120 responses

Benjamin Rosenthal Apr 23 '13 at 02:23 PM
Top Response
Revoke LinkedIn's ability to send messages from gmail on your behalf, folks!

https://accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens?hl=en
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Emma Campbell Apr 30 '13 at 02:55 PM
    oh my god thank you!
    Aileen McCalman-Hart May 05 '13 at 08:52 AM
    I don't kknow you, but I think I love you!!!!
    Polly Ray May 06 '13 at 01:57 PM
    I dont know you but "YOU ROCK!!!!" thank you....
    Peter Bondy, FSA, MAAA May 07 '13 at 04:31 AM
    Benjamin, what wowuld be the link to revoke linkedin's ability to access my outlook contacts?
    Kathleen Stucky May 07 '13 at 04:40 AM
    A half hour ago I went in and deleted all the so-called "imported contacts." I just went back to check on the name of the tab (imported contacts) and see they are all miraculously restored and not deleted, breathlessly waiting for me to invite them.
    See More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Charles Caro Apr 02 '13 at 04:56 AM
    Top Response
    At some point in the recent past you opened your email address book to LinkedIn for the purpose of sending out invitations and you clicked to proceed with the operation before you fully read and understood what was about to happen.

In opening your email address book to LinkedIn without fully reading the instructions you explicitly allowed LinkedIn to send an invitation to *every* email address stored in your email address book.

LinkedIn not only sent an invitation to each of the email addresses in your email address book but also LinkedIn will send out two (2) invitation reminders to each email address in your email address book.

The *only* way you can stop the invitation reminders from going out is by going to your LinkedIn "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder where you must open each pending invitation and click on the "Withdraw" option. This must be done for each pending invitation on a one-by-one basis.

There two (2) very important reasons why you should start the process now as follows:

1. LinkedIn affords each LinkedIn member with only 3,000 invitations, which are supposed to last the member a lifetime. The "Withdraw" process will stop the automatic reminders from going out to recipients, which should relieve some of the embarrassment associated with sending out the invitations, but the "withdraw" feature does not "recover" the invitations for future use. They are gone.

2. The recipients of those errant invitations have the opportunity to click on either the "I Don't Know" or spam option when the invitation lands in their inbox. Getting just five (5) "I Don't Know" or spam responses will put your account on restriction, which means you will not be able to send out any invitation without entering the email address of the recipient. You can, of course, appeal to have the restriction lifted by sending a sincere message to LinkedIn Customer Service explaining that you did not know what you were doing and that you will *never* again send out an invitation to someone you don't know.
      Pierre Simenon Apr 08 '13 at 11:27 PM
      thank you so much for your help, I could finally solve the issue that Linkedin refused to help me with.
      Jenny Gitlitz Apr 12 '13 at 06:54 PM
      Thank you, Charles, for this detailed answer. Unfortunately, in following your instructions, I discovered that yesterday LinkedIn sent out automated invitations to more than 1,300 people--most of whom I don't know. I'm being bombarded with replies and people complaining. I cannot manually withdraw over a thousand invitations. What to do?!
      Ellen Laprise Apr 17 '13 at 08:40 PM
      This is a great question, Jenny!!! Charles, can you fix this???
      Mauro Bergerman Apr 22 '13 at 01:01 PM
      Worked perfect. Thank you!
      Cobbe, Elaine Apr 23 '13 at 07:24 AM
      I don't think that's entirely accurate. I have only ever used one e-mail account with LinkedIn, and given it access to another inadvertently, but at some point somehow it has found at least two others and sent out invitation suggestions to people on those lists.

This implies some level of trawling cookie that went through my hard drive, or other open internet pages, and gleaned those addresses. I am most unhappy with that.

And while I'm at it, why does LinkedIn keep pushing people to endorse me? Endorsements are worthless if they come from people outside your sector of activity - might as well just put a "Like" button on it.
      See More
      Polly Ray Apr 05 '13 at 01:02 PM
      Top Response
      It is soooo irritating!!!! I don't need everyone on my mailing list on linkedin.

Linkedin, kindly stop sending invites to people, since we cant stop it ourselves.
        Rebecca Marquardt May 14 '13 at 04:07 PM
        ME TOO. I have asked LINKEDIN to stop this insanity!!! No one is responding. Customer service should be a lot higher and responsive.

Is this the technique to get people to upgrade!!!!??
        Esin Cornelisse May 22 '13 at 04:04 AM
        It is very annoying. I would like to respond to customer service but I can't even find 'contact us' details for linkedin
        Jeff DeCola Apr 02 '13 at 07:05 PM
        Top Response
        Linkedin obviously does this on purpose and makes it difficult to stop.
          Scott Hobbs Apr 07 '13 at 01:34 PM
          Top Response
          I feel the need to apologize to all the people that Linkedin has been spamming with invites in my name. This is a TERRIBLE business practice and I am probably going to cancel my linkedin account as a result.
          Very deceptive.
            Ellen Laprise Apr 17 '13 at 08:42 PM
            I totally agree!
            Leanne Moore Apr 22 '13 at 12:22 PM
            yes very bad business practice!
            David Youngdahl May 02 '13 at 06:28 PM
            THAT's the point! And it is self-destructive for Linked In since it creates oodles of meaningless contact which dilutes the value of any REAL contacts. Mr Caro's point is understood and he has technical clarity and accuracy but Mr Caro has missed Mr Hobbs point entirely... LinkedIn is ruining ltself! WE passively agree when we open our email address book for the purpose of sending an invitation... but LinkedIn is AGGRESSIVELY after the names in our contact files and is ruining their own business model to boot! They do not need to change their practice; someone with capital needs to create a better business contact forum. That should not be difficult.
            andrea freud loewenstein May 02 '13 at 09:56 PM
            Does anyone know how to send a letter of apology to everyone who got these invitations AND how to make LinkedIn stop doing it? I want to withdraw from this horrible thing, but I need to minimize the damage.,
            Deb Duis May 05 '13 at 09:28 AM
            Agree as well Scott.. will keep utilising facebook pages instead.
            See More
            wilson zildjian Apr 09 '13 at 07:15 PM
            Top Response
            There is a specific group of people whom I absolutely must avoid for ethical reasons. This feature has sent out invitations on its own initiative twice, and my first notice each time was that one of these people "accepted" my invitations. Terrible.
            I agree that this is likely worth quitting LinkedIn over.
              Ellen Laprise Apr 17 '13 at 08:42 PM
              LinkedIn needs to act on this error promptly. Sooner, not later.
              andrea freud loewenstein May 02 '13 at 09:55 PM
              The same thing happened to me. I don't kn ow what to do about this.
              Deb Duis May 05 '13 at 09:27 AM
              I agree. Am seriously considering doing just that!
              Bruce Kester Jul 08 '13 at 03:02 PM
              This is a totally obscure "feature" of Linkedin that will cause me to eliminate my profile and mount an internet anti-Linkedin campaign. If someone is savvy to the best way to go about exposing Linkedin's policy, please help me. Others must be notified of this unstoppable spamming. As with Wilson, I had many contacts I never, ever wanted to have this kind of "invitation" sent to. The harm is done, but Linkedin must be made to respond and change this policy
              brucekester@sbcglobal.net
              Joe White Apr 22 '13 at 12:43 PM
              Top Response
              I notice that Linked In people are not weighing in on this discussion. Do they not care?
                Kimball Robinson Jul 05 at 11:07 PM
                I care, but it is really difficult to actually participate in this conversation. I am an unusually motivated person when it comes to voicing my protest regarding spam. But there are several roadblocks: (1) realizing it's happening, (2) finding this discussion, and (3) getting logged in so I can even participate. All 3 make the numbers likely far far lower than the representative amounts. In a UX class I took (software usability) I recall hearing that only 1/10 or 1/100 people who are annoyed about something are likely to comment on it. Considering how invisible this problem can be to linkedin users, it's probably more like 1 in 100,000 actually make it here.
                Raibourn, Lelia Apr 10 '13 at 09:36 AM
                Top Response
                Thank You Charles Caro! This has been awful! Hopefully by deleting all my sent invitations I have stopped this. What a nightmare!!!!!!!!
                  Raibourn, Lelia Apr 19 '13 at 12:49 PM
                  Seems that did not work... Even though I deleted all the "invites" many people are still getting them. arhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
                  Philippe Bazin Apr 17 '13 at 07:11 AM
                  Top Response
                  That's a nightmare. Who has a solution ?
                    Ellen Laprise Apr 17 '13 at 08:44 PM
                    Charles Caro.
                    Benjamin Rosenthal May 06 '13 at 01:50 PM
                    This link revokes the ability of LinkedIn to automatically contact your gmail contacts:

https://accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens?hl=en
                    Li James Nov 27 '13 at 04:46 AM
                    I have revoked the permission, but it's still sending invitations
                    Jinraj Joshipura Apr 04 '13 at 05:46 PM
                    Top Response
                    This is a very annoying feature that will turn Linked in into a facebook "junkyard of small minds". I do not wnat Linked in to stop invitation to all contacts on hotmail. I do not know how to stop it.
                      Jeff DeCola Apr 17 '13 at 08:05 AM
                      Agreed, especially the new endorsement feature (e.g. "likes cats", "eats bread", "watches TV"). I need to find a real professional social media site.
                      10|0 characters needed