22 responses

Charles Caro Apr 03 '13 at 12:04 PM
Top Response
At some point in the recent past you opened your email address book to LinkedIn for the purpose of sending out invitations and you clicked to proceed with the operation before you fully read and understood what was about to happen.

In opening your email address book to LinkedIn without fully reading the instructions you explicitly allowed LinkedIn to send an invitation to *every* email address stored in your email address book.

LinkedIn not only sent an invitation to each of the email addresses in your email address book but also LinkedIn will send out two (2) invitation reminders to each email address in your email address book.

The *only* way you can stop the invitation reminders from going out is by going to your LinkedIn "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder where you must open each pending invitation and click on the "Withdraw" option. This must be done for each pending invitation on a one-by-one basis.

There two (2) very important reasons why you should start the process now as follows:

1. LinkedIn affords each LinkedIn member with only 3,000 invitations, which are supposed to last the member a lifetime. The "Withdraw" process will stop the automatic reminders from going out to recipients, which should relieve some of the embarrassment associated with sending out the invitations, but the "withdraw" feature does not "recover" the invitations for future use. They are gone.

2. The recipients of those errant invitations have the opportunity to click on either the "I Don't Know" or spam option when the invitation lands in their inbox. Getting just five (5) "I Don't Know" or spam responses will put your account on restriction, which means you will not be able to send out any invitation without entering the email address of the recipient. You can, of course, appeal to have the restriction lifted by sending a sincere message to LinkedIn Customer Service explaining that you did not know what you were doing and that you will *never* again send out an invitation to someone you don't know.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Roni Reynolds, MBA Apr 11 '13 at 05:43 PM
    Yes good idea but they are not available for me to withdraw. I opened a ticket.
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Fredrik Menander Apr 21 '13 at 07:17 PM
    Top Response
    Go to Gmail settings, Account, Security and revoke Linkedin's access to the Gmail address book. Deleting the Imported contacts is still needed but this should avoid future repetition.
      Roni Reynolds, MBA Apr 21 '13 at 08:42 PM
      Now there is some useful information! Done! Thanks Fredrik.
      Robert J Van Leeuwen Apr 21 '13 at 10:39 PM
      AHA ! agreed - and Maybe it is Gmail - blasting from the other side, INTO Linked In. As stated previously some of the invites I receive I have no idea who the person is - nor any connection to their company or relative connection. Remember - Google wants to take over the world !
      Donna McGee Apr 29 '13 at 02:20 AM
      Went into gmail settings. No security label anywhere. Evidently been moved and cannot find it. Not happy. Please fix this. I certainly did not intend to send all the invitations that went out!
      Donna McGee Apr 29 '13 at 02:21 AM
      And, yes, do not blame gmail.
      Mohammad Saif May 25 '13 at 01:38 PM
      Fredrik,
      I have opened my account with LinkedIn with my Hotmail. Can I also do the same to avoid any future repetitions.
      Best regards,
      Mohammad Saif
      See More
      Roni Reynolds, MBA Apr 11 '13 at 05:41 PM
      Top Response
      I found you could fix it by withdrawing invitations, but it was too late for me I had already deleted them thinking that was the answer. I currently have an issue opened with them and I hope they will resolve it.
        Robert J Van Leeuwen Apr 20 '13 at 05:11 PM
        I agree this is a problem that needs to be resolved. Irresponsible of Linkedin - any automated process. Fix it please.
        Robert
        Charles Caro Oct 28 '13 at 07:36 PM
        @Roni - If you did not also "delete" all of the items from your "Inbox/Trash" folder, you can still use the "withdraw" feature. Go to your "Inbox/Trash" folder, select the invitations, and click the "undelete" option. The invitations will be moved back to the "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder where you can open them on a one-by-one basis and use the "withdraw" option.
        See More
        Cathy Sherman Apr 11 '13 at 08:46 PM
        Top Response
        I am in the same boat. I'm closing my account.
          Roni Reynolds, MBA Apr 12 '13 at 06:43 PM
          Cathy, Before you close our account, try opening a ticket with the help desk.I opened a ticket and got this response:

"Hi Roni,

I truly apologize for the delay in my response.

I’ve withdrawn all pending and bounced invitations sent from your account. Please know that withdrawing invitations doesn’t return them to your available balance of invitations. No further invitation reminders will be sent out.

I’d be happy to assist you with any additional questions you have regarding this matter or any other.

Jordan
          Your Customer Experience Advocate"
          Cathy Sherman Apr 15 '13 at 11:06 PM
          I did close because I didn't get prompt help from the help desk. I ended up reopening it, with regrets.
          Roni Reynolds, MBA Apr 22 '13 at 12:18 AM
          Yes it took a few days. It will probably take a while to reestablish connections but at least you will start with a clean slate. I also found out that in my gmail security settings I was allowing linkedin to mail on my behalf. You might want to fix this too if you will be using the same email address. I went to Account (by my pic on right) Security and scroll down to "Connected applications and sites" and revoke linkedin access to send on your behalf. Good Luck to you Cathy.
          Chris Bruner Apr 11 '13 at 05:34 PM
          Top Response
          This happened to me as well.

I'm thinking of quiting Linked in as it has basically made me out to be a spammer. I'm so mad.
            Chris Bruner Apr 11 '13 at 05:55 PM
            Top Response
            I did the same thing. Then started deleting one by one.... They can spam thousands out, but have to withdraw one at a time.
            I'm no longer a linkedin member, and I'm telling everyone I meet that they are NOT to be trusted. I never agreed to allowing them to spam my entire address book. And even if that was hidden in the small print somewhere, I think it's despicable. It makes me out to be a spammer. I was using linkedin as a professional contact system, but they've basically ruined it for me.
              Roni Reynolds, MBA Apr 11 '13 at 06:03 PM
              Its been two days since I entered my request. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. I am not a big user so I am not going to panic and close it just yet, but I don't blame you Chris. Every day I look at my wireless printer (it has an email address) and see it has printed a new reminder I fume!
              Marlene Finberg Apr 12 '13 at 03:05 PM
              Top Response
              I am going through this now also. I did not authorize any invitations to be sent out. When I changed my profile picture, this is when it happened. This is very embarrassing.
                Roni Reynolds, MBA Apr 12 '13 at 03:07 PM
                I opened a ticket with LinkedIn because after a week, I am still finding invitations on my printer so I know I am still spamming. There must be a glitch.
                Roni Reynolds, MBA Apr 12 '13 at 06:44 PM
                Marlene, Try opening a ticket with the help desk.I opened a ticket and got this response:
                "Hi Roni,
                I truly apologize for the delay in my response.
                I’ve withdrawn all pending and bounced invitations sent from your account. Please know that withdrawing invitations doesn’t return them to your available balance of invitations. No further invitation reminders will be sent out.
                I’d be happy to assist you with any additional questions you have regarding this matter or any other.
                Jordan Your Customer Experience Advocate"
                Laurel Bellon Apr 14 '13 at 09:54 PM
                Top Response
                I received a hostile, threatening email from someone who said they received an invitation from me. I have not communicated with this person in five years, since we both left the company we worked at together. He is mentally unstable and now I am a little nervous about receiving more correspondence from him, or worse. I checked just to make sure I hadn't mistakenly checked off a box I wasn't aware of, but no, in my sent invitations there is no record of any invitation sent to this person. I just checked my imported contacts as recommended by Liz (Thank you), and found this person's name in there, so LinkedIn must have sent out an automatically generated invitation. BAD PROGRAMMING. BAD. This should be fixed. I have deleted all my imported contacts.
                  Roni Reynolds, MBA Apr 15 '13 at 02:22 PM
                  That's what I did but found out the correct solution is to withdraw invites. Since I deleted them I opened a ticket with linked in and they withdrew the invitations. They went out several times. You might want to contact linked in and get the invitations withdrawn just in case. I am sorry this happened to you too.
                  Laurel Bellon Apr 15 '13 at 02:34 PM
                  That's the thing--the only invitations in my 'sent invitations' are the ones I deliberately sent-there aren't any invitations to withdraw, so maybe there really is ome kind of bug in the system. Or it actually could be that this person never received anything and was just going off.
                  Jenise Harmon Apr 15 '13 at 10:56 PM
                  Top Response
                  I'm in the same boat. I'm going to close my account.
                    Robert J Van Leeuwen Apr 20 '13 at 05:11 PM
                    I agree this is a problem that needs to be resolved. Irresponsible of Linkedin - any automated process. Fix it please.
                    Robert
                    Robert J Van Leeuwen Apr 20 '13 at 05:12 PM
                    Top Response
                    I agree this is a problem that needs to be resolved. Irresponsible of Linkedin - any automated process.
                    Fix it please.
                    Robert
                      Charles Caro Oct 28 '13 at 07:39 PM
                      @Robert - The process appears "automated" only for those folks not paying attention to what they are doing.
                      10|0 characters needed