21 responses

Bruce Mackenzie Apr 10 '13 at 11:43 PM
Top Response
How can I turn off this obtrusive prompt every time I log in to LinkedIn ? I have declined it every time, why won't it stop asking ?
It's just good UI design to accept a 'No' and offer me an option to not ask again. Most modern software does that. It's called 'opt out'.

http://community.linkedin.com/questions/10232/why-am-i-being-asked-for-my-private-email-password.html
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Christine Hueber Apr 11 '13 at 11:13 PM
    Suggest ignoring it until it disappears, Bruce.
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Chris Kautz May 15 '13 at 11:32 AM
    Top Response
    Yeah this is weird and there is almost no info on the page itself as to what this is for. I have no idea what is meant by email password. If you mean server inlog you must be nuts for asking. I mean really nuts.
      Christine Hueber May 16 '13 at 08:36 PM
      It's to upload your email contacts and send them invites, Chris.

Is there any way I can help you further?
      David Francis May 16 '13 at 10:40 AM
      Top Response
      I agree with all who object to LinkedIn's requests to provide my email address AND my passwords to my email. I have sent several messages to Linked In advising that anyone asking for passwords should be forever blocked, as this is so much a dangerous deal. I suggest all of you who are asked by Linked In to advise Linked In to stop asking this. In this aspect Linked In is far worse than Facebook. Linked In should NEVER ask anyone for their email address nor password, and anyone who gets a request from Linked In to provide a password should ALWAYS reject it.
        Michael Franklin Jul 18 '13 at 03:02 PM
        Top Response
        Dear Linked in? You must be off your rocker if you think I'm going to provide the password to my e-mail account which my bank uses to send me financial information. I'm just curious why I have some friends who haven't had this request made on their linked-in profile. If you don't address this and fast, there will be no point in my keeping a linked-in account. This cannot have been a successful campaign by linked-in. Only a fool would do such a thing. Maybe there are some trusting fools out there. To me this constitutes the decline of linked-in!
          Lynn Foley Hale May 06 '13 at 04:11 PM
          Top Response
          All I want to do is invite one person once in awhile. I don't want to import my whole address book, so how can I bypass the email password prompt? It's annoying.
            Christine Hueber May 07 '13 at 08:15 PM
            X out of it or ignore it, Lynn.
            David Francis May 16 '13 at 11:49 AM
            Top Response
            Thanks Chris K and others. Below is the response I got from LinkedIn when I queried them why they repeatedly asked me for my password:

QUOTE ...
            Hi David,
            I can realize how frustrating it would be.
            We will never store your password or email anyone without your permission. This information is only used to import contacts from your address book to help you build your contacts. But I will definitely forward your feedback to our research and development team for future considerations.

David, I definitely understand your concern in regards to email password.

Regards,
            Anil
            Customer Experience Advocate
            UNQUOTE

The point is surely that Anil, the Linked In "customer experience advocate" has absolutely no sense of the danger in providing one's password to anyone, let alone Linkedin, who has lost data to the Russians or anyone else. Ask anyone who is only half computer savvy, and they will always tell you NEVER to give your password to anyone.. Why does LinkedIn continue with their unsafe requests? Are they trying to get passwords out of the less computer-savvy? OK you and I and the people who are on these threads know the risks, but what about those who blindingly give out their passwords while believing Linked In has never lost any personal data? We should all combine to try and prevent Linked In sending these messages out to their new sign-ups.
              David Francis May 16 '13 at 10:47 AM
              Top Response
              I can advise Christine Huber that I get a request to provide my email address and password every time I log in to Linked In, and although I have sent many requests to Linked In to stop asking me to obey their very dangerous request, they keep asking me nevertheless. I have not fund any way to opt out of these persistent, unwanted, and basically dangerous requests from Linked In, which I receive annoyingly and repeatedly every time I log into Linked In. OK Christine can you advise me better?
                Val Kpvdfisher May 22 '13 at 05:46 PM
                Top Response
                Obviously Linkedin can gain much more that "email contacts" by having one's personal email password. They can not only read any and all of the emails that one sends from that email address, but they can also actually "send" messages from your email address, to any address within your personal email (or to ANY other email address they want, without your permission, or your approving of any message they might send. Do you really want someone you don't even know sending messages from your personal email account to whomever? After a person gives Linkedin full access to your personal email, what if they are "hacked"? If it can happen to the Pentagon, it can happen to Linkedin....
                  Rudy Schwartz Jun 15 '13 at 04:33 AM
                  Top Response
                  If I ignore the email password crap, it will eventually stop? Why is it requested & why repeatedly the need to include email address & then be reassured of privacy? My email address should be for me to decide who I want to share it.
                    Alexey Monastyrenko Jul 12 '13 at 04:52 PM
                    Top Response
                    Why can't you make option "NEVER ASK MY E-MAIL PASSWORD"?
                    I bored to see this stupid question (of course I never give LinkedIn my e-mail password) again and again.
                      10|0 characters needed