30 responses

Sean Holden Moderator Feb 21 '13 at 12:23 AM
Top Response
This is great feedback, Rob. I'm unaware of such a feature being in the pipeline but I'll be sure to send your suggestion to our security team for review. In the mean time, follow our blog for the most recent news and updates to the website: http://blog.linkedin.com/

Edited 6/3/2013: I'm happy to report that this feature has been officially rolled out. Please see this blog posting for the original announcement, and instructions on how to change your account to two-step verification: http://blog.linkedin.com/2013/05/31/protecting-your-linkedin-account-with-two-step-verification/
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Ian Davidson May 13 '13 at 01:11 PM
    Sean, any news from the security team on this?
    Ian Davidson May 24 '13 at 01:04 PM
    Sean, do you have response please?
    Ian Davidson Jun 06 '13 at 09:58 PM
    Thank you Sean, this is a step forward from Linkedin. I'd just like to add that Linkedin are not compatible with Google Authenticator (TOTP) protocol. Linkedin insist that I need a mobile to receive SMS authentication codes which is the current way twitter works. Apparently I've read that many Linkedin users are getting SMS spammed after they sign up to 2FA which is pretty poor in my book.

Rob Leary and others would like is Google Authenticator support. Could you comment on plans for this please Sean?
    Sean Holden Moderator Jun 10 '13 at 06:05 PM
    Ian, thanks again for your feedback. There's nothing to announce regarding Google Authenticator support at this time.
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Ian Davidson May 13 '13 at 01:09 PM
    Top Response
    I'd like to use Google Authenticator to protect my Linkedin Account password on public connections. Interested to hear when this feature will be added. Just about all the major online services are adding support.
      Rob Leary Feb 21 '13 at 02:07 AM
      Top Response
      Many thanks, Sean. Facebook and Google both offer two-factor authentication via smartphone apps. For many people, LinkedIn is their primary and/or sole professional social network, and adding security would be extremely helpful.
        Sierra Randolph May 31 '13 at 11:02 PM
        Top Response
        Since two-factor authentication was just added, I'd like to agree with others that want integration with Google Authenticator. It'd make things a lot smoother, especially when text messages don't immediately come through.
          Robert Drymajlo Aug 25 '13 at 04:37 PM
          Top Response
          Google Authenticator Pretty Please
            Anthony Adinolfi Feb 26 at 01:38 AM
            Top Response
            1. I agree completely, we need access to application driven authentication (like the Google Authenticator and Microsoft Authenticator apps).

2. Application passwords are needed as well, enabling two-factor authentication in LinkedIn breaks sharing from my blog, Twitter, etc.

3. BACKUP CODES

4. Sending an SMS message is obnoxious and not in any way secure. The ability to disable the "you've signed in" e-mail alert would be GREATLY appreciated as well. I browse privately in IE and Firefox, not having your cookie on the machine does not mean it is a new machine. So every time I log in, I get an SMS and an E-mail.

5. While I appreciate that rolling out two-factor for LinkedIn is not an easy task, we'd be much happier with a "proper" implementation.

Thanks!!!
              Justin Feeney, M.Sc. Mar 22 at 03:44 AM
              Great list of suggestions, I actually added linked in to my spam protocol to block their log-in notifications. This feature should be limited to UNSUCCESSFUL attempts to log-in, flagging a user that someone is trying to break into their account.

Use of Google Authenticator would also be ideal.
              Morten M. Christensen Jul 05 '13 at 12:56 PM
              Top Response
              I second that Google authenticator would be much better for this.
                Ran Barton Oct 02 '13 at 02:05 PM
                Top Response
                Another vote for Google Authenticator support, please.
                  Edward Ferron May 24 '13 at 12:12 PM
                  Top Response
                  I am looking forward to this coming, I am enabling on all my accounts. LinkedIn seems to be a bit behind here.
                    Ian Davidson May 24 '13 at 01:08 PM
                    Agreed Edward. One would think Linkedin would be more proactive about security after the security password breach they had some time ago.
                    Ted Pavlic May 26 '13 at 11:00 PM
                    Top Response
                    Ping -- Any update? 2FA is now a feature of Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, and many others. When will LinkedIn fall in?
                      10|0 characters needed