26 responses

Simon Hamer Feb 17 '13 at 12:00 PM
Top Response
Yes, use this method

http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3

Download your connections then email them.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Charles Caro Feb 17 '13 at 10:46 PM
    Top Response
    Regardless of how you send a message to each of your 1st level connections many, if not most, of the recipients will view such a mailing as spam because there is virtually *no* message worth sending to each of your 1st level connections that wouldn't be viewed as spam by many, if not most, of the recipients.

You would run less risk of being reported for spam by using the "Status Update" method of contacting your 1st level connections.

Also, when sending a message to multiple recipients you must always remember to "uncheck" the box labeled "Allow recipients to see each other’s names and email addresses" showing below the message body. Failure to "uncheck" the box means you will be sending the message out to the recipients as if you were using "CC" rather than "BCC". Leaving the box "checked" violates not only the privacy of your 1st level connections but also their trust.
      Joel Willits May 17 '13 at 07:23 PM
      Charles I respectfully disagree with this statement for the following reason. The subjects we are talking about are "Contacst" . To me that tells me that both parties have accepted each others invitation to keep in contact. I personally appreciate my contacts keeping me up to date on what they are doing. In fact that is the only way I know if I want to be involved with what they are doing. Just my opinion. The update status is a great point.
      Charles Caro Aug 13 '13 at 08:58 PM
      @Joel - What you state is simply not correct because the only way what you state would be correct is in the very unusual case where each of a member's 1st level connections had exactly the same 1st level connections. Just because I am connected to someone at the 1st level there is absolutely no reason why I should even remotely "assume" every recipient is connected to every other recipient at the 1st level. Even with a handful of 1st level connections what you describe would become almost a statistical anomaly. With 100, 500, 1000 1st level connections it becomes basically impossible.

Enric G. Torrents Oct 17 '13 at 07:17 AM
      I agree with Joel. It depends on how you use this social network -and who you have accepted as "1st level" connection in the first place-. The statistical anomaly, if any, is to have a "1st level" network of 1000 people, not being contacted by one of them. Something different would be to suggest that Linkedin should allow for some sort of filters to be set, to distinguish between those "1st level" connections you want to get messages from, and those you don't (some sort of "1.5 level"). Maybe better, allow users to set circles of interest as Google+ does, to distinguish which kind of connection is which one, which sort of interest do you share, and which permissions do you grant to them. Then it would be easier to set apart real connections from those who, in the real world, maybe would not even be considered an acquaintance.
      Joe Miller May 12 at 05:07 PM
      Charles
      Where is the "status Update" option. I want to send out a message to all my 1st level connections. Thanks in advance for your help.
      Joe Miller May 22 at 07:46 PM
      Charles
      How do you you use the status update function? I need to send out multiple messages and do not want it to be considered spam.
      Joe
      Raimundo Thomas Oct 19 '13 at 12:49 PM
      Top Response
      Brad you are my kind of guy
        Brad Marsh Oct 19 '13 at 03:39 PM
        Hi Raimundo, I deleted my previous comment because though I think most of It was accurate, I needed to tone it down. I do understand what you are saying. I Joined LinkedIn to connect, and actually communicate with my connections, and that is exactly what I have done, and will continue to do. And guess what? I have not been reported as a spammer or had anyone complain (accept maybe Charles:)). I do personalize my messages to my connections though, which is very time intensive.

Best of luck.
        Edouard (Ed) Landau Feb 17 '13 at 04:03 PM
        Top Response
        Awesome. Thanks a lot !
          Joel Willits Feb 18 '13 at 03:03 PM
          Top Response
          Does anyone have the following problem? When I check the box or boxes beside my contacts names. I then hit send and the contacts fail to show up in recipients spot on the next page. If anyone know's why that is happening I would be greatful.
            Ross Maclaverty FCA MAE Feb 20 '13 at 10:24 AM
            I too have this problem! Is anybody from LI looking into this? The ability to send a message to multiple connections is probably one of the most important features of LI. Without it the whole system is rather like collecting "cigarette cards" (for those who can remember) or car number plates. Your list of connections gets longer but you can do little with it!!!
            Heleniq Argyrou M.A. Feb 19 '13 at 05:17 PM
            Top Response
            thanks for posting - needed that too !
              Joel Willits Feb 20 '13 at 01:36 PM
              Top Response
              I found the solucion for sending to at least 50 contacts at a time. I open contacts and hit the send botton. It then opens to the message. Beside the receivers area is an IN sign. Hit the IN sign and it opens the contacts A through Z now check the boxes you want to send the message too. By the way if the contacts you want to receive the message are in another letter. Hit the letter beside the contacts and all your contacts in that letter will then be displayed.
                Ron Baron Mar 20 '13 at 10:21 PM
                Top Response
                How often can you send out communications to 50 people?
                is there a limit per day, per week, per month?
                  Margaret A Ost Apr 12 '13 at 11:40 PM
                  Doesn't specify timing limit here:

Sending Messages to Connections
                  How do I send a message to my connections?
                  Last Reviewed: 05/16/2011
                  Expand All Collapse All
                  You can send a message to your connections from your Inbox or your My Connections page.
                  To send a message from your inbox:
                  From My Connections:
                  Click Contacts at the top of your home page.
                  Check the box next to the recipient's picture (maximum of 50 connections).
                  John Donovin May 17 '13 at 06:21 PM
                  Top Response
                  Thanks everyone, i have been trying to get this done for a week, esp helpful about "un checking" the box at the bottom so no none see's everybody else!

Thanks again
                    Tim Schoch (shock) May 29 '13 at 04:03 AM
                    Top Response
                    I like the Status Update solution to sending soft message to connections.
                      Brian Luff Jul 22 '13 at 08:46 PM
                      Me too. I think Charles is right to warn about the danger of potentially becoming a spammer.
                      10|0 characters needed