105 responses

Kevin C. Brown Sep 05 '13 at 07:59 PM
Top Response
Charles Caro,
Unfortunately you are under the belief that your explanation is the only way this can happen.

It isn't.

Two other ways are being observed and both can be reproduced and/or confirmed.

1.) Even if you never share your GMail address book with LinkedIn, LI looks into your address book if you are logged into GMail AND LI at the same time. Google has been made aware of this.

2.) Spammers have found a way around LI's connection process. Many people are confirming (and I did so with my Father as he was hit by several of these Spammers on LI) that they have zero visibility to any of those profiles' emails or contact information.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Charles Caro Feb 21 '13 at 10:19 PM
    Top Response
    At some point in the recent past you opened your email address book to LinkedIn for the purpose of sending out invitations and you clicked to proceed with the operation before you fully read and understood what was about to happen.

In opening your email address book to LinkedIn without fully reading the instructions you explicitly allowed LinkedIn to send an invitation to *every* email address stored in your email address book.

LinkedIn not only sent an invitation to each of the email addresses in your email address book but also LinkedIn will send out two (2) invitation reminders to each email address in your email address book.

The *only* way you can stop the invitation reminders from going out is by going to your LinkedIn "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder where you must open each pending invitation and click on the "Withdraw" option. This must be done for each pending invitation on a one-by-one basis.

There two (2) very important reasons why you should start the process now as follows:

1. LinkedIn affords each LinkedIn member with only 3,000 invitations, which are supposed to last the member a lifetime. The "Withdraw" process will stop the automatic reminders from going out to recipients, which should relieve some of the embarrassment associated with sending out the invitations.

2. The recipients of those errant invitations have the opportunity to click on either the "I Don't Know" or spam option when the invitation lands in their inbox. Getting just five (5) "I Don't Know" or spam responses will put your account on restriction, which means you will not be able to send out any invitation without entering the email address of the recipient. You can, of course, appeal to have the restriction lifted by sending a sincere message to LinkedIn Customer Service explaining that you did not know what you were doing and that you will *never* again send out an invitation to someone you don't know.
      Chris Lester May 30 '13 at 09:47 AM
      Hey, thanks for the info, Charles. I've gone through and done what you've suggested, but I was wondering if you happen to know of a way to prevent this from happening again? I mean do you know if I get new email addresses if they will automatically get invites from me? Thanks!
      Lynda Williams Jun 10 '13 at 09:04 PM
      I vote for LinkedIn making its invitations more friendly. I don't have time to spend hours correcting an "oops" -- has the community raised this "ahhhhh! don't do it" issue with LinkedIn?
      Paul Garaffo Jun 13 '13 at 02:36 AM
      This isn't what is happening to people. People (including me) are having random invitations sent out to people that are nowhere in their address book. The amount of disinformation you have managed to put on the threads on this issue is quite literally shocking.
      Joel Chudleigh Aug 31 '13 at 04:11 AM
      Yeah - this is not correct. I have had invitations sent to friends of friends that are not in my inbox at all - I would say that it is not random on Linkedin's behalf but that they have a strategy of only doing this for 2nd degree contacts so that the connections look plausible. It is embarrasing and also just against the whole point of a social network where you build the connections that you want to build.
      Audrey Jacoby Jul 08 at 03:32 AM
      I just got a message saying I can not send an invite without an email address and I have rarely been on LinkedIn. But through my email directly connects me. How embarrassing
      Ida Kristiansen Kaadt Mar 05 '13 at 05:50 PM
      Top Response
      SO imbarrassing!! People, that I have only have business relations with, have asked me to stop spamming them! I want this in the news papers!
        Jeramy Corso Jan 17 at 05:18 PM
        Yeah I realized this morning that I unintentionally sent out 25 invitations to random people. I'm livid.
        Lawrence Axil Comras May 09 at 03:05 AM
        Yes Ida, I do too! I think it's an option actually.
        Barbara Jones Mar 19 '13 at 02:14 PM
        Top Response
        I agree that automatic invitations sent to people I don't know is not what I expect -- or want -- from LinkedIn. LinkedIn needs to stop this function now; it's not helpful for LinkedIn members and it undermines the purpose of using LinkedIn for professional networking.
          Gary E.D. Alt, AIF®, CFP® Mar 20 '13 at 01:52 PM
          Top Response
          I'm having the same problem. I'm very proficient on LinkedIn so I did not inadvertently provide access to any address books (those people aren't even in my address book), nor did I accidentally invite people from the "People you might know" area.

I've also changed my password to be sure my account wasn't hacked.

LinkedIn hasn't responded to my inquiry on this. I have taken my issue to Twitter and encourage others to do this as well.
            Lawrence Axil Comras May 09 at 03:05 AM
            I find it amazing that they aren't responding.
            Eric Lamp Feb 28 '13 at 10:48 PM
            Top Response
            I agree!! I'm extremely upset about this. I've been a LinkedIn user for over 5 years and this just started to occur recently. Over the last couple weeks, I had about 5 people accept invitations I never sent I DID NOT give LinkedIn access to any other accounts which might explain this. Something smells rotten. I also see that LinkedIn is closing discussion threads on this topic and trying to suggest that it is the user's fault for accidently allowing access to other contact lists. I don't even know the people that accepted my phantom invitations, so how would LinkedIn find their contact info in any of my accounts?
              Lawrence Axil Comras May 09 at 03:06 AM
              I too Eric am incredibly upset about this. Sincerely. I think it's a scandal.
              Trista Roy Mar 20 '13 at 02:33 PM
              Top Response
              I am having the same problem! And that explanation above does not make sense since I know for a fact I didn't do that and I don't have an address book with these people in it. MAKE IT STOP!!
                Lawrence Axil Comras May 09 at 03:06 AM
                Agree! I am shocked. I really can't believe it's happening, and nothing is going on.
                Joanna Piros Mar 20 '13 at 04:55 PM
                Top Response
                agree the invites accepted have come from people not even remotely in my email address book, or their companies! the most telling thing for me is the heavy handed closure of all discussion threads regarding this activity. is this simply a sneaky way to force us to upgrade our accounts?
                  Gary E.D. Alt, AIF®, CFP® Mar 20 '13 at 06:32 PM
                  Upgrade to what? I already have a premium account. I'm going to tweet LinkedIn Support and send out daily tweets until this gets resolved. I'm trying to get maximum visibility on this.
                  Joanna Piros Mar 20 '13 at 06:39 PM
                  just sent you a note via inmail.
                  Lawrence Axil Comras May 09 at 03:07 AM
                  Joanna, What heavy handed closure are you aware of? I would like to know. So far these forums are being left up. What other discussions are being suppressed? Please let me know. I am just furious about this.
                  Penina Mezei Jul 04 at 08:37 AM
                  Top Response
                  Well funny story. Happened to someone close I know, so naturally I tried to do something about that. Well as it turns out this is still happening...
                  Regards from Penina Mezei
                    Kate Malone Mar 05 '13 at 05:23 AM
                    Top Response
                    The same thing happened to me. It has been extremely embarassing.
                      10|0 characters needed