7 responses

Dave Mason Feb 20 '13 at 05:09 PM
Top Response
Go to your Inbox then click the Invitations tab. Below each invite is three boxes, Accept, Ignore, Report Spam. Next to the Accept box you will see a down arrow, click that and then click the Reply (don't accept yet) option that appears. This will allow you to send a message to the person who sent the invite without effecting the status of the invite.

Ask away.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Charles Caro Feb 20 '13 at 06:56 PM
    Top Response
    You can set your "Account & Settings" preferences to require an email address whenever someone sends you an invitation.

Other than that you need to respond to such invitations by clicking the "Ignore" and then the "I Don't Know" link. You could also click the "Report Spam" link.

In either case LinkedIn is notified. Two things happen. First, the individual cannot send you another invitation. Second, once the individual gets to five (5) such reports their account is restricted.
      Karim Trad Mar 01 '13 at 02:44 AM
      Top Response
      Dear Diane,

A couple of weeks ago, I asked the same question under a discussion form entitled "Unwanted Invitations". You cannot believe the number of people who reported the same problem, It was starting to go viral, with folks demanding explanations, threatening to sue and to close their accounts. LinkedIn's only answer: they closed the discussion forum tonight so that no one can add new comments. You can still visit it and you will see for yourself. I predict that the same thing will happen to your post: a feeble attempt to lay the blame on you, the user - and then shutting the forum down when this fails. I suggest you visit my new discussion post: "Does LinkedIn believe in free speech?". This is the United States of America, guys!
        Rob Wood Aug 03 '13 at 12:22 AM
        Top Response
        I'm the administrator for my Rotary Club email distribution list. We have a group here on LinkedIn, with its own dedicated email address, just for LinkedIn communication.

Our club email distribution list is a private list, subscription by invitation, only. Lately, the private list email address has begun to receive invitations and suggestions sent through and by LinkedIn. Each one of these generates a bounce notice that I then have to log in to deal with.

When I try to unsubscribe the list address by clicking on "unsubscribe" in the email that comes from LinkedIn, I get this message:

"There was an error while unsubscribing. Please verify you are the recipient of the email and try again."

But there is no mechanism offered to verify this, so I can't unsubscribe. Can somebody please help me figure this out?

Thanks,

Rob Wood

Veena Holla Feb 04 at 02:15 PM
          Facing same issue for one of our distribution list.

Would appreciate speedy resolution from LinkedIn.
          Diane C Taylor Feb 04 at 04:25 PM
          Top Response
          My questions, too. I'm tired of getting persistent "you haven't responded to an invitation". There's no "I don't know this person" option in the beginning. Why not, LinkedIn????? And asking the person why he/she has invited you doesn't seem to be an option, either. I think sometimes the invitations are not intended, but LinkedIn "accidents".
            Charles Caro Feb 04 at 05:10 PM
            @Diane - The "proper" place to be responding to a LinkedIn invitation is from the LinkedIn "Inbox" where the member does have the option to click "Ignore" and then click the "I Don't Know" option.

LinkedIn doesn't make mistakes when sending out invitations, but members frequently open their email address books to LinkedIn for the purpose of sending out invitations before fully understanding what they are doing.
            Diane C Taylor Feb 04 at 05:13 PM
            Top Response
            Thanks again. The question is: how am I in the e-mail address book of someone I never heard of.
              Charles Caro Feb 04 at 09:52 PM
              @Diane - More likely than not one of your friends sent out a message using "CC:" instead of "BCC:" and your email address wound up in the email address book of somebody you didn't know. Of course, that is the real problem and danger of using "CC:" for any message going out to multiple recipients.
              Diane C Taylor Feb 04 at 10:14 PM
              Top Response
              Ah, so someplace along the line I may know someone in common with the person who's invited me or -- unfortunately -- been invited by me... I've worked hard with my own address book to make sure people are NOT automatically added.
                10|0 characters needed