70 responses

Steve Haidar - PMP Apr 30 '13 at 02:23 PM
Top Response
For the geniuses at Linked-In behind the implementation of the unsolicited and auto-generated skill endorsements, as a manager who regularly interviews candidates and reviews their Linked-In profile, skill endorsements now have absolutely NO value in my evaluation. I've been endorsed by well-meaning people whom I have never worked with and have no idea what I do. Linked-In has taken a potentially powerful evaluation tool and turned into spam...nice work
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Teddy Otero Jul 12 '13 at 05:40 PM
    Great point. I love having high skill counts, but what is the point when I know that 75%+ are endorsements from people who I KNOW have no idea what my proficiency level is at the skill for which they endorsed me? I don't blame you, Steve!

I say relaunch the feature altogether, fix the duplicate skills issue, and limit future endorsements to people confirmed as coworkers, clients, or supervisors, past and present. (Here is the duplicate skills issue I mentioned that is preventing many of us from deleting these "spam" skills: http://community.linkedin.com/questions/18990/merging-duplicate-skills.htm)
    Steven Shmerler Aug 26 '13 at 03:38 PM
    There are many important well-stated concerns and complaints about LI's Skills & Practices Policy in this thread, which include both LI and members being able to amend OUR profile by being able to create Skills (often totally inaccurate) without our consent.

Further, LI then emails our PIVATE contact list, which is 3rd party entities to LI, which LI addresses in their Privacy Policy page:

http://www.linkedin.com/legal/privacy-policy

While many here have requested LI to read this Thread and other Threads in this Forum also on Skills concerns... months are ticking by with no official response or fix by LI.

If you haven't yet, may I suggest you email your concerns & complaints to LI to refrain from these practices and also to stop allowing anyone other than ourselves to make changes of any kind to our profile and Skills.

And if LI wants to email our contact list about endorsements it can only be after we amend or add to our Skills for endorsement list.

I'm starting to consider the idea of a Cease & Desist Order to LI regarding these issues, but suggest you consult an attorney first, since I'm not a lawyer and can't give legal advice and am not implied or otherwise.

The LI email page is not easy to find. So here's the link. But first login and then use this email to LI Support link:

http://help.linkedin.com/app/ask

You might also be interested in the number of legal and ethics articles posted online about all this. I'm dumb founded why an organization built on networking which requires accuracy, and professionalism would dare to even dream up such a flawed Skills policy.

It is a Lose/Lose proposition other than LI benefiting from the traffic to their site adter emailing our contact lists and then having their pages changing often when our contacts endorse us for a LI inacurrate skill.

In case you don't know, site traffic and page updates look good to the search engines for their ranking LI.

10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Julie Wild Apr 09 '13 at 07:28 PM
    Top Response
    Valerie... I am in total agreement. This is SO FRUSTRATING. And I know these people have good intentions when they wish to endorse me. And I was wondering why skills were showing up for people that had nothing to do with their skillset. I figured LinkedIn was doing this. This was a very poor decision on behalf of LI to set it up this way. And worse yet, for those persons who are not bothering to edit their skills, there is now a TON of information out there that is incorrect. I cannot trust anything I read on people's pages now that I know the skills are probably wrong.
      @ David F. Buckland Jul 31 '13 at 07:21 PM
      Right - so much for carefully selecting my skills and requesting endorsements from knowledgeable contacts.

It would appear LinkedIn staff don't actually use the service themselves.
      Anne Hallam Apr 28 '13 at 11:29 PM
      Top Response
      This has started happening on my profile and I agree with Valerie. What's the point? And, who gains from the misinformation? C'mon LI, keep the integrity of your service and let us all be confident that the profiles we read have actually been created by the owner of the profile.
        Front Range Exteriors Inc Apr 09 '13 at 10:20 PM
        Top Response
        Having a similar problem. Maybe you know how to fix this, Sean. I know when someone clicks 'endorse', LinkedIn automatically offers 5 particular skills from the list, but I can't seem to choose these defaults skills. We have a gazillion endorsements for 'decks', which we do, but is not a specialty, where I'd rather have 'painting' show up on that list. I've tried 'managing endorsements' and making the unwanted endorsements 'invisible' by unchecking everyone, but I'm still getting endorsements for decks, even though that skill is farther down the list now. So clearly LinkedIn is still offering the same 5 skills as suggestions to people, even though I've neutralized them in favor of others.
          Paula Stenberg May 29 '13 at 10:25 PM
          Same problem the very core skills I want to be endorsed aren't. It's as if they have been blocked from the rest of the minor skills.
          David Jacobs Apr 18 '13 at 12:26 AM
          Top Response
          Sean,

Valerie is right. Apparently, LinkedIn has developed a function that reads the profile and finds "skills". Today, for example, I have the option of selecting "Factory", "Process Scheduler", and "Software Documentation" as "skills". I can't find "Factory" in my profile. The others seem to be combinations of words that don't appear together. The process of skill endorsement also may not be understood. I get messages about these endorsements where people who know me have endorsed my skill in something that they should know is a mystery. This process needs to change.
            Kevin Lane Apr 13 '13 at 01:18 PM
            Top Response
            Sean, I'm with Valerie. As a retired member, I don't want endorsements and I don't want my former colleagues bothered with endorsement requests on my behalf. Will you consider a retired members profile as a future option please along with the ability to opt out for active members?
              Alison Siewert Aug 03 '13 at 02:34 PM
              Top Response
              Dear LinkedIn,
              I searched for an answer to my question, How do I get LinkedIn to stop asking people to endorse me for skills I didn't (and don't want to) list? I'm frustrated that friends and colleagues are being asked (and nearly always agreeing) to say "Yes, Alison knows about..." -- to skills I don't want featured and aren't useful and often aren't even true. That's WHY I DIDN"T LIST THEM.

When I went to your "help" area, the only answer to my question was that loads and loads of other people are similarly frustrated, but you seem not to have responded. Because we're all...still frustrated. As one man pointed out, your inaction on this makes the skills endorsement utterly useless and completely -- wait for it -- frustrating to use.

It's not a matter of skipping or hiding endorsements -- and these are the only "answers" included in your help center. No, it's about the fact that even after I have instructed the site to 'skip' endorsements it continues to ask for the SAME endorsements over and over and over and over and over so that I keep having to skip them. Meanwhile, there are several listed skills that you apparently consider unwelcome, for those are sitting fallow at the bottom of my page, unendorsed, inaccessible, unseen...It's a shame to waste the space on things I actually CAN do when you're out soliciting endorsements for irrelevance.

Where do you even GET these categories? If there is a whole list of skills you're not asking about, why are you generating other things to solicit? Are you using our profiles as fodder to experiment with algorithms? You have to admit it's pretty strange. I'm a performing arts director and people keep endorsing me for Stewardship. I have two endorsements for "Bible study", which I listed, and 3 endorsements for "Biblical studies", which you solicited. What?

The first couple of times I kept the new categories, naively thinking my friends were writing them in (ha!). Now I have a super messy endorsement section that makes me look like I'm all over the map. Because you made me look that way. Stop it. Please.

Please get your people working on this problem. Intuitive, programmed sites are only useful if they're accurate. What's happening here is damaging not only the usefulness of the site but also your reputation as a place to find skilled professionals.

Did I mention Frustrated,
              Alison SIewert
                Traci Jackson May 07 '13 at 01:28 PM
                Top Response
                I agree. I've been doing Real Estate almost exclusively since 2007, yet most of my endorsements show up in Corporate work, which I have done in the past, but don't do that much of. I would rather be endorsed in Real Estate since that is what I'm doing now, but overwhelmingly, my endorsements are in Corporate and Legal Research and Writing. Why can't you have a default endorsement or remove others?
                  Sean Holden Moderator Apr 09 '13 at 12:10 AM
                  Top Response
                  Hi Valerie, thanks for visiting the forums! I'm sorry for your poor experience with skill endorsements. While you can't opt-out of the feature entirely, you can absolutely remove any unwanted skills or skill endorsements so they don't appear on your profile. Here's how: http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33198 Thanks for your great feedback!
                    Valerie Alexander Apr 09 '13 at 06:30 PM
                    Sean, this answer is very unsatisfying. It does not address any of the problems LinkedIn is creating for its members by randomly suggesting skills not listed in our profiles to our connections. This is a very easy algorithm to fix. Do not ask for endorsements for any skill that I have not already listed on my profile myself. Only ask for endorsements for skills that I have chosen to include. I don't want to opt out of the endorsement feature. I like the endorsement feature. I simply want the endorsement feature to work in a way that makes the most sense for professionals -- let us showcase the skills we want to showcase and ask our connections to endorse us for those skills only. All else is noise. Why is this a problem you aren't willing to fix?
                    Valerie Alexander Apr 09 '13 at 06:38 PM
                    Just to clarify -- I already knwo how to remove unwanted skills and skill endorsements from my profile. I should not have to do that, and worse than the time spent undoing something that should not be there in the first place, it costs me endorsements on skills that I have chosen to showcase. Whoever is making the decision to randomly create skills and add them to profiles in an online network of professionals clearly has no understanding of how carefully people must present themselves in the context of a career/networking environment. As I said above -- don't be helpful, be harmless.
                    Sean Holden Moderator Apr 09 '13 at 07:10 PM
                    Thanks again for the excellent feedback, Valerie. I've passed your comments along to the folks in charge of the skill endorsements feature.
                    Tad Marko May 08 '13 at 03:58 PM
                    The endorsements concept is fundmentally sound, but the system soliciting endorsements for skills that are not already in a person's skill list is simply unacceptable. It simply destroys any confidence that anyone has in the concept.
                    Polly Gillman Jun 27 '13 at 03:58 AM
                    I agree totally with Valerie, I keep getting endorsements for skills I haven't included and they are often skills I don't have or that are not relevant, please stop making endorsement suggestions on people's behalf, it's not helpful and it's dishonest.
                    See More
                    Steven Shmerler Jul 15 '13 at 08:35 PM
                    Top Response
                    The endorsement system was not built for US. It was built for LinkedIn so that we would be manipulated to come back to their site to show Google and other search engines a ton of traffic to the LinkedIn site as well as creating the illusion to all of us, that a lot was going on. But the whole system and reasoning is bankrupt. It wasn't just poorly designed, it is fraudulent, to be blunt.

This question is closed