35 responses

Charles Caro Feb 18 '13 at 06:19 PM
Top Response
At some point in the recent past you opened your email address book to LinkedIn for the purpose of sending out invitations and you clicked to proceed with the operation before you fully read and understood what was about to happen.

In opening your email address book to LinkedIn without fully reading the instructions you explicitly allowed LinkedIn to send an invitation to *every* email address stored in your email address book.

LinkedIn not only sent an invitation to each of the email addresses in your email address book but also LinkedIn will send out two (2) invitation reminders to each email address in your email address book.

The *only* way you can stop the invitation reminders from going out is by going to your LinkedIn "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder where you must open each pending invitation and click on the "Withdraw" option. This must be done for each pending invitation on a one-by-one basis.

If you have already "deleted" the "pending" invitations, you must first go to your LinkedIn "Inbox/Trash" folder and "undelete" all of the "pending" invitations to put them back into the "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder before you can use the "withdraw" feature.

There two (2) very important reasons why you should start the process now as follows:

1. LinkedIn affords each LinkedIn member with only 3,000 invitations, which are supposed to last the member a lifetime. The "Withdraw" process will stop the automatic reminders from going out to recipients, which should relieve some of the embarrassment associated with sending out the invitations.

2. The recipients of those errant invitations have the opportunity to click on either the "I Don't Know" or spam option when the invitation lands in their inbox. Getting just five (5) "I Don't Know" or spam responses will put your account on restriction, which means you will not be able to send out any invitation without entering the email address of the recipient. You can, of course, appeal to have the restriction lifted by sending a sincere message to LinkedIn Customer Service explaining that you did not know what you were doing and that you will *never* again send out an invitation to someone you don't know.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Debby Rauch Lissaur, CPCC Jun 18 '13 at 04:28 PM
    YOU are a rock star...Thank you. I find LinkedIn's policy to be disgusting and totally antithetical to the spirit of social media.
    Alan Carty Aug 23 '13 at 03:50 PM
    Charles, I have seen this same comment from on on other posts regarding this issue and I can assure you that you are not correct in saying that at some point in the past I opened my address book to Linkedin. I am an informed user who has NEVER opened my address book to Linkedin and today, for the first time ever I am seeing people who are person contacts, including my 74 year old mother, listed in the "People you may know" area. Linkedin has done something they were not authorized to do. If you Google this issue there are many people upset over this.

By the way, I realize that the issue I described is not the same as the "sending invitations issue" but mixing people from my Outlook or Gmail contacts in with the "People you may know" is evidence that they ARE accessing my contacts which I have never authorized.
    Kelly Silbernagel Sep 20 '13 at 04:29 PM
    Where is this "withdraw" feature?? I can't find it and desperately need to use it!!
    John Shaw Sep 21 '13 at 07:34 PM
    @Alan Carty...that is exactly what I have been observing lately...contacts that recognize as coming from my address book appearing in the "People You May Know" list. I haven't come close to allowing Linkedin to access my address book in order to "Quickly grow your professional network".
    Sam Paret Jan 23 at 08:52 AM
    I NEVER authorized LinkedIn to go digging into my email account for a contact list. As to your best advice about doing nothing, it is extremely short sighted and exactly what website want you to think. In this day and age you actually have to actively opt-out of things on the Internet because websites now automatically consider your simple visit as an opt-in.
    See More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Selim Nar May 27 '13 at 10:46 AM
    Top Response
    Mr. Charles, people generally do not know what they are doing. For that very purpose systems such as linked in must provide a notification about an automated invitation and a friendly settings interface to remove this function. So What you are implying does not mean anything...
      Charles Caro Aug 23 '13 at 06:25 PM
      @Selim - On the contrary. When using the Internet the best advice is to do "nothing" whenever you are not sure what is about to happen, and absolutely *never* just click to proceed with something you don't fully understand.
      Jennie Logsdon Martin Jul 01 '13 at 02:39 AM
      Top Response
      This is outrageous and I'm withdrawing my account. As the owner of a very large web site, I will recommend my members do the same.
      This is shameful and desperate spamming.

Jennie
        Charles Caro Aug 23 '13 at 06:23 PM
        @Jennie - The easiest way to close a LinkedIn account is by going to the following:

https://www.linkedin.com/settings

Click the "Account" link on the left column and then click the "Close account" on the right column.

A member must do this themselves.

Otherwise, you need to follow the instructions included with my answer.
        karenza t. wall Apr 15 '13 at 04:49 AM
        Top Response
        charles caro,
        thank you so much for your clear and detailed explanation.
        karenza
          Atish Podder May 08 '13 at 08:46 AM
          Top Response
          My goodness .... it just sends automatically mails to all my contacts ... but to revoke it .... i need to open each one and revoke one by one ...... which takes tremandous amount of time and effort!! that's horrible!! really horrible!!
          Anyway the invitations are itself so much embarrassing that i have to do that .... go one by one .... and withdraw one by one ...
            Nasir Khan May 29 '13 at 07:15 PM
            Top Response
            This is really pathetic. I clearly did not click on anything remotely close to "Send invitation to all my contacts". No one would EVER do that.
            Still I am left with 400 invitations to my contacts, including mailing lists. Really? They can't even filter out mailing lists?

This just sucks big time.
              Miguel Klurfan May 30 '13 at 01:52 PM
              Top Response
              Thanks Charles. I don't find the "withdraw option" where is it?
                Miguel Klurfan May 30 '13 at 02:24 PM
                Thanks Matt. This is terrible! I have to withdraw each invitation one by one. At least Linkedin should include an option to withdraw multiple invitations at once!
                Matt Luotto May 30 '13 at 02:22 PM
                Top Response
                Upper right corner, click on the mail icon.
                Make sure the 'Sent' option is selected (on the left), AND
                the 'Sent Invitations' tab is selected (upper, center)
                Under each person's name there is a link...click on that.
                Then, FINALLY, you will see the 'Withdraw' option at the bottom of that window...click on that button.

Totally inappropriate Linkedin!
                  Susan C Terris Jun 15 '13 at 03:55 AM
                  I agree that this system is totally inappropriate. I had no idea. Linked in should warn people before you give it a try.
                  Arnold Robert Hart IV Jan 02 at 02:02 PM
                  I have no sent invitations in that folder. It still is sending out invites 4 months later to my contacts. We should file a class action lawsuit.
                  George A. Parker May 30 '13 at 05:21 PM
                  Top Response
                  Mr. Caro: This LinkedIn feature seems a bit shortsighted and inflexible. All the feedback you are getting seems to bear this out. It's probably safe to say that most of us would not want invitations sent to every contact in our address book. Also, most of us don't read all the small print (that could wind up being disastrous) from services that we trust. Wouldn't a better assumption be that most want invitations sent to only a portion of their list and should be given flexibility upfront to choose which ones? Sounds like a great opportunity to tweak the feature in the future.
                    Charles Caro Aug 23 '13 at 06:27 PM
                    @George - I don't work for LinkedIn. I merely provide answers for common issues regarding how to use LinkedIn. When using the Internet the best advice is to do "nothing" whenever you are not sure what is about to happen, and absolutely never just click to proceed with something you don't fully understand.

Lian Yang Jun 06 '13 at 07:08 PM
                    Top Response
                    It is terrible, which I am afraid to use it.
                      Kelly Silbernagel Sep 20 '13 at 04:28 PM
                      LinkedIn is EVIL!! Where is this "withdraw" feature in the Sent Invitations folder? I can't find it and I desperately want to use it!!
                      Charles Caro Sep 20 '13 at 06:27 PM
                      @Kelly - Click on the "Inbox" link at the top of your LinkedIn homepage. Then click the "Invitations" tab and finally the "Sent" link appearing to the left side of the screen. You will see a list of all of the invitations sent through your account. If you don't see an "Accepted" associated with the message, it is a "pending" invitation, which you can open and use the "withdraw" feature. You must "open" each invitation on a one-by-one basis and then click the "withdraw" option showing just below the message body.
                      10|0 characters needed