61 responses

Victoria Ipri Feb 21 at 05:24 PM
Top Response
Wow...where is the love?! I'm with Jim Yenzer, et al.

Newsflash, people: YOU ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT. If "anonymous" views your profile, so what? Ignore it and move on. Don't you have real work to do?

Paul - great step on LinkedIn's part. Keep up the good work.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Charles Caro Feb 21 at 06:09 PM
    @Victoria - Correct me in the event I am wrong, but it seems near 90% or more of all LinkedIn members have a Basic subscription meaning they would only see five (5) items on the "Who's Viewed Your Profile" listing anyway. All other views would be "anonymous" regardless of the member's privacy settings.

The whole "anonymous" views issue seems superfluous at best.

By the way, the "Flag as inappropriate" link on the same menu has been removed. The "Flag as inappropriate" option is now labeled as the "report" part of the "Block or report" feature. There is an expanded view, which should have been the view shown below.

Here is a link:

http://imgur.com/6c9OtuV
    Michele Herrmann Feb 21 at 09:10 PM
    Victoria, I agree but a stalker can pose as anonymous and unless LinkedIn already does this, they need to limit how many times a person can use this feature with viewing a single profile.
    Jim Yenzer Feb 21 at 10:35 PM
    Michele Herrmann I think you have said it best. LinkedIn has a feature that has the ability to be used as a weapon by predators so you came to a conclusion that is really quite brilliant.

How does LinkedIn have the ability to determine when it becomes to be too creepy and the anonymous user feature has been abused by one individual. I think you put a monthly limit or cap or something on anonymous views per profile. So here me out, lets say you go over two anonymous profile searches on one person. The 3rd one is going to cost $10 and you have to be subject to the middle viewing status. If you need to see that profile so badly yet again anonymously than $10 should be no big deal. The middle viewing status is where the person being viewed can not see your name but it shows what industry you are in. That gives the person being viewed the chance to try to figure the anonymous viewer out with a careful enough search.

Michele I would like to hear your view on a happy medium solutions because you are exactly correct. If you have some poser that is not who they say they but are viewing your profile ever single day anonymously and you have no way to block them because there profile is fake you have absolutely no recourse and you can never stop them. But if the next search makes that person less hidden, even if its a fake account, it acts as large deterrent because if they are eventually caught the person searching you could expose themselves to potentially criminal issues.
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/11/judge_rules_case_of_fake_faceb.html

I will point this out I posted two fake accounts that I found on LinkedIn yesterday that are clearly fake. They are still live as of now. See below. So is everyone doing there part to stop the abuse on LinkedIn, my answer would be no.

de.linkedin.com/pub/xxxxx-xxxx/33/51b/578/en
    http://in.linkedin.com/pub/xx-xx/19/993/309

Cathy Zajdel Feb 23 at 02:42 PM
    Victoria..I so agree with you! It drives me absolutely crazy that all these people go CRAZY that someone is looking at them!!! OMG. I just do NOT GET why people do NOT realize that any professional information they have on this professional networking site can be obtained in many, many other ways. Nothing is secret in this world anymore!! Don't people realize that??? I just do not understand at all...so forgive me if I seem irate, but geez...this is the world we live in. Does everyone realize that someone can Google LinkedIn and find your profile and get your info there and you will never know it? It doesn't give all information, but it gives enough and you have NO control over that. If you do not want people looking, please disconnect from LinkedIn...plain and simple...done. Just don't be on here. You then will not be exposing yourself to "stalkers."
    Michelle Zubatch Mar 05 at 02:10 PM
    I am grateful they have the blocked feature now. You don't need an upgraded profile, just follow simple directions.

Anonymous users are recruiters - there, mystery solved. No need to panic, no one is stalking you. They just want to hunt for new talent without the drama. Be thankful that your profile was impressive enough for them to view it and consider you to be presented for a position. I would agree it would be nice to have an option in privacy settings to check off that no anonymous views are permitted, but remember then no recruiters will be able to view your profile and you may miss out on some good opportunities. I would think this is one of main reasons why people are on this site to begin with. Perhaps this is coming as a feature down the road.

Linkedin is the ONLY social media that allows you to know who is viewing your profile. Not Facebook, not Instagram, not Twitter, and not Vine. No one is forcing you to manage a profile on Linkedin. Oh yeah, and its free! What more can you ask for?

I love Linkedin. This is the only professional website I would spend my time managing my profile and connect with others in my industry.

Thank you Paul Rockwell!
    See More
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Jim Yenzer Feb 20 at 10:16 PM
    Top Response
    Paul I have not explored the feature yet but I want to be the first to finally say thank you for a step in the right direction.
      Charles Caro Feb 20 at 11:48 PM
      Top Response
      Interesting, but a careful read of the content at the link provided with the "question" indicates a member can only "block" someone when they are able to access the member's profile, which means it would be impossible to "block" an anonymous view of a member's profile because the member cannot view the member profile doing the viewing.

In addition, it would be a *bad* idea to adjust privacy settings to be "anonymous" before using the blocking feature because by doing so the member would lose all of their history for people viewing their profile.

So, the "blocking" feature falls well short of what many members have been looking for in a "blocking" feature.
        Allison Sova Feb 21 at 01:41 AM
        Absolutely falls short since there are so many people that view you as "anonymous" linked in member, you cannot block them. I have had this issue with linked in and there response is anyone can be anonymous, I feel if someone wants to see your profile their should be no reason to have "anonymous" - I would like to know all those folks that view me that way. Have requested solutions for quite a while.
        Jim Yenzer Feb 21 at 02:04 AM
        I maybe in the minority but I think this is a step in the right direction. If anonymous viewing bothers you it's likely because you have concerns of a user searching for potentially nefarious purposes. Hopefully there are only a handful of individuals that have that ability for your average Joe. You then go to their profile and block them; simple enough. You are basically guessing it's them. We have to see how this plays out and see if the anonymous searches slow down after that.

I see a much larger problem than anonymous searching that gets much less attention with fake accounts. LinkedIn is doing a poor job in policing its platform. This is the largest asset LinkedIn owns. If they fail to aggressively combat fake accounts the platform loses integrity and it loses our trust. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-07/linkedin-sues-unknown-hackers-over-thousands-of-fake-accounts.html

LinkedIn is the premier online resume platform. We all have a vested interest in being vigilant to protect it. With 259 million members LinkedIn can't stop every fake account but should do much much better. I could place 100's of examples on this post but here are 2. You be the judge, are these accounts real or fake and why does LinkedIn not stop something so obvious?

de.linkedin.com/pub/xxxxx-xxxx/33/51b/578/en
        http://in.linkedin.com/pub/xx-xx/19/993/309

See how many other accounts you notice that are fake on the second link under the section on the right, "Viewers of this profile also viewed..."

In my layman view this is a crime perpetrated by the user in the form of impersonation. A NJ Court has held this to be true. Read what the Honorable Judge Ironson said in a Facebook case. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/11/judge_rules_case_of_fake_faceb.html

The bottom line is LinkedIn is the best thing we've got for the purpose it serves. We all have to do our part, report bad apples and push LinkedIn to do more. The platform belongs to all of us.
        Erick Wiggins Feb 21 at 12:19 AM
        Top Response
        Thank you for this blocking feature. Please take the next step of allowing a feature to block anonymous members from viewing our profile if we do not want anonymous viewers.
        How soon can we expect this change?
          Peter Ireland Feb 22 at 05:53 PM
          What does it matter if an anonymous person takes a peek at your profile?
          Art Shiels Feb 20 at 11:30 PM
          Top Response
          Am I missing something here? First step to blocking "go to page of member you wish to block", how you block Anonymous??
            Allison Sova Feb 21 at 01:59 AM
            Top Response
            Allison Sova (just now) EditDelete
            Remove the ability to be a linkedin member viewing anonymously - this is a professional site, and those that view you as linkedin member - anonymous - why ? are they stalkers? you cannot block them, you cannot find out who they are - and I get lots of these and my requests for the details of who they are I have been told is confidential and Linked In does not give out that information. Well then stop allowing this. If someone has an interest in you professionally, why are they able to hide behind this confidential ability to stalk you! Explain this - since this is not necessary! You are protecting stalkers, or others that have no interest in you professionally! Take this seriously!
              Thea Star Gaillard Mar 01 at 02:10 AM
              Allison I agree with you 100% I get so irritated every time someone views my profile as 'anonymous'! It will be great if LinkedIn created a feature that allowed users an opportunity to lock their profile. In other words, it will be great if there was a button I could press to prevent others from viewing my profile unless they identified themselves. After all, I'm on LinkedIn to enhance my professional life not gain an over zealous crazy person as a stalker!
              Debbie Fishell Mar 02 at 03:07 PM
              'Anonymous' should not be allowed. Why are they hiding?
              Christian Georgiev May 07 at 02:20 PM
              Alison, I agree and support your views completely. This is a professional network. Why anonymous? If someone wants "anonymous" there is Facebook for them!

Really for the past year LinkedIn has been losing steadily its attraction as a professional network - it is becoming a fun site.
              I expect very soon someone to come up with a new network for the professional community - there is clearly a demand.
              Werner van Rijsbergen May 07 at 09:37 PM
              You haven't seen this one...
              LinkedIn as a database for a dating site... Oh boy... This is so wrong.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/05/05/linkedin-dating-app-like-tinder/
              Nick Spring Feb 21 at 10:09 PM
              Top Response
              Dear Paul,

This initiative just doesn't address the core issue. Why can't we just block Anonymous stalkers? The activity isn't just creepy but in certain circumstances appears to be dangerous as well. For a professional social site that promotes networking I can't understand why anonymous stalking has any place here to begin with. Paul, can you explain exactly what the benefits are to a. the stalker and b. the person being stalked are? Why not do the community a favor and just allow us to chose to block anonymous stalkers?

Thanks for your tiny step so far - now let's see you do the right thing and allow us to block or completely ban anonymous stalking altogether.
                Peter Ireland Feb 21 at 10:20 PM
                If they are anonymous how do you know that you are being stalked by the same person? How do you know that it's not simply random members taking a single peek?
                Art Shiels Feb 21 at 11:45 PM
                Top Response
                Victoria Ipri wrote, "Wow...where is the love?! I'm with Jim Yenzer, et al.

Newsflash, people: YOU ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT. If "anonymous" views your profile, so what? Ignore it and move on. Don't you have real work to do?
                Paul - great step on LinkedIn's part. Keep up the good work."

I have seen quite a few comments trying to minimize the entire "anonymous" viewing issue, implying it is no big deal? If it is no big deal what is the need for anonymous viewing to begin with?? The concept of anonymous viewing is entirely counterintuitive to the general philosophy business and industry are trying to promote, which is "transparency". There is nothing transparent about someone lurking in the shadows unwilling to identify themselves.

For me and obviously for very many others it is matter of principle. That is why this issue will not die. How can member security provided while shadow lurking is an approved LinkedIn policy?

If the ability to block anonymous viewing is proving to be such a technical challenge for LinkedIn, there is a very, very simple solution, just eliminate anonymous viewing as an option!!
                  Jim Yenzer Feb 22 at 04:22 AM
                  Art I am a realist. LinkedIn announced the blocking feature in August 2013. It just got here yesterday Feb. 20, 2014. I think there will likely eventually be a change in some form to the anonymous viewing I just don't think it will be what most people want. The recruiters pay huge money for LinkedIn that demand that anonymous feature. Likely we have to start all over again and someone will have to form the anonymous blocking petition. I am doing my part. I would ask you to sign up for this petition.

https://www.change.org/petitions/linkedin-must-stop-the-aggressive-proliferation-of-fake-accounts-before-the-damage-is-irreversible
                  danielle hatfield Mar 05 at 03:07 PM
                  Art, I agree this should not be ignored. I was floored by Victoria's flippant disregard for safety concerns regarding the very real threat of online stalking.

As I commented above on her post : I wonder how many people have been harmed after asking for help and protection from stalkers only to be told "Newsflash, people: YOU ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT."
                  Ian Calvert Feb 20 at 10:52 PM
                  Top Response
                  Paul - if people are causing distress or annoyance by continually viewing your profile via LinkedIn member or Anonymous viewing, how or who do know who to block? Unless I have missed it, when will be giving us the feature to block LinkedIn members or Anonymous members from viewing our profiles?
                    Don Truex Aug 14 at 11:53 PM
                    When they can no longer sell the feature to those who wish to remain anonymous it would seem. As long as money can be made from selling this sort of access to you I expect it will continue.
                    Art Shiels Feb 20 at 11:32 PM
                    Top Response
                    How does feature allow for blocking Anonymous viewing?
                      10|0 characters needed