16 responses

Charles Caro Apr 19 '13 at 03:20 PM
Top Response
To "remove" a connection click on the "Connections" link found on the "Contacts" menu item shown at the top of every LinkedIn webpage.

When the "Connections" webpage loads look to the right for a link labeled "Remove Connections".

Click on the "Remove Connections" link and follow the prompts.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Diane Wilson Jul 11 '13 at 02:28 AM
    If Connections will not be notified that they've been removed from your connections list....do they have a way of seeing if they have been removed? What will they get/see if they try to view my profile or connections?
    Clyde Quarrie Jan 26 at 01:37 AM
    This info is out of date or maybe different in UK (no "Connections" or "Contacts" menus directly visible!).. See "Networks" (on yr home page), "Contacts", then after finding the offending contact, click More to Remove.
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Brian Stanley Jun 14 '13 at 04:43 PM
    Top Response
    The person removed is not automatically notified.

Here is the Linkedin description: "Note: These connections will not be notified that they have been removed. They will be added to your list of contacts in case you want to reinvite them later."
      Richard Goldman Jan 29 at 07:09 PM
      Top Response
      Drill down to a Contact's profile. To the right of their photo, there's a blue Send Message button with a dropdown. Click the dropdown -- you should see a 'Remove Connection' option at the bottom of the list.
        Sandra Eadie Jun 21 at 04:49 PM
        This worked, I couldn't make any of the network or other suggestions work. Thank you.
        Kathy Bennett Jul 14 at 03:54 PM
        Same for me - thanks!
        Brenda Zirkle Jun 18 '13 at 05:54 PM
        Top Response
        Thanks everyone! This is great information and has come in handy. Have a great day!
          David Mukai Aug 10 '13 at 04:30 PM
          Thanks, Brenda, for asking a very pertinent question! And thanks to everyone else who replied! One day, my computer and/or LinkedIn sent out invitations without my knowledge or consent to connect en masse to a whole lot of people, some whom I knew, some I had no idea who they were, but many replied back accepting my "invitation" without really knowing me. Except for a problem like yours where you are getting a lot of unwanted endorsements, is there any other reason why it might be best to unlink people you don't really know?
          Richard Pagett Jun 07 '13 at 09:37 AM
          Top Response
          That was useful.
          Is the person being removed automatically advised that they have been removed? Thanks
            Richard Pagett Jun 14 '13 at 05:02 PM
            Top Response
            many thanks, Brian, very helpful
              Mark Gardner Sep 13 '13 at 11:34 PM
              Top Response
              Do the endorsements from someone you have removed remain on your profile? If so, how would one remove them?
                Rob Shapiro Oct 20 '13 at 02:19 PM
                Top Response
                I have recently unlinked about 20 of my connections due to what I think are valid reasons:

1. Personal friends and family belong in Facebook, not LinkedIn. This is just my opinion, but it is what I practice and I let my personal friends and family know. No one has ever had an issue with this position.

2. Sometimes you connect for good reasons only later to discover that it is no longer applicable, no longer appropriate, etc. A good example here is an ex-boss with whom you connected but later on did not get along with and since you no longer work for them you don't see any value.

3. Akin to #2 is that while building your network you linked with everyone and now with a solid network in place you scratch your head and ask the fundamental question: why am I linked to someone who doesn't like me, would never support me, etc?

There are probably other "conscious reasons" for un-linking, but these are mine.
                  Heather Hesketh Nov 06 '13 at 02:28 PM
                  Top Response
                  With the newly redesigned Contacts area, I don't see a way to remove a Connection. Where has this feature been moved to?
                    Charles Caro Nov 06 '13 at 03:54 PM
                    @Heather - As usual, LinkedIn updated a feature without updating the "Help Center" article related to the feature.

From your new "Contacts" webpage look for the "gear" icon appearing to the far right on the "Heading" bar. Click the "gear" icon. On the new webpage look for the "Export LinkedIn Connections" link appearing in the "Advanced Settings" section on the right side of the display.
                    Amit Patel Dec 28 '13 at 01:35 PM
                    You can also now go to the person's profile, click on the dropdown arrow next to Endorse, and select Remove Connection
                    Karen Young Jan 03 at 05:06 PM
                    Top Response
                    There does not seem to be a remove connections option. The down arrow does not have an option remove connection and there is no gear symbol in the top of the page either. Do I need to upgrade or something?
                      Bobbie Everett Jan 18 at 10:11 PM
                      Try this - I just today figured out how to do it:

1. Hover your mouse over the 'Network' selection in the heading bar at the top of the page
                      2. In the drop down that appears, click on 'Contacts'. Your list of connections will appear
                      3. Find the connection you want to get rid of. There is a 'Sort by' button with a few sorting options that might make the job easier.
                      4. Click the box to the left of the contact's picture
                      5. See the 'Tag', 'Message' and 'More' options that pop up? Select the 'More' option.
                      6. Click on the 'Remove Connection' option.

That's it! Easy as pie.
                      10|0 characters needed