14 responses

Top Response
To me, it has noticibly SLOWED since they went to "one: search Bar. Use to be you had to pick to search People, or Companies, etc. \Been using many years, just started recently. (All my other Browser searches, when typing in the bar, go just fine...)
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Bill Haddock, PE Jun 07 '13 at 07:25 PM
    Top Response
    It looks like they set up a new algorithm which takes every keystroke in an attempt to keep up with what you're typing and have the search completed shortly after you stop typing. The problem is: their search engine is way too slow for this. It is hanging up on every other letter. Give us the option of waiting until we type the full name before you start searching. It will save both LinkedIn and the user a lot of headache.
      wendy bot Nov 20 '13 at 07:37 AM
      i am assuming they are using SQL based database. for this it does not work. they need to switch to a No SQL format
      Chris Fleetwood Jun 29 '13 at 12:02 PM
      Top Response
      Linkedin has become a nightmare to open on any browser. Is it the amount of advertising or the unasked for news stories perhaps? Can't we just have a stripped down version which allows us to open the homepage without constant refreshing before it finally deigns to appear? And no, my internet connection is fine! Never used to be a problem. Too much content??
        Bircan Topkar Sep 03 '13 at 08:16 AM
        Top Response
        Hi,
        I've been having problems of slow down for almost 3-4 months. This is the case with connection from home and work, additionally I have fiber connection at home currently. Also, when I log in, a text page comes in instead of HTML! It doesn't matter if I use Internet Exlporer or Chrome. IE might be old version but Chrome seems to be update. It's getting nearly impossible to connect Linkedin. This is not nice especially while I'm paying extra money for Premium account!
          Christine Hueber Apr 29 '13 at 06:51 PM
          Top Response
          It runs fast for me, John, with Chrome.

How fast is your internet connection?
            Mike Trumbature May 12 '13 at 06:38 PM
            Top Response
            Some browsers, like Firefox have widespread issues with graphics hardware acceleration and certain websties and result in slow typing ect.

This might be due to older browser versions older video drivers or both. I don't have problems with Chrome or Opera with Linkedin but Firefox is slow page loading and even slower typing in some dialog boxes. I have the DISPLAY/HARDWARE ACCELERATION turned OFF and it works great on all websites. There are a lot of people in FF forums with similar video problems since FF12. Need to make sure plugins are up to date also. I don't have any programs that need hardware accelerations on and do fine with Firefox.

I like Chrome the best but it is hard drive thrashing machine, with multiple files for the program itself an individual processes for each additional tab. if your running of of virtual memory (hard drive) instead of RAM, this opening and closing files results in a lot of quick fragmentation and overall performance slowdown.
              Christine Hueber May 14 '13 at 10:12 PM
              That's been my experience too, Mike, and I only use FireFox when accepting invitations here because the formatting is better than Chrome.
              Mike Trumbature May 14 '13 at 10:33 PM
              John never said what browser he was using,

I forgot to mention I had abandoned Internet Destroyer months ago for Firefox because of complete seizures with Yahoo email and incompatibility with some Google websites like YouTube and others. FF 9 was great, 10 a little slower, 11 even slower. I went back to 9 when 12 came out, causing PC hell. I stayed with 9 until 15 cleaned up most of the problems other then the display. I have a separate digital graphics card on an old analog monitor so I would expect some problems with it.

I've got hardware acceleration OFF on mine to run LinkedIn and others with no problems. I can load my LinkedIn profile from scratch in 1.88 seconds, there is a lot of stuff on the page.

Chrome is the fastest of the bunch and I like the TyperTalk speech recognition but it's multiple processes for one tab and extra process for each additional tab is memory hog and opening and closing them fragments the hard drive much quicker. Both have Cache files on a flash drive, much faster and better to clean and defrag than a HD. Chrome's built in PDF printer is second to none.

Since most of my time is basic Internet surfing, Firefox works great without a peep out of he hard drive. If I walk away for any length of time, , I put the computer in STANDBY and pick up where I left off later.
              Christine Hueber May 16 '13 at 12:24 AM
              Thanks for sharing your expertise in so much detail, Mike!
              Mike Trumbature May 16 '13 at 09:54 AM
              Top Response
              Different computers will respond differently to certain websites with different browsers or even the same browser on different machines. I've not had any trouble out of Chrome on any website with standard computer settings set "full throttle." The problem with browsers, webmasters are changing websites faster than the browsers can keep up. Out dated video drivers, FLASH and browser plugins can cause certain pages to respond slowly. If this is an isolated case, it may not be the Internet connection. There are several SPEED TEST sites depending on the provider and even ways to test the CONNECTION and POWER readings on your modem. I have cable trouble occasionally of Comcast and will check all before calling. Isolated computer and/or websites are typically something else

I did a "benchmark" test on Chrome and Firefox. I have an old Dell Pentium 4 dual core processor with 2 gig RAM. Virtual drive is OFF and CACHE files on both browsers set to a flash drive instead of the hard drive - faster and keeps the junk off the HD There are only 34 processes open at the Desktop with TASK MANAGER running and 5 of them are spyware and firewall

Page loading speed - Chrome won "slightly" Firefox has problems with hardware acceleration and my old analog monitor so mine is OFF. Lots of Internet chatter and help forums, not much help. I abandon IE8 for hangups with Yahoo emai slow typing

Memory with one and 8 tabs open - Firefox wins, only one process v Google with 5 or 6 at one tab and more memory and an extra process each new open tab.

Website Friendly - both about the same, Firefox has a download button for YouTube videos, Chrome takes some "tricks" I saved on favorites.

TOOLBARS - about the same

X-NOTIFIER - The multi-email alert - Firefox faster alerts and all accounts across the TOOLBAR

WEBPAGE PDF PRINTER - Chrome's built-in printer is excelled by none.

CACHE FILE LOCATION AND SIZE - Chrome has no utility and requires a special script to be added to the Launch Button, other wise the CACHE files keep growing, until you clean them, opening up HD fragmentation.

Perhaps all of this might give someone a chance to weigh out browsers with various problems like LinkedIn and possibly other sites like Google Maps etc. You can run either browser at any one time.

Mike Trumbature May 16 '13 at 09:58 AM
                PS: I suggest any lengthy post like this above be copied into a Word document before pressing the COMMENT button. If LinkedIn screws up, you still have the original text and can paste it in later when they get their act together. Same for any dialog box with a lot of text. People are reporting problem with loosing post in groups when pressing the SHARE button, the button page script did not completely load.
                Kumar Vedamuthu May 21 '13 at 11:57 PM
                Top Response
                Let us not forget the basics - I have had an analog monitor which caused the CPU to freeze with using certain programs that run on chrome browser and turning off hardware acceleration on the monitor driver fixed the issue! Chrome has a tendency to use generously all of your CPU capacity if you do not control it.
                  Mike Trumbature May 22 '13 at 12:10 AM
                  I have 2 gig of RAM and only 34 processes running at the desktop 4 - 5% CPU with Task Manager, ZoneAlarm firewall and SpyBot in the back ground. Firefox only has one process and a plugin container for the browser. Chrome has 5 process just to launch Google and adds an extra process for each tab, consuming more memory than FF for the same tabs. I never had any memory leaks with either. FF is the only browser that has issues with hardware acceleration, Opera and Chrome don't - at least not for me. I don't even include Internet Explorer in any test to slow loading even Google compared to the others.

I can load my complete LinkedIn profile page from scratch in 1.25 seconds with FF. There is quiet a bit on it
                  Muhammad Zeeshan Aug 27 '13 at 07:27 PM
                  Top Response
                  ok it better.
                    Samuel Satyanathan Aug 29 '13 at 06:07 PM
                    Top Response
                    It's the Ajax search that does a search each time you type in a new letter that makes it so slow. It is really frustrating at times. My solution is to type in what I want to search for (the whole word/s) in some other window/text box etc. and copy and paste that into the LinkedIn search box. Works great!
                      10|0 characters needed