86 responses

Simon Hamer Feb 12 '13 at 02:59 PM
Top Response
Here's the link to the Official Answer from the "Help Center"

http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33198

I'll copy the contents below ... but use the link if you intend to act upon it, there are clickable links inside the link above.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hiding and Unhiding a Skill Endorsement
How do I hide or unhide a skill endorsement someone gave me?

You can choose to hide or unhide your skill endorsements.

Click Profile at the top of your homepage.
Click Edit in the top section of your profile.
Scroll down to the Skills & Expertise section and click the blue pencil icon.
Click the Manage Endorsements link.
Use the scroll bar on the left side of the box to view your list of skills.
Click on a skill to reveal the connections who’ve endorsed you for that skill.
Uncheck the box next to any people whose endorsements you want to hide. Or, check the box next to any you want to unhide.

Note: You may check or uncheck the box next to show/hide all endorsements to take action on all endorsements under one skill at once.

Click Save.
Click Done editing in the top section of your profile.
There isn’t a way to remove the Endorsements feature from your profile at this time. However, you can choose to hide all of your endorsements by default. This will keep all existing and new endorsements from ever displaying on your profile.

If you don't want a specific person to endorse you, you can remove the connection between the two of you. They will not be notified if you break the connection.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Dave Mason Feb 12 '13 at 03:04 PM
    Nice Simon. I can go home now, I've learned something new ;)

Vicky Thompson Feb 28 '13 at 07:23 PM
    So...8 clicks...really
    Cathy Stawarski Mar 14 '13 at 06:33 PM
    What do I do about people endorsing me that I'm not even connected to, have never met, and have no clue who they are?
    Simon Hamer May 29 '13 at 11:04 PM
    Cathy - only people connected to you can endorse you.
    http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33198
    Hannah Sinclair Jun 10 '13 at 08:28 PM
    Thank you Simon, this was incredibly helpful! In my case I have friends endorsing me for skills they have never seen me carry out! Very nice of them, but not professional and certainly undermines my credibility. Best regards, Hannah
    See More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Rob Barth Feb 22 '13 at 07:49 PM
    Top Response
    The endorsement feature is out of control. I believe it cheapens LinkedIn.
      Andreas Hopf May 31 '13 at 05:06 PM
      Agree 100%. It really is out of control. I got indorsed for skills I do not even posess, worse than a Facebook "like", because these endorsements paint a false picture of my professional capabilities.
      Jane Riddell Jun 19 '13 at 01:18 PM
      I agree that this endorsement aspect of LinkedIn devalues it. I've now started eliminating the categories which don't apply to me, and I'm not prepared to endorse anyone else when I don't know about their skills. There's another new option. Yesterday someone emailed me to request that I endorse their skills for their business card. I replied saying that I couldn't because I didn't know what their skills were.

I suppose what is contributing to this is that, despite LinkedIn advising us only to link in with people we know, we aren't doing this - and as an author trying to promote her novel, I am particularly guilty of inviting people I've never met etc.

To finish on a vaguely humorous note, I heard of someone who had been endorsed for whale hunting, which had less than nothing to do with his work....
      Rob Terhaar Sep 07 '13 at 10:04 AM
      Yes, because before endorsements, LinkedIn was so rich and useful... < ahem >
      Stephanie Haibloom, M.A. Feb 13 '13 at 04:45 PM
      Top Response
      I would prefer that only those people that know my actual skills endorse them and not my friends who may have known me for years but are endorsing me for skills I do not have. I just do not accept their endorsements but it is a truly anoying feature.
        Dave Mason Feb 12 '13 at 12:41 PM
        Top Response
        One must keep in mind that LinkedIn has always recommended that you only connect with those you know and trust. If all of your contacts know and trust you, and only your known and trusted connections can endorse you, what you are asking shouldn't exist.

The reality is we connect with people we are interested in, who may present future opportunity or maybe just because we are asked. We don't really know them but the hope is that we will get to know them or do business with them.

Until the Endorsement feature was added, only you could make changes to your profile. Now, anyone of your connections can endorse you and the only recourse you have is to remove the Skill they endorsed you under which may remove valid endorsers along with the frivolous.

I hope LI will consider modifying this feature to allow us to accept or reject specific people's endorsements.
          Charles Caro Feb 12 '13 at 04:58 PM
          Top Response
          As designed and implemented, the "Endorsement" feature is seriously flawed, but it is extremely unlikely LinkedIn is going to change anything about the feature given millions of LinkedIn members have given and received millions of "Endorsements".

At best the "Endorsement" feature is LinkedIn's answer to the "Like" button. Having "Endorsements" is a plus because the keywords used in the "Skills & Expertise" section are weighted to help with profile rankings.

Personally, I have no problem giving "Endorsements" to my 1st level connections because I feel it would be "unprofessional" to list a "skill" on a profile unless the member was able to defend why they listed the "skill".

So, have you listed any "skill" on your profile you cannot defend?
            Kevin Stack Feb 28 '13 at 03:23 PM
            I've been endorsed for skills I've never listed by people I've never met. Defend that Charles!
            Kai Großjohann Mar 24 '13 at 07:24 PM
            If LinkedIn asks me "Does X know about Y?", then I naturally assume that X has somehow indicated that they know about Y. But actually, LinkedIn is pulling the Y out of thin air. That doesn't make sense.
            Andreas Hopf May 31 '13 at 05:11 PM
            @Kevin - exactly! The way endorsements are implemented can be outright damaging.
            Larry Kokx, SET, PSP Jun 06 '13 at 01:46 PM
            Charles, as Kai said, LinkedIn is choosing the skills for you, without even giving you the chance to defend it. And I think people are so sick of the popups/prompts, they just think they are being "nice", and click "sure, whatever" instead of "skip" or the "X". So what may have started out designed and intended for good purposes, has become totally irrelevant and cheapens the website!
            Jo Toon Jul 02 '13 at 12:59 AM
            I've also been endorsed for skills I don't have - I've just gone through and removed *twelve* skills that have appeared on my profile - never been anywhere on my CV or on my job information. This could be an incredibly damaging feature :-(
            Howard Moss Feb 19 '13 at 08:01 PM
            Top Response
            I find this feature really annoying. Getting endorsements in skill areas from people you dont know or those that have endorsed you by mistake really dilutes the value of these endorsements. Despite the guidance above, on how to manage these erroneous endorsements: "Uncheck the box next to any people whose endorsements you want to hide. " When I click on the people I dont want endorsing me andsave the new limited pool of endorsements (yes..the numbers go down), upon returning to my profile, the erroneous endorsements are still there. Is there a bug in the software? Better yet...get rid of endorsements completely.
              Catherine White Feb 13 '13 at 03:50 PM
              Top Response
              It is against our compliance policy to accept endorsements or recommendations. Is there a way to block them?
                Allegra D'orazio Feb 18 '13 at 03:33 AM
                Top Response
                I am having the same problem. LInkedin is sending out endorsement requests to all my contacts, colleagues and bosses without me knowing it ! ! This is really embarrassing and annoying !
                How do we stop this??
                  Mark D. Anderson Feb 19 '13 at 09:14 PM
                  The same thing is happening to me. Why is LI continuing to send endorsement requests to people who have already endorsed me. Ridiculous. FIX THIS.
                  Virginia Benedict Feb 25 '13 at 06:05 PM
                  WoaO that is Nasty. Is this happening through email, do you know?

I do know that when you visit your profile you get ransome auto endorsement requests before atop your profile and it holds you ransome.

Not only "to people that have already endorse you" but adding skills that though related you have not specified.
                  Jim Haager Feb 14 '13 at 05:16 PM
                  Top Response
                  The endorsement tool is flippant and not restricted with little to no value, this is not Facebook! Instead, as a professional site, and as implemented for accepted recommendations, each Linkedin user should be able to DECIDE who they want to receive an endorsement from! Yes, I enjoy all my contacts and know them, but there are some I would prefer not to be endorsed by!!!!! Give me control!!!!! This is feature doesn't make LI more relevant for professionals serverd.
                    Virginia Benedict Feb 25 '13 at 06:07 PM
                    Correct! not much value at all. I was considering getting rid of this applet all together.
                    Carlos Martinez Aug 22 '13 at 03:40 PM
                    Great comment Jim! This is NOT Facebook! It's possible Linkedin may have had internal changes. Those changes may include emulating Facebook's success to get more site traffic. If this is the case, Linkedin's membership will dwindle and like facebook, turn into another version of myspace. This does make LI cheap and reduces it's appeal.
                    Michael Koch Feb 15 '13 at 03:24 AM
                    Top Response
                    I have a bigger issue. My account is somehow endorsing people I have not and barely know.
                    Is there a bug in the program?
                      Holger Kessler Feb 28 '13 at 12:07 PM
                      I have just experienced the same thing, this is bad!
                      Carlos Martinez Sep 05 '13 at 06:38 PM
                      This is the heart of the problem. Linked in is now sending auto endorsements to people in our network. Everytime someone logs in, that is ian increase in their stie traffic. Somehow this issue is going to have to be picked up by the major outlets and reported to the public in general. At that time, linked in will respond. Right now best guess is they are simply watching these blogs. I have started scaling back some of the info I have provided here and begun searching for an alternative.

My prediction is that Linked-in's solution will be....upgrade to the paid version. In the meantime, they will do nothing to the free version.
                      10|0 characters needed