36 responses

Nigel Ward May 09 '13 at 10:26 PM
Top Response
I can't really believe it, but there seems to be little alternative: LinkedIn have found that thousands (millions?) of subscribers have signed up and have either forgotten to cancel or have given up trying to find a way to do it.
The Owners must be, quite simply, rolling in it! It's deceitful and totally wrong, but they obviously know by now that there is no proper 'cancel' feature - and they have chosen to leave it that way and make a lot more money.
How to stop it? This worked for me:
Write to them (use the Contact page) - then do it again and again. Maybe 5 times.
Then call your credit card company and tell them that you need a new one - tell them you think that the old one has been tampered with in some way. Then never, NEVER spend any money again with LinkedIn - and tell as many people as possible how you have been deceived.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Harikrishnan. S Aug 05 '13 at 07:53 PM
    Top Response
    I cancelled out just now. Here's to the rest of the folks. Click your name on the top corner, it will drop to settings. In the settings, you have a link which cancels out your "free trial". Hope all others succeed. I certainly am not in favor of how linkedin has made it so difficult to cancel...Look at their statistics...which say 50% of them stayed as premium users...I would say they stayed since they did not know how to cancel!!!
      Steve Chuter Jan 27 at 06:52 AM
      Top Response
      Needing assistance from others to 'downgrade' your LinkedIn account is proof enough that LinkedIn knew exactly what they were doing when they designed the 'Account Settings' of their website - no one requests assistance to 'upgrade' their account because it was designed to be a simple 'at the click of a button' process to take your money, but a different story when you want to stop paying.
      Can someone from LinkedIn respond to these concerns by changing the process rather than providing the complex explanation of how to overcome the problem.
        Victor Grazi Mar 29 '13 at 05:48 PM
        Top Response
        Thanks Margaret. I don't know if I am going blind, but I absolutely do not see an option for downgrading to basic in the link page you provided.
          Rune Hansen Apr 26 '13 at 09:20 PM
          Top Response
          i totally agree. There is no obvious way to down grade in "settings". This is very anoying. It would have been a nice service if it had been a possibility to switch according to your needs. This is a cheap trick to try to hide the option. Please Linkedin, come on, I thought you were better than that.....
            Kristina Likhovid Jan 27 at 12:52 AM
            Top Response
            You can cancel or change your Premium account from your Privacy & Settings page.

To cancel and switch to a free Basic account:
            Move your cursor over your photo in the top right of your homepage and select Privacy & Settings.
            You may be prompted to sign in to your account to get to your settings.
            In the top box, under Account Type, click Downgrade or cancel your premium account.
            Click the Continue Cancellation button below.
            If you were directed to the Downgrade Your Premium Account page, you may need to click the Cancel Your Premium Account link first. Then click the Continue Cancellation button.
            If you were directed to the Cancel Your Premium Account page, click the Continue Cancellation button.
            Complete the form and click Continue.
            Note: When canceling your Premium account:

Cancelation will end billing and remove your access to any premium features at the end of your current billing cycle.
            Changes will be effective on the billing expiration date of your current subscription, at the end of the monthly renewal date for Premium accounts, and at the end of the year for annual Premium accounts.
            Access to all accumulated InMail credits will be lost upon cancelation and will not be granted back.
            To Downgrade to a different Premium account:
            Learn more about different account types and LinkedIn Premium account features.
              Thành Đào Mar 14 at 07:08 AM
              do i have money back if i downgrade the account?
              Nigel Ward Apr 14 '13 at 10:23 AM
              Top Response
              You are right, as far as I can see!
              The 'cancel' option brings you to a question page - what use is that?
              LinkedIn is too big and too respected to be intentionally defrauding people - they must have left out the 'cancel' route in error - but why don't they admit it and do something about it?
                David Robertson, MA EML Mar 20 at 02:47 AM
                Top Response
                Honestly, this is ridiculous. Reorder a new credit card and have the number changed. This is the ONLY way that seems to work.
                  Curt Massie Apr 24 '13 at 05:51 PM
                  Top Response
                  Same here Victor! Thanks for verifying that I am not going nuts -- yet!!
                    James Barta May 09 '13 at 03:47 PM
                    Top Response
                    It is May 9th and it hasn't been fixed. Anybody find an answer?
                      Harikrishnan. S Aug 05 '13 at 08:00 PM
                      Click your name on top right of page. Goto Settings. Option is available there to cancel this "free" upgrade. 2 more screens and you are downgraded. Hope that helps.
                      10|0 characters needed