6 responses

greta faigen Mar 24 '13 at 04:57 PM
Top Response
Thank you for your kind response. I have stated in my original complaint that I do not have an address book at LinkedIn. My address book is only in my personal business account and many of the people invitations were sent to are not even in my business account. I have many accounts but there are heavily protected. More than that, people that are not in my business address book were invited.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Charles Caro Mar 24 '13 at 05:26 PM
    For every email address you have, which would be completely external to LinkedIn you will have an email address book. As I said, at some point you opened your email address book to LinkedIn for the purpose of sending out invitations and you clicked to proceed with the operation before you fully read and understood what was about to happen. It doesn't happen any other way. By the way, the LinkedIn User Agreement (Section 2.3.) stipulates a member may have one and only one member account. The exact language from the LinkedIn User Agreement is as follows:
    "Service Eligibility.

To be eligible to use the Service, you must meet the following criteria and represent and warrant that you: (1) are 18 years of age or older; (2) are not currently restricted from the Services, or not otherwise prohibited from having a LinkedIn account, (3) are not a competitor of LinkedIn or are not using the Services for reasons that are in competition with LinkedIn; (4) will only maintain one LinkedIn account at any given time; (5) have full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and doing so will not violate any other agreement to which you are a party; (6) will not violate any rights of LinkedIn, including intellectual property rights such as copyright or trademark rights; and (7) agree to provide at your cost all equipment, software, and internet access necessary to use the Services."
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Charles Caro Mar 24 '13 at 03:04 AM
    Top Response
    At some point in the recent past you opened your email address book to LinkedIn for the purpose of sending out invitations and you clicked to proceed with the operation before you fully read and understood what was about to happen.

In opening your email address book to LinkedIn without fully reading the instructions you explicitly allowed LinkedIn to send an invitation to *every* email address stored in your email address book.

LinkedIn not only sent an invitation to each of the email addresses in your email address book but also LinkedIn will send out two (2) invitation reminders to each email address in your email address book.

The *only* way you can stop the invitation reminders from going out is by going to your LinkedIn "Inbox/Invitations/Sent" folder where you must open each pending invitation and click on the "Withdraw" option. This must be done for each pending invitation on a one-by-one basis.

There two (2) very important reasons why you should start the process now as follows:

1. LinkedIn affords each LinkedIn member with only 3,000 invitations, which are supposed to last the member a lifetime. The "Withdraw" process will stop the automatic reminders from going out to recipients, which should relieve some of the embarrassment associated with sending out the invitations, but the "withdraw" feature does not "recover" the invitations for future use. They are gone.

2. The recipients of those errant invitations have the opportunity to click on either the "I Don't Know" or spam option when the invitation lands in their inbox. Getting just five (5) "I Don't Know" or spam responses will put your account on restriction, which means you will not be able to send out any invitation without entering the email address of the recipient. You can, of course, appeal to have the restriction lifted by sending a sincere message to LinkedIn Customer Service explaining that you did not know what you were doing and that you will *never* again send out an invitation to someone you don't know.
      greta faigen Mar 24 '13 at 03:22 AM
      I never had an address book on LinkedIn. It is not that I did not know what I was doing, I simply did not have any addresses or contacts so I have nothing to write to LinkedIn other than what I wrote.

Thank you for your kind response.
      greta faigen Mar 24 '13 at 05:32 PM
      Top Response

Thank you for your kind responses. An important point:

I have never added my contacts from a different account.
      My business address is heavily protected and some of the invitations went to people that are not even on LinkedIn or in my personal address book. People I never heard of. I am not dumb enough to add my business contacts.

H.K. Rainey May 14 '13 at 09:45 PM
        Top Response
        Hello. Recently, my Linked In account has been sending connection requests to people I don't know. People I've never even heard of and were not in any address book I had listed anywhere in any of my social networking or email accounts. One of these people happened randomly to be the brother of a man I work with but who I did not know existed and have never met who lives in a completely different state. The other was to a man who lives in South Africa, a place I've never been to and whose name I didn't even know until I saw that he had "accepted my connection request." I removed this man from my connections, but then, the connection request happened again with this other gentleman who is my colleague's brother. I have changed my password, but I am worried about what has been happening here. Does some one have access to my account? Have I been scammed in some way?
          Andrea Zannin Nov 01 '13 at 10:39 AM
          Top Response
          Hi
          How can i report a scum from the linkedin web page?
          Do they have a department where i can send more info?
          Regards
            Charles Caro Nov 01 '13 at 10:00 PM
            @Andrea - Send a message to LinkedIn Customer Service through the "Contact Us" link appearing at the top of every LinkedIn Help Forum webpage.
            Margaret A Ost Nov 01 '13 at 04:48 PM
            Top Response
              10|0 characters needed