59 responses

Paul Rockwell Feb 20 at 10:04 PM
Top Response
Hi, I want to thank everyone for your feedback on this important issue. I’m pleased to announce a block feature is now in place, and would encourage you to see this forum post for more details:
http://community.linkedin.com/questions/156990/linkedin-announces-member-blocking.html
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Paul Rockwell Aug 20 '13 at 04:19 PM
    Top Response
    Hi everyone, my name is Paul Rockwell, and I head up Trust & Safety here at LinkedIn.

I'd like to start by acknowledging the ongoing demand for a block feature, and I can confirm that we’re in the process of building one. We've heard you, and we both recognize and appreciate the need for privacy controls in this digital age, which is why we remain committed to placing the controls in your hands.

While we are working on a block feature, it seemed prudent to share the existing privacy options on the site today provide you with control over various aspects of your LinkedIn experience:
    • Disconnecting - this provides you with the ability to remove any existing connection to another member in your network
    • Customize Your Public Profile - this provides you with control over the profile content that's discoverable by search engines
    • Activity Broadcasts - this provides you with control whether others can see updates to your profile, recommendations made, and companies followed
    • Photo Visibility - this provides you with control over who can see your profile photo
    • Profile View - this limits what others see when you view their profile

We're very happy that the vast majority of LinkedIn members adhere to our User Agreement, Community Guidelines, and Privacy Policy, but should you encounter inappropriate behavior that needs our attention, I would ask that you flag/report it.

Last, but certainly not least, I would also encourage you to check out our newly redesigned Safety Center which has a wealth of information and tools that will help you remain secure online. I've included a link to that as well as other helpful reference material below.

Thanks,
    Paul

References:
    Safety Center - http://help.linkedin.com/app/safety/home

Community Guidelines - http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34593/kw/community

Disconnecting - http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49/kw/disconnecting

Customizing Your Public Profile - http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/83/kw/customize%20public%20profile

Activity Broadcasts - http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/78/kw/activity%20broadcast

Photo Visibility - http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31/kw/photo%20visibility

Profile View - http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42/kw/profile%20view/related/1

User Agreement - http://www.linkedin.com/legal/user-agreement

Privacy Policy - http://www.linkedin.com/legal/privacy-policy
      Meg McDonald Aug 26 '13 at 11:42 PM
      What is disappointing is that there is no PRIVACY on this site. I do not want my "resume" to be viewable by everyone who has an account on LinkedIn. We used to have the option of only letting known connections (that we accepted) see our information. That needs to be reinstated.
      Fabiola J Harford Aug 26 '13 at 11:52 PM
      Just submitted a ticket about that, my public profile should not be visible, however I noticed that the section "Who's viewed your profile" is showing views from people that are not part of my contacts. I want to know How that happens??
      Fabiola J Harford Aug 27 '13 at 03:38 PM
      ****Update**** I just found that LinkedIn does allow people that is not in your contacts to see your profile information, it seems like the company markets the information and profits out it, stripping the user out of any controls over their career information and making you a target for anything including stalking, the answer I got was any member can see others members information. So my strategy is to remove all the information that can generate this people a profit until controls are set that give us the power to look up for our safety and privacy. I have records of someone using an account just to access my information after reported to support they removed the account but did not offer any help to take the corresponding actions with law enforcement or reported the situation themselves. As of today I do not know who was the cyber stalker behind that account. I believe this is not going to be taken seriously, until someone finds a gap that brings a huge class action law suit.
      Elisa Green Sep 17 '13 at 08:52 PM
      Hi Paul.
      I appreciate that Linkedin is planning to do something about this problem - but you must take into account that "Disconnecting" is just not a viable option for many people. The unfortunate position your stalked users are in is that base level professionalism these days includes a Linkedin profile. We are essentially victims of your success as well.

I appreciate the "who's viewed your profile" feature and its been very useful when job hunting. What I would appreciate even more is a block feature for members in my network who might be misusing this feature.

I am currently being stalked by an ex-coworker who I reported to HR several times for inappropriate behavior. I no longer even live in the same city - but he goes through cycles of obsessively checking my profile. I know its him because his full headline is visible. He's in my network, so there's no way to hide my profile and when I'm job hunting or networking that would actually be negative for me professionally. I dread opening Linkedin and seeing this "thinking about you" message in who's viewed my profile.

Taking this type of use case into consideration when building your new feature would be helpful to me - and to many, many other Linkedin users.
      Christine Wilinsky Sep 20 '13 at 09:59 PM
      Disconnecting a contact is pretty futile as they can still view your profile and continue to contact you. And unless death threats are made neither LI or law enforcemnt pays very much attn, and, even then, you are still a sitting duck for a determined stalker. Thus is unacceptable and I certainly hope the alleged blocking feature in the works is not some mickey mouse thing that is worthless.
      See More
      Ashish Kaul May 26 '13 at 06:58 PM
      Top Response
      If a person intentionally views your profile with a view to 'stalk' you, then it certainly is stalking. There simply needs to be a button that allows us to 'block' the person. Why should that be so difficult. The point is that the person knows that his repeated viewing of a profile is noticed and still continues to peep. It is appalling behaviour and I too am shocked that LinkedIn cannot seem to do anything about it.
        Joyce Boll Jun 07 '13 at 02:46 AM
        As I wrote above:

N.J.S.A.2C:12-10 provides that a person is guilty of the crime of stalking if he "purposefully or knowingly engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific personthat would cause a reasonable person to fear for his safety or the safety of a third person or suffer other emotional distress".
        The statute provides the following definitions: (1) "Course of Conduct" means repeatedly maintaining a visual or physical proximity to a person; directly, indirectly, or through third parties, by any action, method, device or means, following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating to or about, a person, or interfering with a person's property;.....

and there is more, but, to be clear, viewing someone's profile is an explicit offense of stalking according to the laws of the States of California, New York and as listed above, in New Jersey.

Offenders can be charged with Stalking, which is a crime of the 4th degree - punishable by up to 18 months in jail and/or a $10,000 fine. It can be upgraded to a 3rd degree crime with jail sentence of 3-5 yrs and/or a fine of $15,000 if the stalker is in violation of an existing court order.

Now, do you think this is something LinkedIn needs to take seriously?

I can tell you that I will use screen grabs for my case to send a person to jail for breaking the court order I have against him. I'll bet victims can call charges against LinkedIn for ignoring their pleas to create safeguarding measures.
        Amanda Ohira Jul 03 '13 at 03:22 PM
        Yes, we can and sue if any injury sustains from that lack of protection. Easy enough to prove in my case.
        Bonny Folkestad Aug 09 '13 at 09:46 PM
        So easy to say we can sue and bring about charges, hard to convict in this area.
        Sam Bailey Jan 15 at 11:28 PM
        It's time for us to do something. Posting our complaints here in this sterile LinkedIn "containment area" has not even yielded a serious response from LI, let alone a solution.

If you have not already done so, please click on the links below and join us to lend the power of your voice and the weight of your argument to a very dynamic, purposeful campaign group on the main LI site. Join us if you want to meaningfully discuss and explore issues around the implementation of more control over how people can view your profile, in a more public place where what we say and do can make a difference.

Campaign Against Anonymous Browsing and an Opt Out or Blocking Function in LinkedIn:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=6577480

Online Petition For a Blocking Feature on LinkedIn (9100+ signatures):

https://www.change.org/petitions/linkedin-protect-your-users-from-stalkers-and-help-keep-victims-safe

Group Summary:

The CAAB is also a useful Information Resource Center on Anonymous Browsing with lots of data, information, clarifications, facts, figures and statistics to enable anyone interested to understand all aspects of the issue, the real cause behind it, why it happens, when it happens, who does it, why they do it and what we're doing to try and put a stop to it.

LinkedIn currently allows Anonymous Browsing. Members of the CAAB Group advocate for a ban on anonymous views or the ability to block or opt out of the attentions of Anonymous Browsers. We deserve the ability to prevent Anonymous Browsers from viewing our Profiles - unless they are willing to identify themselves.

Please click on the link and pay us a visit if you want to explore effective ways to achieve the implementation of more control over how people can view your profile.

Group Motto: "If you do nothing - nothing will change."

© Andy F (CAAB Founder Member)

Campaign Motto: "You see me, I see you. Simple."

© Kevin S (CAAB Member)
        Lisa Edgett May 28 '13 at 03:16 PM
        Top Response
        I have a personal contact that I've never worked with coming to linkedin to check out my information because they've been blocked from everywhere else. This person showed up at my last place of employment and it was a horrible night. I've had to stop posting current employment so this doesn't happen again and I shouldn't have to do that. I'm in the service industry..when I finish cleaning the bar and start walking to my car at 1 am I shouldn't be looking over my shoulder.. linkedin is useless to me if i cant put my professional developments to ensure my safety. Block button please!
          Patti Ferguson Jun 06 '13 at 04:00 PM
          I agree Lisa.
          Lisa Edgett Jun 06 '13 at 04:54 PM
          Linkedin says they are investigating and have sent it to their trust and safety dept....I haven't heard back yet..
          Joyce Boll Jun 07 '13 at 02:48 AM
          N.J.S.A.2C:12-10 provides that a person is guilty of the crime of stalking if he "purposefully or knowingly engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific personthat would cause a reasonable person to fear for his safety or the safety of a third person or suffer other emotional distress".
          The statute provides the following definitions: (1) "Course of Conduct" means repeatedly maintaining a visual or physical proximity to a person; directly, indirectly, or through third parties, by any action, method, device or means, following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating to or about, a person, or interfering with a person's property;.....

and there is more, but, to be clear, viewing someone's profile is an explicit offense of stalking according to the laws of the States of California, New York and as listed above, in New Jersey.

Offenders can be charged with stalking, which is a crime of the 4th degree - punishable by up to 18 months in jail and/or a $10,000 fine. It can be upgraded to a 3rd degree crime with jail sentence of 3-5 yrs and/or a fine of $15,000 if the stalker is in violation of an existing court order.

LinkedIn needs to immediately create safeguarding measures.
          Sam Bailey Jan 28 at 04:54 PM
          It's time for us to do something. Posting our complaints here in this sterile LinkedIn "containment area" has not even yielded a serious response from LI, let alone a solution.

If you have not already done so, please click on the links below and join us to lend the power of your voice and the weight of your argument to a very dynamic, purposeful campaign group on the main LI site. Join us if you want to meaningfully discuss and explore issues around the implementation of more control over how people can view your profile, in a more public place where what we say and do can make a difference.

Campaign Against Anonymous Browsing and an Opt Out or Blocking Function in LinkedIn:

https://www.change.org/petitions/linkedin-protect-your-users-from-stalkers-and-help-keep-victims-safe

Group Summary:

The CAAB is also a useful Information Resource Center on Anonymous Browsing with lots of data, information, clarifications, facts, figures and statistics to enable anyone interested to understand all aspects of the issue, the real cause behind it, why it happens, when it happens, who does it, why they do it and what we're doing to try and put a stop to it.

LinkedIn currently allows Anonymous Browsing. Members of the CAAB Group advocate for a ban on anonymous views or the ability to block or opt out of the attentions of Anonymous Browsers. We deserve the ability to prevent Anonymous Browsers from viewing our Profiles - unless they are willing to identify themselves.

Please click on the link and pay us a visit if you want to explore effective ways to achieve the implementation of more control over how people can view your profile.

© Kevin S (CAAB Member)
          Stephanie Wood May 20 '13 at 08:01 PM
          Top Response
          I have recently had someone start this through linked in and then got a hold of my personal email and have been contacted me through that, offering $500 for inappropriate things. I don't feel safe.
            Sam Bailey Jan 28 at 04:54 PM

Group Summary:

© Kevin S (CAAB Member)
            Charles Caro Apr 11 '13 at 02:15 AM
            Top Response
            So, are you saying the mere act of viewing a LinkedIn member's profile constitutes "stalking"? There is no place on the Internet where the mere act of viewing a webpage can be considered "stalking".

If someone were sending you messages either through LinkedIn or regular email and refused to stop, you might have a case for calling such conduct "stalking". If someone sends you a message through LinkedIn and you don't want to have any further contact with the person, simply click on the "Report Spam" link appearing above the message. LinkedIn filters will ensure you never receive another message from the individual.

I guess we should be asking whether or not you would get upset in the event you someone was "Googling" your name repeatedly. I guess that is also "stalking" in your mind.
              Scott Gates Apr 11 '13 at 10:52 AM
              You have a point, but, "google" doesn't send you a "thinking of you" message every time someone looks you up, either.

Yes, the information is available if someone were to pay a PI service for it, but, LinkedIn is giving it away and THEN telling you about it.

SO, LinkedIn is essentially allowing a "stalking by proxy" and then advertising it. My reaction would be to get angry. Some ladies' react by wanting to quit their job and move to a new coast. And, of course, LEAVE LINKEDIN--and all the benefits of having a professional network.

I suppose it's hard for someone who hasn't been subjected to it to understand what a bad case of stalking does to your psyche. It's akin to PTSD.
              Lisa Edgett May 28 '13 at 02:49 PM
              It is stalking if they're viewing your information to show up where you work and they've showed up at previous employment locations through finding out where you are on linkedin. It's dangerous that they don't have this option...if I've blocked this person everywhere else, including my phone, am considering a restraining order then it's linkedin's obligation to honor my opinion. This is the only place they can still get my information and i cant update my work history because of that. What's the point of even being here if i have to hide from one personal contact? Someone I've never even worked with??
              Patti Ferguson Jun 06 '13 at 03:58 PM
              If someone is consistently looking me up on LinkedIn and dependent upon their behavior IRL - yes it's stalking. No emails just consistent notifications that they are looking at your profile. I understand Emails - but am feeling more and more uncomfortable with this area of social/business networking if there is not the ability to block someone.
              Joyce Boll Jun 07 '13 at 02:39 AM
              Actually, Charles Caro, N.J.S.A.2C:12-10 provides that a person is guilty of the crime of stalking if he "purposefully or knowingly engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific personthat would cause a reasonable person to fear for his safety or the safety of a third person or suffer other emotional distress".

The statute provides the following definitions:
              (1) "Course of Conduct" means repeatedly maintaining a visual or physical proximity to a person; directly, indirectly, or through third parties, by any action, method, device or means, following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating to or about, a person, or interfering with a person's property;.....
              and there is more, but, to be clear, Charles, viewing someone's profile is an explicit offense of stalking according to the laws of the States of California, New York and as listed above, in New Jersey.

This is nothing to scoff at or to dismiss lightly.

Offenders can be charged with Stalking, which is a crime of the 4th degree - punishable by up to 18 months in jail and/or a $10,000 fine. It can be upgraded to a 3rd degree crime with jail sentence of 3-5 yrs and/or a fine of $15,000 if the stalker is in violation of an existing court order.

I can tell you that I will use screen grabs for my case to send a person to jail for breaking the court order I have against him. I'll bet victims can call charges against LinkedIn for ignoring their pleas to create safeguarding measures.
              Charles Caro Aug 09 '13 at 06:03 PM
              @Joyce - I totally fail to see how viewing a profile by someone opting to be "Anonymous" could even remotely be considered as stalking. Hundreds of millions of people do searches every day and do so without revealing their identity both on LinkedIn and with any other search engine. If it bothers you that much you should totally get off the Internet and the grid, especially in the 21st century.
              See More
              Peter Wood Jun 07 '13 at 02:43 PM
              Top Response
              I am being followed by an ex-girlfriend, which wouldnt be an issue in itself, except her husband also seems to know she is following me and thinks something is going on. Neither know where I am but last time I updated a company and address I got cards from her and checkups from him. I need to stop this or I cant update my new position.
              How can I stop them getting automatic follow updates?
                Sam Bailey Jan 15 at 11:29 PM
                If you haven't already joined us, it's time for some action.

Please click on the link below and join the LinkedIn Campaign Group against Anonymous Views.

Group Motto: "If you see me, then I see you. Period"

Cheryl S. (LI Campaign Against Anonymous Browsing Group Member)

16 hours ago

"Just cancelled my premium membership."

Rick H (LI Campaign Against Anonymous Browsing Group Member)

2 days ago

"I cancelled mine as well. I upgraded because I thought I would see the anonymous viewers and was shocked to find out that was not the case. Sorry LI, no more money from me until you change this.

Angie C. (LI Campaign Against Anonymous Browsing Group Member)

1 hour ago

"Well, I'm going to give it a week to see if they sort this out, and then I'm leaving. I don't mind who's looking at my profile as long as I can check them out too if I so desire. But anonymous...That's just too spooky for me..."

Campaign Against Anonymous Browsing and for an Opt Out or Blocking Tool on LI (LinkedIn Discussion & Campaign Group):

Group Summary:

This Campaign Group is also an Information Resource Center on Anonymous Browsing with lots of facts, figures and statistics to enable anyone to understand all aspects of the issue, the real cause behind it, why it happens, when it happens, who does it and why they do it.

LinkedIn currently allows Anonymous Browsing. Members of this Group advocate for a ban on anonymous views or the ability to block or opt out of the attentions of Anonymous Browsers. We deserve the ability to prevent Anonymous browsers from viewing our Profiles.

Please click on the link to the group, join us and lend the power of your voice and the weight of your argument to this group if you want to exercise more control over how people can view your profile. Please also remember to spread the word.

If you do nothing - nothing will change.
                Christine Hueber Apr 11 '13 at 02:02 AM
                Top Response
                Don't connect with them and disable mutual group messaging.
                  Scott Gates Apr 11 '13 at 10:29 AM
                  That's not the issue really. The person isn't messaging directly--but LinkedIn is messaging FOR them.
                  Christine Hueber Apr 15 '13 at 09:25 PM
                  Use the blue Contact Us link, above, to contact customer service then.
                  Catherine Fritz Oct 25 '13 at 06:33 AM
                  I don't think you're understanding. When people you do not connect with or receive messages still can see where you work, then use that info to show up at your work or send things to your work, your suggestion doesn't fix that at all.
                  Mike Richardson May 02 '13 at 03:58 PM
                  Top Response
                  I am being cyberstalked like Scott and need help.
                    Sam Bailey Jan 28 at 04:55 PM

Group Summary:

© Kevin S (CAAB Member)
                    Mike Richardson May 02 '13 at 03:59 PM
                    Top Response
                    I am being cyberstalked like Scott and need help.
                      Christine Hueber May 03 '13 at 08:15 PM
                      Customer service monitors this forum and will respond.
                      Sam Bailey Jan 28 at 04:55 PM

Group Summary:

© Kevin S (CAAB Member)
                      10|0 characters needed