14 responses

Roger Risko Mar 15 '13 at 02:20 AM
Top Response
Instead of having presumptive "opinions" regarding a well thought out internet networking service.....can a moderator offer a way for someone to contact a LinkedIn staffer to explain why a community service volunteer cannot segregate and therefore promote his or her own business without being limited to a profile established for non profit purposes but now needs their own promotional profile with a separate purpose?

(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Robin Ellis Mar 22 '13 at 06:59 PM
    Great question to a bureaucratic response that is not considering the use case for the service at all. LInkIn, get with the program. Many talented people have multiple fields of endeavours they wish to not intertwine.
    Margaret A Ost Mar 22 '13 at 07:22 PM
    I can't explain the inner workings of LI, as I don't work there, just live 2 blocks away from one office with a very public address. But I do know how large companies, work, as do many readers here, which us, brilliant suggestions to grow a business may never get to decision makers.

Once a marketing person in a company insisted on putting prices in pale gray against white that I had to fax to generate business. Who asked me?

In other companies...twice...was sent to trade shows in Canada because we were too late for the equivalent American ones.

The point is other people do what they want and we are often not in a position to do anything but shake our heads knowing our decisions are also going to be critiqued.
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    Roger Risko Mar 11 '13 at 01:54 AM
    Top Response
    I have all of my connections and profile geared towards my community service and volunteer activity, and intentionally have not used Linkedin to promote my own business, but would like to do that without "mixing" the two since the contacts are dissimlar entirely
      Margaret A Ost Mar 11 '13 at 02:56 AM
      It is against the LinkedIn terms of service. So, while it is technically possible, you could find yourself hearing from them about it.
      Roger Risko Oct 04 '13 at 03:05 AM
      "Hearing from them, ha, don't make me laugh! Their interest in the individual is about as high on the priority list as finding life on mars!
      Heather E. Ash Oct 03 '13 at 05:28 PM
      Top Response
      This is a huge problem for me. I have two different fields of expertise under two different names, and they must necessarily be kept separate for many reasons, including potential legal ones. I'm sorry that LinkedIn assumes everyone has one job and one field, because it means we can't take full advantage of their services. I dislike that LinkedIn thinks I'm "wrong" if I try to sign up for two different accounts (because they want to make money the "right" way), but it's not appropriate for me to give new contacts in one business the link to my profile that is geared toward a different field. As others above have stated, LinkedIn should face the reality that some people operate in separate professional spheres. Successful companies, especially those in technology and social media, don't force users to adapt to their vision, but start with meeting the needs of the users and adapt as the service evolves. I fear LinkedIn has gotten so big and successful, it thinks it is above this principle.
        Roger Risko Oct 04 '13 at 03:02 AM
        So unfortunate that Facebook, and Linkedin both are so convinced that their "highly intelligent" techies they were lucky to hire are broadly based and experienced in the business world!
        Why would anybody who has a community based organization (CBO) affiliation, and also their own for profit business, want to mix the two? It has left me "flat" in terms of passionate and frequent usage, log ons, and I have often considered just closing my account and promote my clients, and those my Rotary club serves elsewhere. Very sad state of "selective protocol" with nothing to be gained by frustrated users, be they frequent or otherwise.
        Bernadine Neveling Mar 14 '13 at 11:42 PM
        Top Response
        Please help me merge 2 accounts into 1 ??

Thank you.
          Margaret A Ost Mar 22 '13 at 07:12 PM
          Use CONTACT US to request.
          Alain Fluet Oct 03 '13 at 05:41 PM
          Top Response
          I'm glad to see I'm not the only having a similar problem. Just too bad LinkedIn can't adapt to the reality of the modern world. I downgraded my account as its usefulness is much less than expected, the present problem being a true problem for me.
            Roger Risko Oct 04 '13 at 03:07 AM
            Top Response
            I choose to create another response for one reason, and one reason only: TO GET THROUGH TO ANY LINKEDIN STAFF WHO JUST MIGHT TAKE SOME INTEREST IN THE ISSUE INVOLVED IN THIS THREAD. ARE YOU OUT THERE SOMEWHERE LINKEDIN STAFFER? HOPE SO, THIS IS A VERY EASY PROBLEM TO SOLVE AND WOULD MAKE MANY OF YOUR USERS VERY HAPPY!
              Gloria Justen Oct 21 '13 at 06:16 PM
              Top Response
              I have the same issue. Two separate fields of endeavor and businesses which I would like to keep separate.
                Albert Schinazi Oct 31 '13 at 07:29 PM
                Top Response
                I have more than one business and I have found the inability to create multiple profiles extremely frustrating. This situation makes me very hesitant to use LinkedIn and I would definitely NOT upgrade to premium services.

My request of LinkedIn is to offer the option to create multiple profiles for those of us who have multiple business activities that do not overlap and would be confusing especially for business associates or clients making first contact.
                  driss bouissa Nov 30 '13 at 10:40 AM
                  Top Response
                  This is critical as most people working in the culture/art industry need to have two activities in parallel and the profil can be confusing if you mix all in one. a solution must be created, otherwise both linkedin, companies and job seekers loose a chance.
                    David Russell Dec 10 '13 at 09:30 PM
                    Top Response
                    I couldn't agree more. I actually operate as two different "people," per se. In the arts industry I use my first and middle name (my last name never sounded great on the air!), whereas by day in my other professional life I use my full first and surname. Completely different networking areas and I'm literally known by different names in the different fields (no - it's not fraud - many authors have pseudonyms). Having a second profile (heck I'm willing to use a second email address) is necessary for me to fully use LI effectively.
                      10|0 characters needed