13 responses

Charles Caro Apr 16 '13 at 08:45 PM
Top Response
At some point in the recent past you opened your email address book to LinkedIn for the purpose of sending out invitations and you clicked to proceed with the operation before you fully read and understood what was about to happen.

In opening your email address book to LinkedIn without fully reading the instructions you explicitly allowed LinkedIn to send an invitation to *every* email address stored in your email address book.

LinkedIn not only sent an invitation to each of the email addresses in your email address book but also LinkedIn will send out two (2) invitation reminders to each email address in your email address book.

The *only* way you can stop the invitation reminders from going out is by going to your LinkedIn "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder where you must open each pending invitation and click on the "Withdraw" option. This must be done for each pending invitation on a one-by-one basis.

There two (2) very important reasons why you should start the process now as follows:

1. LinkedIn affords each LinkedIn member with only 3,000 invitations, which are supposed to last the member a lifetime. The "Withdraw" process will stop the automatic reminders from going out to recipients, which should relieve some of the embarrassment associated with sending out the invitations, but the "withdraw" feature does not "recover" the invitations for future use. They are gone.

2. The recipients of those errant invitations have the opportunity to click on either the "I Don't Know" or spam option when the invitation lands in their inbox. Getting just five (5) "I Don't Know" or spam responses will put your account on restriction, which means you will not be able to send out any invitation without entering the email address of the recipient. You can, of course, appeal to have the restriction lifted by sending a sincere message to LinkedIn Customer Service explaining that you did not know what you were doing and that you will *never* again send out an invitation to someone you don't know.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Christine Hueber Apr 16 '13 at 06:56 PM
    Top Response
    Click your Inbox icon at the top right of any LinkedIn screen, Sent, Invitations, open and withdraw them individually.

Is there any way I can help you further?

Best,
    Christine Hueber
      Patricia Aviles Apr 19 '13 at 02:11 AM
      I did, I withdrew the invitations already.
      So does this mean that all me contacts received the first invitations?
      Virginia Macy May 09 '13 at 06:35 PM
      How about those of us who have hundreds of contacts? It's insane that we should have to withdraw them one at a time.
      This also doesn't stop the reminder emails from going out.
      Libby Dallis Jun 12 '13 at 10:33 PM
      That actually doesn't work. I did that this afternoon and had 13 new ones again 3 hours laters. Seriously, if this doesn't stop I'm de-activating my account. Ridiculous and a lot of them were people I only sort of knew, so it's really embarrassing.

Charles Caro Jul 27 '13 at 09:44 PM
      @Patricia - Yes, when you clicked to proceed with the procedure LinkedIn sent out the initial invitation. If you see an invitation in your "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder, it is there because an invitation was sent.
      @Virginia - I know of a gentleman that had to "withdraw" 2400 invitations. He said it took him eight (8) hours.
      @Libby - Yes, it does work, but what you were seeing is somebody responding to a reminder invitation. LinkedIn will send out two (2) reminders, which means you really need to complete the "withdraw" process before more reminders go out.
      Sylvia Lyons Apr 17 '13 at 12:16 AM
      Top Response
      What a terrible web site, I never thought it would be so hard to get out of, igot into it by mistake
        Patricia Aviles Apr 17 '13 at 02:28 AM
        I was trying to find contacts from my yahoo contacts but I was going page by page to only select the ones I wanted to invite.
        Somehow it said I sent 143 invitations!! This is terrible!!
        I went into my invitiations sent and clicked on select all and deleted invitations,hopefully this worked.
        Bud Cato Apr 18 '13 at 01:13 PM
        You're right, a friend convinced me to get on and now I regret it. I don't do Facebook and this is why.
        Christine Hueber Apr 18 '13 at 09:15 PM
        Patricia, you need to open and withdraw the invitations to stop reminders being sent.

Otherwise use the blue Contact Us link, above, for customer service.
        Janet Hewitt Apr 22 '13 at 02:06 PM
        Top Response
        I have had the same problem that all the others have had. Invites went out to my entire personal email account. I have deleted those who have not already responded but how am I ensured that this function is not an ongoing one with every new contact to my personal email address?
          Christine Hueber Apr 23 '13 at 04:50 PM
          It's a one-time event when you share your password, Janet.

Is there any way I can help you further?
          Charles Caro Jul 27 '13 at 09:51 PM
          Deleting the invitations absolutely does not stop the process because LinkedIn will automatically send out two (2) reminder invitations, which gives each recipient a total of three (3) chances to click either the "I Don't Know" or "Report Spam" response link.

You must go to your "Inbox/Trash" folder, select all of the invitations, and click to "undelete". The invitations will be moved back to your "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder where you can then proceed with the "withdraw" process. Remember, you must open each invitation on a one-by-one basis to see the "withdraw" option.
          Gautam Gupta Apr 26 '13 at 05:31 AM
          Top Response
          I've had a related but slightly different problem. LinkedIn is lately showing me suggestions to send invitations to contacts from my yahoo address book.
          I have NOT opened the yahoo address book from within LinkedIn, nor given LinkedIn any kind of access to my Yahoo account at any time. Neither have I given explicit permission to Yahoo for allowing LinkedIn access to my data.

Thankfully, LinkedIn has not actually sent invites to these contacts nor does it seem to have abused the info in any way. It has so far been used only to give me suggestions to invite so and so. (Note - many of these contacts are not even LinkedIn members, so this is not the case of an algorithm matching me with potential friends (which is how suggestions usually work).

There was a comment on a Yahoo Answers page that Yahoo treats LinkedIn as an "app" and gives it access to your account - but I have never explicitly installed / allowed linkedin as an "app" on my yahoo account either. I find LinkedIn to be an incredibly useful and valuable platform. However I am a bit disappointed that LinkedIn could gain access to my Yahoo contacts without having my permission.
            Shannon Vander Giessen Jul 23 '13 at 08:09 PM
            Thank you for posting, I have the same problem and have not been able to find any information about others experiencing this issue. I am not a very active user and do not believe it's coincidence that some of the recommended contacts in LinkedIn would just happen to be people that I received Yahoo email from but have nothing to do with my profession or attributes in my profile.

I never opted in to share my Yahoo contacts or allowed LinkedIn as an app with my Yahoo account; the only explicit Yahoo-related activity I am aware of is my primary account I use to log into LinkedIn is a Yahoo email address. I've checked my settings and there is nothing that seems to appear I've opted in. If there was an easy way to delete a profile and start over with contacts intact I would establish a new email account not associated with Yahoo or any other sharing service LinkedIn advertises and try again.
            Lynda Plant-Wells May 09 '13 at 03:45 PM
            Top Response
            It seems that this is a common problem with Linkedin. I did not give permission for invites to be sent to all my contacts - I did not open my Yahoo address book - Linkedin sent me a list of people on Yahoo/Linkedin who could be 'invited' to connect and I had the option to click on the ones I wanted to invite - which I did (there were around 8 people) however, it sent invitations to all the people on the list (whether I had 'checked' the box next to their names or not!) What is the point of being given the option to invite selected people if everyone is going to be contacted by Linkedin. Also (like Bud) - this is one of the reasons I'm not on Facebook. I am beginning to think Linkedin is a similar waste of time and potential breach of privacy. Everything is just too 'automatic'.
              Janet Hewitt May 09 '13 at 07:35 PM
              Top Response
              I am still receiving accepted invites from the original slew of invites sent out a month ago. They were not in my invite list so I couldn't delete them but rather in my contact list in my personal email account. I am seriously considering shutting down my account.
                Anna Maria Equizzi May 14 '13 at 08:36 PM
                Top Response
                This is why I do not wish to go ahead. First I started receiving invitations to join Linkedin from acquaintances, then when upon seeing an old friend I decided to register, Linkedin asked as a condition of joining access to all my Yahoo contacts. I decided not to register as it became obvious it was not my old acquaintances to contact me personally, it was Linkedin sending the invitations! I think this is outrageous and am terribly annoyed at constantly seeing e-mails from Linkedin in my inbox - I shall report as spam.
                  Jeryl Bowers Jun 28 '13 at 06:08 AM
                  Top Response
                  This is the link to stop LinkedIn from sending invites to all of your yahoo contacts. Gmail has a similar link which accomplishes the same goal. See the posts for gmail account.

https://api.login.yahoo.com/WSLogin/V1/unlink?.intl=us&.scrumb=oTa2dZOFlPE,I think this is the link to stop all of the Yahoo invitations. You need to remove LinkedIn as an app that can access your contacts. Gmail has a similar link that does the same thing to stop access to gmail invitations. I also found it on this message board.

https://api.login.yahoo.com/WSLogin/V1/unlink?.intl=us&.scrumb=oTa2dZOFlPE
                    Charles Caro Jul 27 '13 at 09:54 PM
                    Blocking LinkedIn access to Gmail is useless after a member has given LinkedIn access to their email address book because once the initial invitations go out LinkedIn has all the information they need to send out two (2) reminder invitations.

The *only* way you can stop the invitation reminders from going out is by going to your LinkedIn "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder where you must open each pending invitation and click on the "Withdraw" option. This must be done for each pending invitation on a one-by-one basis.

While it is true LinkedIn Customer Service can do the "withdraw" procedure with fewer keystrokes than a member it is important to remember it now takes LinkedIn Customer Service staffers at least 7-10 days to get to and process any service ticket, and all service tickets are handled on a strict FIFO basis regardless of where the service ticket originates. In the meantime LinkedIn will continue to send out the reminder invitations, and the recipients will have additional opportunity to respond to the invitation(s) by clicking on the "Report Spam" or "I Don't Know" options, which will ultimately lead to your account being restricted.
                    Cristina Palomec Jul 01 '13 at 12:58 PM
                    Top Response
                    Well, this was interesting. I have 7 businesses and was going to join LinkedIn but after reading before actually joining, I can honestly say I have NO desire to join AND I do intend to educate others through EVERY means legal and possible. You are right, it is an infringement, HOWEVER, please take time to read before you sign, even if it takes a few days. Believe me, there are a lot of things you will NOT decide to sign up for because they are betting you will not read first. This is one of the ways we get viruses on our communication devices.
                      10|0 characters needed