4 responses

Victoria Ipri Oct 10 '13 at 03:01 PM
Top Response
Hi Tiffany-

Anonymous viewers are those who have set their Privacy settings to Anonymous. They do not want others to know who they are when they view profiles. Very often, these people are job seekers who do not want their current bosses to know they are looking for new positions. But then, as they browse around on LinkedIn for other reasons, they pop up as Anonymous and cause concern for people like you who wonder "Who the heck is looking at me?!"

Many LI members wish the Anonymous option would be removed, but seeing as how LI serves millions of job seekers, it is unlikely...at least, not in the near future.
(Comments are locked) Sign in to comment More
    Sam Bailey Jan 18 at 12:42 PM
    No disrespect but you seem to be confusing two similar but distinct issues. Premium LI Jobseeker Accounts have the ability to block their connections from seeing their job search activities reviewing job adverts and posting comments. Connections can normally see evidence of such activity in the activity feed updates of their connections. If your boss or manager is one of your connections, updates revealing job search activity could indicate disloyalty. This is a separate issue from Profile Browsing, where profile visits are recorded in the viewing history of every LI profile. "Who's Viewed my Profile?" data is only visible to the owner of the profile in question. No boss looking at the profiles of employees would be able to see their viewing histories anyway.

Anonymous Views are a totally separate matter from Private Searching for job, which leaves no evidence of job search activity (such as comments in HR group discussions or Jobs group discussions or posts in reply to LI job adverts) for your connections to notice. Anonymous Viewing is the visiting of other LI profile with visibility settings set to anonymous. Two completely different things.
    10|2000 characters needed characters left
    m allison Oct 11 '13 at 10:53 PM
    Top Response
    is there a way I can be certain of my settings? for example, can you send me a picture of what anonymous people see? I have a lot of curiosity seekers as well with several fake accounts. I can tell they are fake because of some of the details in their account which show up and because of some of the linked in members who have viewed the account previously - in other words, I know who they know
      Sam Bailey Jan 18 at 12:24 PM
      It's time for us to do something. Posting our complaints here in this sterile LinkedIn "containment area" (where search engines cannot pick up our words) has not even yielded a serious response from LI, let alone a solution.

If you have not already done so, please click on the LI Groups link below and join us to lend the power of your voice and the weight of your argument to a very dynamic campaign group on the main LI site, if you want to exercise more control over how people can view your profile in a more public place where what we say and do can make a difference. Please also remember to spread the word.

Campaign Against Anonymous Browsing and for an Opt Out or Blocking Tool on LinkedIn:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=6577480

Group Summary:

This Campaign Group is also an Information Resource Center on Anonymous Browsing with lots of facts, figures and statistics to enable anyone to understand all aspects of the issue, the real cause behind it, why it happens, when it happens, who does it and why they do it.

LinkedIn currently allows Anonymous Browsing. Members of this Group advocate for a ban on anonymous views or the ability to block or opt out of the attentions of Anonymous Browsers. We deserve the ability to prevent Anonymous browsers from viewing our Profiles.
      Joseph Mashburn Nov 04 '13 at 11:12 PM
      Top Response
      Yep, hard to fake an account. I'd be quite suspicious of those individuals.
        Sam Bailey Jan 18 at 12:24 PM
        It's time for us to do something. Posting our complaints here in this sterile LinkedIn "containment area" (where search engines cannot pick up our words) has not even yielded a serious response from LI, let alone a solution.

If you have not already done so, please click on the LI Groups link below and join us to lend the power of your voice and the weight of your argument to a very dynamic campaign group on the main LI site, if you want to exercise more control over how people can view your profile in a more public place where what we say and do can make a difference. Please also remember to spread the word.

Campaign Against Anonymous Browsing and for an Opt Out or Blocking Tool on LinkedIn:

Group Summary:

This Campaign Group is also an Information Resource Center on Anonymous Browsing with lots of facts, figures and statistics to enable anyone to understand all aspects of the issue, the real cause behind it, why it happens, when it happens, who does it and why they do it.

LinkedIn currently allows Anonymous Browsing. Members of this Group advocate for a ban on anonymous views or the ability to block or opt out of the attentions of Anonymous Browsers. We deserve the ability to prevent Anonymous browsers from viewing our Profiles.
        Renee Kuhs Jan 18 at 04:13 AM
        Top Response
        If I pay a monthly fee to see who views my profile, so I would appreciate the option to block anonymous viewers. Seems like no brainer.
          Sam Bailey Jan 18 at 12:23 PM

Group Summary:

10|0 characters needed