19 responses

Katarina Berg Moderator Jul 09 at 12:59 PM
Top Response
Hi everyone! Thanks for all the feedback and comments on this. I'll make sure to forward them on to the correct team here at LinkedIn.

At the moment, we recommend to use the Professional Headline (the line right under your name on your profile) and the Summary sections to describe the different career paths. I know it's not ideal, and I can assure you we're considering different options to solve this. If you have any suggestions, please send them on to us via http://help.linkedin.com/app/ask/path - thank you!
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Maureen Bragg Jul 29 at 07:18 PM
    So glad to see someone from on LinkedIn chime in. Happy to write up thoughts and submit to the URL you provided.
    Patrick Erwin Jul 29 at 07:23 PM
    Thanks, Katarina. I'm happy to see this is being discussed, as well.

Per your email suggestion, I sent a comment. (#140729-016594)
    Cari Sem Sep 19 at 08:02 PM
    Yes! At bare minimum, we need a way to show 2 SEPARATE careers. This has been my major problem with LinkedIn for YEARS! Listing them under the experience section is not solving the issue here. Ideally, we would also have a way to keep 1 of the careers private to certain users like many are suggesting in the thread below.
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Elisa Pasquali Jun 23 '13 at 07:17 PM
    Top Response
    It would be cool if LinkedIN could add a feature where you could show/hide parts of your CV/Profile to certain contacts. I don't want my engineering contacts to know about my screenwriting, for instance (it looks unprofessional), but I also want my screenwriting contacts to know I'm not just an engineer, but a screenwriter too. LinkedIN should add a feature that allows this...
      Steven Harris Jul 29 '13 at 11:48 PM
      Top Response
      I support Elisa's comment. I have a career in Government, but a separate (aspirational) career as a musician. I would like to be able to run two profiles, even if there is a link between them so that there is no confusion about double identities.

Gordon Bagshaw Jan 21 at 06:12 PM
        I couldn't agree more. I am a corporate English teacher but also a comic strip artist. I would love to separate these two because on the same profile, the two fields can't be equally represented. One suffers under the other.
        Ruthmarie Hicks Aug 07 '13 at 05:27 PM
        Top Response
        With so many people desperately trying to make ends meet, many are working two separate career pathways. LinkedIn needs to get with the program and allow us to customize our profiles for this reality. Sorry, that quick fix with experience is not going to cut the mustard.
          Kirk D. Heineman Apr 15 at 10:17 PM
          I support Ruthmarie's comment. I am thankful in this age of economic uncertainty to have a second career in the hospitality business. I have worked as a technical writer and a pastry chef and in better times would be working as a tech writer making lots more money--but for 5 years I have been working as a cook---to make ends meet. I need two distinctly different sites to present my expertise in each profession.
          Chirag Kamdar Sep 20 '13 at 03:07 PM
          Top Response
          Charles Caro gave a good answer (It was a good information that I did not know ) but i don't think that is a solution to what we are looking for ... we need a solution where either BOTH the titles actually appear in the HEADING ..
            Maureen Bragg Sep 20 '13 at 03:28 PM
            Yes, if more than one position is current, the user needs to be able toselect which title is listed under each post.
            Charles Caro Sep 20 '13 at 06:00 PM
            @Chirag - LinkedIn remains in control of the website, and there are literally tens of thousands of LinkedIn members able to work well enough within the limitations of the website.
            Maureen Bragg Oct 07 '13 at 07:12 PM
            There is a way to have both in the headline by editing the basic profile settings.

This still doesn't take care of my need, which is the ability to choose which title is associated with my posts. It's unacceptable to my client to have my other position listed, which is my primary business. I've figured out a way to have two different LinkedIn profiles, but it's not ideal, because I constantly have to sign in/out between them.

I'm maintaining my contacts in my primary account. When I need to post under the other title, I use the secondary account. Not ideal, but works for the time being.
            Maureen Bragg May 30 at 04:31 PM
            @Charles What gives?

Your comments that "everyone else seems to make it work" doesn't help forward the conversation. Software is always continually improving and evolving from real world feedback.

Once a product gets to the maturity level of LI, it should be able to start addressing the needs of the outliers, not just the majority.
            Rebecca Wise Girson Oct 07 '13 at 02:08 PM
            Top Response
            Interesting thread and an even more interesting response from Charles regarding a feature request that would likely be beneficial to many (including myself). Describing how it works today is helpful, but reiterating the fact that "tens of thousands of LinkedIn members able to work well enough within the limitations of the website" is not. Wondering if LinkedIn has the equivalent of a "suggestion box." Apparently this is not the vehicle for users to make feature requests.

(BTW- I just submitted feedback to LinkedIn with a link to this string. It will be interesting if anyone replies.)
              Charles Caro Apr 02 '13 at 01:18 AM
              Top Response
              You can include as many "current" positions in the "Experience" section of your LinkedIn profile as you need and you can arrange "current" positions as you want them to display in the "Experience" section, but only the position listed at the top of the "Experience" section will be shown in the "Heading" section of your profile.

In short, there is no way to list more than one "current" position in the "Heading" section of a LinkedIn profile.
                Jayapaul Anand Aug 01 '13 at 04:49 PM
                Simple fix! Thanks...
                Zacchaeus Nifong Aug 12 '13 at 03:34 AM
                Great answer. Thank you.
                Nalini J Johnson Jul 08 at 03:02 PM
                I find your responses to others in this thread to be condescending and limiting. Please think outside the box. Creative LinkedIn users will appreciate it. I for one will be looking for an alternative to LinkedIn to search for my next position.
                Simon Craig Apr 02 '13 at 03:21 AM
                Top Response
                I work as a Software Engineer and completely separately in the entertainment industry doing work not related at all. Is there no way I show this on Linked in? Is there even a way of highlighting the two career threads separately?
                  Charles Caro Apr 02 '13 at 04:33 AM
                  As I said, you can list as many "current" positions as you would like in the "Experience" section of your profile and you can mention the two careers in the "Summary" section of your profile, but *only* one (1) "current" position will show in the "Heading" section of your profile. This is what every other LinkedIn member does in such circumstances, and the LinkedIn User Prohibits someone from having more than a single LinkedIn account.
                  Don Wallin Aug 07 '13 at 10:12 PM
                  In response to Charles' note, I have two positions and my most recent position (board member) is showing up as my "current" position. I cannot figure out how to make my other position show up as my current position - essentially switching the priority of the two positions. Any ideas? Thank you.
                  Charles Caro Aug 08 '13 at 12:14 AM
                  @Don - If both positions are "current", which would mean the "end date" is showing as "present", you can rearrange the order of the entries using "Drag and Drop". From your "Edit Profile", scroll down to the "Experience" section and look for an "up/down arrow" to the far right on the line showing the job title. Move your mouse cursor over the "up/down arrow" and click/hold the left mouse button to "Drag and Drop" the entry to a new position amongst the "current" positions. The feature works only with "current" positions.

Maureen Bragg Sep 18 '13 at 10:23 PM
                  Top Response
                  What if you are working two or more simultaneously? Some posts need to appear under one title, others under the second title. I'm doing work for a non-profit and it's really confusing to see my posts under another job title.
                    Charles Caro Sep 20 '13 at 05:59 PM
                    @Maureen - As a networking website for professionals, one can only hope members are able to sort through their own messages.
                    Maureen Bragg May 30 at 04:23 PM
                    I wasn't saying it was confusing for me...

I'm doing some work for a non-profit and managing a LinkedIn group. To see posts from me with a completely company (and industry) is confusing to the audience.
                    Gregory Perez Oct 11 '13 at 07:48 AM
                    Top Response
                    Definitely agree. I am social Worker for a career, but i am also a professional Dj. two definite opposites that do not belong together.
                      10|0 characters needed