58 responses

Newest
John Henry Feb 06 at 11:21 AM
Top Response
I'm so fed up with 'endorsements'. They're a complete waste of time and huge distraction. Absolutely ZERO value.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Elliot Mitchell Jul 30 '13 at 10:57 PM
    Top Response
    There isn’t a way to remove the Endorsements feature from your profile at this time. However, you can choose to hide all of your endorsements by default. This will keep all existing and new endorsements from ever displaying on your profile.

If you don't want a specific person to endorse you, you can remove the connection between the two of you. They will not be notified if you break the connection.
      Stephanie Shindler, CMT Jul 31 '13 at 04:07 AM
      Hi Elliot. That's the response that tends to come from customer service -- how to hide endorsements. However, you'll notice the title of this issue is about stopping LinkedIn from spamming our contacts with *requests* for endorsements. It's not about whether they appear on our profile, since that is controllable. What I object to is that it appears unprofessional for my contacts to get emails asking that they endorse me. Many users aren't aware that those emails come from LinkedIn and instead think that the requests are coming directly from their contact.
      Mario L. Castellanos Jul 22 '13 at 10:42 AM
      Top Response
      NOTE TO ALL: Don’t confuse the ability to remove endorsements FROM YOUR PROFILE with the ability to stop endorsements. According to LI, there is no way to stop unsolicited endorsements (unless I assume you remove all your skills.)

See this the last segment of a recent exchange between me and a very friendly and polite rep in Customer Service:

LI C/S: “As for endorsements, please know that if a connection visits your profile, they will see a list of skills in the blue box they can endorse with one click and a prompt if they want to endorse you… . Unfortunately, for now there’s no functionality to stop connections from endorsing you or to opt-out from the endorsement feature.”

Me: “Thank you very much for your response. As you noted from the “tone” of my first two emails and the string of conversation in the link I provided in the “Help Forum”, forcibly making your users accept this policy does nothing more than create animosity. We all know those job seekers who state they will cease using LinkedIn because of this policy, only voice empty threats. But as an individual user, I personally am willing to put up with it because I do derive several great benefits from your site – and it’s all for “free”! But I’m also an employer. And as an employer and individual who as stated, does see some value, I will not buy anything from a service provider that attempts to force me to accept something I don’t want. Why should I? I suspect other potential customers of yours feel the same way.

So as I see it, unless this policy is some sort of concealed revenue producing business model (as opposed to ego booster for the one who produced it), in the short-run, this “feature” is creating a motive not to buy your services. Thus in the long-run, it will be added to a long list of other features your company imposes that slowly but surely, will be another reason we all will seek other similar sites - but just more “user friendly”.”

L/I CS: “I completely understand and that's why I have forwarded your concerns to our Product Team. Hopefully, we can provide a better solution in the future.”

The bottom line: Live with it or leave.

Stephanie Shindler, CMT Jul 22 '13 at 07:25 PM
        Thanks Mario.
        I had a similar back and forth with customer service. But, as further clarification, I think it's important that we make sure they understand that it's not the display or suppression of endorsements that's the issue but rather the fact that LI is sending *UNSOLICITED EMAIL REQUESTS* to our contacts that make it appear we are asking to be endorsed. If someone wants to endorse me, fine. It's the fact that LI pesters my contacts without my permission that I object to.
        Hopefully, though since a number of us have gotten a response from customer service saying that they'll pass these complaints on to the development team, they'll follow through and change it.
        Mario L. Castellanos Jul 22 '13 at 08:17 PM
        Good point Stephanie,

It is the UNSOLICITED EMAIL REQUESTS that we are complaining about. And in one of MY back and forth's, I too used the word "pester". Hopefully, they are paying attention.
        Brandon Jenkins Jul 30 '13 at 09:20 AM
        Try http://Xing.com. A true social site for professionals.
        Majid Raissi-Dehkordi Jul 21 '13 at 04:01 AM
        Top Response
        Lindstedt,
        Do you mean something finally worked for you to stop the endorsements? What was it?

Janet White Jul 13 '13 at 10:51 PM
          Top Response
          I agree, this embarrassing to any professional, and intolerable. I will cancel my service if there isn't a way for me to opt out of soliciation without my consent. The worst offense of all was that when I recently endorsed three friends (supposedly on their request), linkedin proceeded to send requests for endorsement to all my connections.
            Richard Murrell Jul 10 '13 at 07:59 PM
            Top Response
            I'm a new member but I'm disgusted that my e-mail contacts are being pestered. Please stop this NOW.
              Get out while you can, try http://Xing.com. A true social site for professionals.
              Jeff London Jul 09 '13 at 04:34 PM
              Top Response
              Linked in must love the traffic generated by people forced to deny baseless endorsements. I suspect that there is no motivation for LinkedIn to end this annoying feature that accuses customers of skills that we need to deny.
                Brandon Jenkins Jul 30 '13 at 09:19 AM
                Faraz Memon Jul 07 '13 at 09:17 PM
                Top Response
                Thank you for the instructions on how to stop "can you endorse me?" emails. I was able to disable that option in my LI basic account. This feature is totally un-necessary and ridiculous. I don't know how many of my contacts were sent this email from LinkedIn and they must all be thinking that I was personally requesting them to "endorse me".
                  Brandon Jenkins Jul 30 '13 at 09:19 AM
                  Mario L. Castellanos Jul 03 '13 at 01:43 PM
                  Top Response
                  Well let's see if this will get their attention. I am an employer. I will continue to use LinkedIn to post "want ads" in Groups because it's free. But I will NEVER, EVER post any through the paid service until this stops. I find this practice of forcibly requiring LI members to accept this intrusion as counter-productive with no good business case behind it, leading only to resentment like mine.

Are you watching this thread Mr. Weiner?
                    Brandon Jenkins Jul 30 '13 at 09:22 AM
                    Bruce Ellacott Jul 01 '13 at 11:24 PM
                    Top Response
                    LinkedIn thinks they have no real competitor so they don't need to listen to us.

Maybe we should start a class action suit against them. After all they are giving away confidential information. How do they know that that contact should know that I have that type of skill set? Or have we given away that confidentially right in the online agreement?
                      Brandon Jenkins Jul 30 '13 at 09:22 AM
                      10|0 characters needed