viewed as "harassment". It is the Internet!

And, just exactly how can anybody determined the "exact" identity of someone viewing a profile as "Anonymous".

If it bothers you so much, you should not be using the Internet because anybody can use Google to do a search for anybody.
          Elisa Green Sep 18 '13 at 07:51 PM
          We're not talking about anonymous views here, Charles. Stop trolling and try reading for meaning.
          Thomas Price Nov 11 '13 at 06:35 PM
          Hey Charles, You should shut your mouth.
          Julie O. Griffith, MBA Jul 13 '13 at 09:47 PM
          Top Response
          I am currently being harrased and stalked in a group discussion by a profiler called Jerry Nelson. He is using the forum to direct personal attacks against me as well as to threaten to post defamatory emails about my company from a former, disgruntled client. How can I make a formal complaint to LinkedIn about this person and report the harrassment????? Please advise ASAP, his profile name is Jerry Nelson. THANK YOU!!!
            Debra Franke Nov 12 '13 at 01:08 AM
            You should send a message to the group Owner and/or group Managers. They can delete the person from the group.

Group Summary:

© Kevin S (CAAB Member)
            Dawn Wojick Dec 04 '13 at 10:50 PM
            Top Response
            Personally... I am going to the media about this. I have a legitimate stalker and restraining order. LinkedIn refuses to tell me how many times HE has viewed MY profile...You see I am not asking for information about HIS account, I am asking for a pattern of viewing MY account and they will not help me because LINKEDIN needs to protect MY STALKER! Help me understand this! Kind of a backward way of doing things...wouldn't you say? I am glad that it isn't them, their daughter..their Mother...their best friend...their wife...but then...if it was...this would not be an issue for them to provide the information... it would be DONE!
              Sam Bailey Jan 28 at 04:51 PM

Group Summary:

© Kevin S (CAAB Member)
              Hillary Frisbie Dec 26 '13 at 08:06 PM
              Top Response
              I have to agree with Charles. BUT!! I also see where others are coming from with the harassment issue because it makes you feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. I agree with Charles because it is no different than having someone google you everyday. You can ax the person from your professional network and set your privacy settings to only people in your connections or network can view your information. If you're job hunting, this means you have to take the initiative to search out jobs instead of being passive. This isn't about protecting your stalker, its about freedom of information, what you post on the internet is fair game.When you agree to the user policy, you agree to have your information free and open to the public, you put yourself at risk by doing so. I agree that LinkedIn, like facebook and even twitter should have a block function of sorts. If you want to see how often a person has viewed your profile, then upgrade as that gives you tons of statistics on your profile, and most likely in that case you can use that 'evidence' to go to the proper authorities about the stalking. If it's taken to the restraining order level, it's dealing with the authorities on the matter, not linkedin - they simply provide a digital service / platform for good old fashioned networking. - Imagine if you would have met your "stalker" in person and gave them a business card what would you do? LinkedIn is that same concept.
                Sam Bailey Mar 07 at 06:16 AM
                @Hillary,

If an unknown person Googled you a trillion times, you would never know about a single one of those trillion searches, unless it resulted in contact.

Now, if an unknown person visited your LI profile every day for a year, you would be aware of every one of those 365 visits, due to LI's Anonymous Views alert which, unlike every other type of LI alert, is useless. What can one do with the information that there has been an anonymous visitor? What, exactly, is the use of a useless alert?

So, even though you can't help being aware of the visits, what you would never come to know (no matter what you do) are:

the visitor's identity;
                the visitor's location;
                the visor's background;
                the purpose of the visits;
                the motivation behind the visits;
                the intentions of the visitor;
                the attitude of the visitor;
                the personality of the visitor;
                the morality of the visitor;
                the repercussions of the visits;
                what the final outcome will be;
                and when the visits will end.

Now, imagine this anonymous visitor visited your home, peeped through all your drapes and left a message saying:

"I was here today. I peeped through every set of drapes into every window of your home. I refuse to identify myself. I refuse to state the reason for my visit. I refuse to state my intentions towards you. You will never know who I am. You will never know why I visited. You do not know what the outcome of my visits will be. I can visit you whenever I please. There is absolutely nothing you can do about my visits. Whenever I visit I will leave a note just like this one. The only purpose of this note is that I want you to dwell on the following facts:

I was here;
                I do not need to identify myself;
                I do not need to explain myself;
                I do not need your permission;
                I can return at a time of my choosing;
                I can return as often as I like;
                There is nothing whatsoever you can do to change any of this."

Do you see the difference between Google searches and Anonymous LI Profile Views now, Hillary?
                Sam Bailey Jan 10 at 08:12 AM
                Top Response

Group Summary:

© Kevin S (CAAB Member)
                  Rhonda Tintle Jan 15 at 06:34 PM
                  Top Response
                  I have reported a Linked In member -Mordecai Lightman a dentist in San Diego for stalking me on Linked In.
                  This is harassment and it is illegal. I have filed complaints about this in the past with the Police, Hall of Justice and the Clearing House on Cyber-stalking.
                  I have blocked him on all other sites.

Please add a block feature to Linked-In.

Rhonda Tintle Mar 06 at 09:29 PM
                    I rec'd an answer from Linked In . They say that they are planning a block feature in the future. In the meantime I sent them two years worth of police complaints about the stalker.

"Thanks for your comments about a blocking option and I'm so sorry that you are facing this situation. We understand the importance of this feature too, and I want to let you know that it's on our product roadmap."

I did change my name on my profile for a while as they suggested although this seems unfair to me. Also this stalker is a known Linked In User and a person known to me as well.

I sent Linked In the police reports and screen shots as they requested. I told them that he is ruining my use and enjoyment of the site.

Original Contact:
                    01/15/2014 12:42
                    I have reported a Linked In member -Mordecai Lightman a dentist in San Diego for stalking me on Linked In.
                    This is harassment and it is illegal. I have filed complaints about this in the past with the Police, Hall of Justice and the Clearing House on Cyber-stalking.
                    I have blocked him on all other sites.
                    Hillary Frisbie Mar 07 at 03:25 PM
                    Top Response
                    I think that we can agree to disagree on a WHOLE bunch of points here (see below).

Again, to reiterate... I AM NOT PROMOTING STALKING. I DO THINK THAT LINKEDIN NEEDS TO IMPROVE THEIR PRIVACY MEASURES. THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY AS TO WHAT INFORMATION YOU MAKE PUBLIC. IT IS A RISK YOU ACTIVELY CHOOSE TO TAKE BY USING THESE SITES.

I take it that you've never applied to an anonymous job. I have, it turned out to be the Department of Defense at Lockheed Martin, more than likely they were anonymously looking at my profile [I ended up working for them on contract.]

"If Anonymous Viewing had been taking place on LinkedIn but there were no Anonymous Views alerts, there would not have been even a single complaint about them in these forums, because we would have all been completely oblivious to them (just as with Google searches).
                    ~~~What is the difference between knowing you have a stalker and not knowing?

"In diametric contrast, it is impossible for active users to remain unaware of anonymous LI profile views."
                    ~~~ How is it worse that you have a known stalker? I would rather it be known to me that someone is stalking me to mitigate my risks. Are you also telling me that you're pro-private stalking? That's a whole new level of creepy and invasive.

As someone who professionally studies social media / social networking / professional networking, I am well aware of the differences may they be legally, professionally, educationally, or socially.

"Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Match, WhatsApp, Flickr, Tumblr, Ask, Reddit are all Social Media sites, the overwhelming majority of whose users use them for flirting, amusement, entertainment, dating, informal socializing, organizing parties, gaming etc. Social media profiles require no professionalism, seriousness of intent or accuracy of posted content. In fact most of them do not even require the users' real names or images, with avatars and made up usernames being wholly acceptable."
                    ~~~Are you aware that the top five sites used in disaster situations are Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, and Google? [NOT LINKEDIN] These sites are also listed as main contact points in many business continuity and disaster response plans. So I disagree that these are solely existent for the use of social networking, when the reality is that the majority of those sites were used by professional organizations to conduct professional activities (ya know, like saving lives). I also disagree that LinkedIn is solely for the purpose of professional networking; what is to say that someone isn't using a fake name, a fake picture, or other fake information? There's no formal verification of anything besides your email (which oddly enough LinkedIn had a button at the top of the screen of which it asked to automatically tie into your email address book and the language was a bit confusing on it.)

"It is impossible (within the known laws of any hard science) for the subject to become aware of a Google search by an unknown individual, unless the search results in some form of subsequent contact."
                    ~~~no its not; google analytics [and most all internet sites] tracks anonymous traffic - only associates a click with an IP address; IP addresses are pretty traceable.

Again, to reiterate... I AM NOT PROMOTING STALKING. I DO THINK THAT LINKEDIN NEEDS TO IMPROVE THEIR PRIVACY MEASURES. BUT THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY AS TO WHAT INFORMATION YOU MAKE PUBLIC. IT IS A RISK YOU ACTIVELY CHOOSE TO TAKE.

By the way, I know someone that almost failed a graduate media studies class because they refused to sign up for LinkedIn as it was a class requirement. They refused because the country that they're from is known for using LinkedIn as a method to track people down and murder them [I guess you can consider that professional networking?]. I also know someone that was fired from their job because of the way they described their job duties [When you describe your duties as "my supervisor's bitch", that's not professional networking]... It is also a common place that jobs and colleges now review all these profiles (linkedin, facebook, instagram, google+, etc etc etc) as a means of determining an applicant's suitability. In these instances it comes down to initial ACCOUNTABILITY.)

Sam Bailey Mar 09 at 03:35 AM
                      Block capitals notwithstanding, there is no mention in any of my posts about anybody promoting stalking.

My comments only refer to assertions that were indeed undeniably endorsed, promoted and defended in this thread.

So, here we go again:

Google Searches are not directly equivalent to Anonymous LI Views.

Social Networking and Professional Networking are not direct equivalents.

The fact that businesses and serious organizations have a marketing presence on Social Media does not transform Social Networking sites into Professional Networking sites, just as the inclusion of corporate advertising in amongst the sensationalist stories in tabloids does not transform those tabloids into business publications.

LI is to Facebook or Twitter as Bloomberg Businessweek is to the National Enquirer or Hello Magazine.

LI is a Professional Networking site. Anything posted on it is fully intended for sharing and networking with fellow professionals. Since stalkers and Anonymous Viewers share absolutely nothing, it is therefore impossible to network with them.

The complaints on the pages of this thread and the multiple pages of the several hundred other threads on the same or similar topics are not about privacy or accessibility of posted content. The problem with Stalking and Anonymous Viewing is not the access to the content, it is the absence of morality, professional ethics and transparency which generated the large volume of complaints.

Despite the notion often aired by some here that it would never happen, successful campaigning on the issue of stalking pressured LI into introducing a Named Blocking Feature on Feb 20th. This enabled victims of stalking on LI (including those who posted here) to block their tormentors without having to sacrifice their professional networking, job or promotion eligibility, or job search opportunities, delete anything from their LI profiles or, as victims, assume any "accountability" for the despicable actions of their tormentors.
                      10|0 characters needed